2017 CX-5 CarPlay instability...Any advice?

For about the last month I've been having recurring problems with CarPlay. I've been using CarPlay nearly constantly ever since I had the dealer put in the upgrade kit when it became available for my 2017 CX-5, and I've never had issues until now.

When I start up the car and plug in my phone, everything happens as normal. I start listening to a podcast, back out of the driveway, and start driving. Once I'm a few streets away (more than 30 seconds, less than 2 minutes?) the car's infotainment screen blanks out and then shows a Mazda logo for a while, which I interpret to mean that it crashed and rebooted. If the phone is still plugged in, it will then show a message about how CarPlay was not responding, and I should pull off the road and disconnect and reconnect the phone. Once I do reconnect the phone, it works fine for the rest of my trip.

This doesn't happen all the time. But it's 80+% of the time now, after having been ~50% of the time when it first started.

Some things I've tried so far:
  • Updated iOS from 16.1 to 16.2
  • Replaced the USB cable
  • Switched podcasting apps (in the unlikely case it was sending bad audio data)
  • Told my phone to forget the car and then repair
From browsing the forum a bit one thing that I haven't tried yet is upgrading my car's firmware; I didn't see indications that it helped someone with a problem like mine, but it might help and probably won't hurt. (I'm on 70.00.335 NA N right now)

But I'm hoping the community can also offer suggestions of other things to try, too. Those may be quicker or have a higher likelihood of fixing my problem.

Thanks in advance!

Remove the SD card from the slot if there is one there. Test it.
(Friend has a 17 and had this exact issue and this fixed it).

Upvote 1
Solution
I'll give that a shot on my way home tonight!

I assume this means that the car's maps are no longer accessible, which I'm probably ok with. But did your friend have a longer term way to enable both?

Upvote 0
At this point, he's pissed that Mazda wants $400 for a new card. I'll let him tell you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221220-093220.png
    Screenshot_20221220-093220.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0
At this point, he's pissed that Mazda wants $400 for a new card. I'll let him tell you.
🤣

In my drive home from work yesterday I’d taken out the map SD card and got home without the Mazda system crashing. That does sometimes happen, so I’ll want to give it a few more trips before I call this “solved”, but it’s a really good sign!

Upvote 0

Now that some time has passed, it's meaningful to say I haven't had Mazda infotainment crash a single time while using CarPlay since I made this change you suggested. This is it!

Upvote 0
Back