2013~2016 2016 GT - Fog Lights Not Working? Or User Error?

Hi:

Just bought a 2016 GT and I'm inspecting it before final sign-off on the purchase.

Seems like everything's working fine except the fog lights, which won't turn on no matter which position the headlight switch is in. Is there something I'm missing here?

(This is highly likely, since I haven't bought a car since 2005 and I'm finding the computerized customization options for this car somewhat challenging)

I've seen some comments on this forum about searching for posts on this subject, but I'm doing that and not finding anything relevant. Ditto for the Net. If anyone has ideas for a new CX-5 owner on this, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Oh, OK - I see what you mean. Thx, dwill! Yes, this is the ring that I've been turning to try to get the fog lights to turn on/off. It doesn't seem to have any effect, no matter what position the headlight switch is in, or whether the car is running or not.

On the light stock, there are 2 control rings. One for the main headlights of course. Then there is another ring on the same stock to turn fogs on or off.

Sounds like you found this though, so I am just going to assume fogs are out and might need new bulbs. Mine are halogens. Are the fogs on the GT LED's? Does anyone know?

Oh, OK - I see what you mean. Thx, dwill! Yes, this is the ring that I've been turning to try to get the fog lights to turn on/off. It doesn't seem to have any effect, no matter what position the headlight switch is in, or whether the car is running or not.

Fogs only work with low beams. If high beams are on, or parking lights, or no lights... fogs won't work.
And you will hardly notice them from the driver's seat. Do you have someone looking at the fogs directly?

I just tested on my 2016 GT and the fogs only come on when the engine is running or the ignition is in the "ON" state (two Start/Stop button presses without foot on the brake) and the main headlights are on.

On the light stock, there are 2 control rings. One for the main headlights of course. Then there is another ring on the same stock to turn fogs on or off.

Sounds like you found this though, so I am just going to assume fogs are out and might need new bulbs. Mine are halogens. Are the fogs on the GT LED's? Does anyone know?

The base 2016 GT had halogens. If you got the Tech package, they were LEDs.

Fogs only work with low beams. If high beams are on, or parking lights, or no lights... fogs won't work.
And you will hardly notice them from the driver's seat. Do you have someone looking at the fogs directly?
I think it's pretty noticable from the drivers seat.

Thx, everyone. I'm certain at this point that there's a problem with the fog lights. Hoping it's just burned out bulbs...but we'll see

I won't be surprised if mazda forgot to connect the fog lights. In one of my earlier Toyota RAV 4, toyota had forgot to connect the headlight washer sprinkler and the earlier owner for two years did not notice that. I used the 3 year warranty clause and got toyota to fix it for free.

Thx, everyone. I'm certain at this point that there's a problem with the fog lights. Hoping it's just burned out bulbs...but we'll see
You need to find out if this 2016 CX-5 GT comes with optional Tech Package. An easy way is to check the headlights and see if they have LED accent DRLs, or at least if the headlights have white LED color temperature. If it has LED headlights, its fog lights are also LEDs which are very expensive to replace. But I doubt these LED fog lights would burned out this fast. Check fog light fuse first.

If you do have LED headlights, make sure your LED DRLs are still working. Further, make sure both headlight units are the latest J version.

And the winner is...raj55! Took it to the garage today, and yep - Mazda had neglected to connect the things. Easy fix - phew! Thx again to everyone for their help!

You mean theyve never been connected from new or they were fitted as an accessory?
In US, the fog lights are installed from factory for 2016 CX-5 GT. The OP didnt say if his newly purchased CX-5 GT comes with optional Tech Package or not which would make the fog lights the LED.

Hopefully thiss not the indication that the quality control in Mazda factory is having some minor issues like Toyotas example mentioned by raj55 ⋯

Hopefully thiss not the indication that the quality control in Mazda factory is having some minor issues like Toyotas example mentioned by raj55 ⋯

Yea, because failing fogs are now common, too?!?

Yea, because failing fogs are now common, too?!?
Apples and oranges. A disconnected wire on fog lights can be caught during the QA on assembly line, but the flickering LED DRLs after a year or two can't. One is workmanship issue, one is reliability or design issue on components.

Back