2014 CX-5 - What's the best audio format for USB drive?

Well...as it says. Is there a best audio format? WMA? MP3? M4A?

Also...how to arrange files on the USB drive for more rapid access.

The best is FLAC or LOSSLESS WAV. IDK if the Mazda supports that in 14.
2nd best would be 320K MP3.

Unless you listen and can tell the difference yourself, just go with the easiest/most common, which is MP3.

As for arranging the files, you can rename the tracks&folders (for albums) how you want them. Then use "folder" view to aee them in the order you want. Otherwise, if the tracks all include 'tag' metadata, you can view in album or artist (etc) view.

This is just an example of how I name mine (I alsways use folder view). I can scroll to the artist-album I want (folder name), then the tracks are listed in order (filename) based on prepending the track number. YMMV.

1701708598136.png

...Otherwise, if the tracks all include 'tag' metadata, you can view in album or artist (etc) view...
The files are rips from CD's using Windows' Media and all have the 'tag' metadata since I view them by Album/Artist/Genre.

I don't really think there's a way to view them by folder in the 2014 CX5 infotainment ctr. The only other choice would be view by SONG, which is exactly that: every song in a list. Useless with a USB that has 40 or 50 CD's of songs on it.

I've tried using MP3, WMA, M4A formats and they all share the same problem: it can take 2 minutes or more for the 2014 CX5 infotainment center to recognize the USB, read through the folders and then present me with a screen to make a selection (it does not recognize FLAC, lossless). Sometimes it completely fails to do even that; and some USB's it completely fails to read too. It even takes a minute or so when I restart the vehicle to re-start the song that was playing. I put each album in it's own sub-folder in the root of the USB.

I know it's almost 10 years old now, but is the processor in it really that slow? Or is it something I'm setting up wrong that could make it faster? I'm trying to get my wife to stop toting around a couple dozen CD's so she has whatever she wants with her. It's also the way we have to use the 2021 Mazda 3 we just got that dropped the CD player entirely.

Last edited:
The processor is, unfortunately, that slow or there's not enough RAM to run the operation or something. It is the car.
I've seen his complaint a lot over the years. Cataloging a large USB stick does take quite some time.

So treat yourself to a new Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, or JVC. Personally I run Kenwood.

You won't be sorry.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't notice you had a 2014. There was a recall for replacing the Bluetooth/USB system (or a TSB, which means only free during warranty), but I was so frustrated with ours that I swapped out the head unit before that TSB/Recall became active.

Another thing to note with that old system, is that the files/folders are displayed in the order they are written to the USB drive, NOT alphabetically. You can download a tool such as 'Drivesort' to rearrange them on your PC if you want to.

Sorry, I didn't notice you had a 2014. There was a recall for replacing the Bluetooth/USB system (or a TSB, which means only free during warranty), but I was so frustrated with ours that I swapped out the head unit before that TSB/Recall became active.

Another thing to note with that old system, is that the files/folders are displayed in the order they are written to the USB drive, NOT alphabetically. You can download a tool such as 'Drivesort' to rearrange them on your PC if you want to.

I'm pretty sure I had the TSB work done under warranty, a long time ago obviously. I know that before the TSB couldn't get it to play anything through USB or Bluetooth/phone. But then, after that my wife just played music on CD's and we never really explored using USB. Using it now it plays well, just slow to read the drive.

But I still am not seeing how you get a folders listing however weird it is; just a songs listing which I THINK is all the songs, but maybe the folders are mixed in there.

Last edited:
So yourself a treat yourself to a new Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, or JVC. Personally I run Kenwood.

You won't be sorry.
The correct answer. You are absolutely lucky to have this choice. Literally 100 different choices that fit your car.

Last edited:
But I still am not seeing how you get a folders listing however weird it is; just a songs listing which I THINK is all the songs, but maybe the folders are mixed in there.
Yeah, sorry, it was 10 years ago and only for a short while before I replaced it. I cannot remember the choice for folders now, but I know it did have it.

Latest posts

Back