2015 AWD Sport getting less MPG than expected

Based on the info here, I am getting decent gas mileage around 24MPG based on mix city/highway and when on the highway I do about 65-75 and use cruise when on the interstate where I can. Far better than my gas guzzler sequoia's loved them, but hated the 15-16MPG.

You must drive in a lot of stop-n-go traffic to only average 24 mpg. My worst tank ever in over two years is 29 mpg. I don't know of any other AWD that can do that in real world driving in a northern climate.

first winter with my 2015 AWD and i just had about 9.6L/100km (24.5MPG)… i just went about 510KM which is about 315 mi (with 1 block of light on the gas meter left, and 10km left on the range.. almost peed my pants trying to find a gas station lol)

are the numbers close to where u guys are getting? I do mostly city driving...

My 2015 GT AWD has about 3k miles and I'm getting about 27.5 mpg pretty much without trying. I usually drive about 70 on the highway.

I have a 13' Touring and I seem to be getting very low mileage compared to what you guys have gotten. I drive 80% on stop and go traffic in NYC, barely can go over 20 in the city and I'm getting around 16.6mpg,when I do drive on the highway it isn't for long periods and it seems to always have traffic, there I have been getting 21.5mpg.I have 52,320 miles on mine but Ill be doing a lot more highway driving this next few weeks as I am going to be going Upstate, Ill see what kind of mileage I get. I have absolutely nothing in my car in terms of extra weight other than what the spare tire, jack etc. and 1 or 2 quarts of oil, although for the most part I drive with 4 other adults, my tire pressure has always been topped off, I also do a lot of idling because of these annoying NYC lights, could it also be that the excess oil in my engine is dropping my mpg, I have about a half or 3/4 of an inch over the second dot on the dipstick. Any suggestions on driving styles or other tips to get better gas mileage such as the best speeds to achieve high mpg? And this is kind of a dumb question but if I go under 20 or 15mph will the mpg significantly decrease?

Answer to your end question, yes, a lot!

To check your car is sound, drive at 45mph on a flat road in top gear, check your instantaneous mpg readout, if it is what you expect ( a nice high reading) then your car is fine. Any deviation from that speed will lower your mpg, especially if you are in stop start traffic, driving up hills and also if you decide to cruise at more than 60 - 65mph on highway. It's not the most aerodynamic object!

My suggestion would be to move to the Netherlands and buy a diesel!

Answer to your end question, yes, a lot!

To check your car is sound, drive at 45mph on a flat road in top gear, check your instantaneous mpg readout, if it is what you expect ( a nice high reading) then your car is fine. Any deviation from that speed will lower your mpg, especially if you are in stop start traffic, driving up hills and also if you decide to cruise at more than 60 - 65mph on highway. It's not the most aerodynamic object!

My suggestion would be to move to the Netherlands and buy a diesel!

great idea, any dutch owners on this forum care to tell us what they're getting?

If you're running the oil level 3/4 of an inch above the full mark on the dipstick - then, yes, the excess oil is probably reducing your gas mileage.

Regards:
Oldengineer

After driving a '13 2.0L for one year and averaging around 31 mpg, my 1.5 years experience with a '14 2.5L indicates an average of 27 mpg, so a difference of around 4 mpg all around. I don't mind, however, as I've seen gas prices as low as $2.13 here in NC, but down to around $1.90 at some stations in Virginia.

I'll will probably look to trade in another 2 years and will consider the CX-5 again, but would also be interested in any eventual AWD/Diesel or higher powered petrol model Mazda 3's, 6's, or CX-3's that might provide a bit more torque.

Back