2014 CX-5 2.2L Diesel with oil pressure problem

I cannot recommend a Mazda or a CX5 to anyone; in fact I would urge everyone to avoid buying this car. There is a big problem with the Mazda engines that allow them to block the oil strainer causing P055F and P0524 error codes to come up. These codes cause the red oil pressure and yellow check engine light to come up on the dash.

My car is a 2017 CX5 Skyactive diesel. Mazda have fixed it at a cost of £1600 and the car has been regularly serviced by a Mazda main dealer in the UK. The car has been used for long motorway miles, so it really should not have had this problem.

It turns out the strainer was blocked by carbon deposits. The strainer is essentially a filter inside the car, which cannot be replaced without significant dismantling of the oil sump, removal of the oil pump, and dismantling the oil pump to get to the oil strainer. The oil strainer costs just £25 but the labour made up the lion share of the cost. Why would you put a filter in such an inaccessible part of the car? Oil filters, air filters and even cabin filters are easy to get to - so why do this? Why make it so hard to replace a part that is going to get blocked?

This is my first and last Mazda - awful experience. Costly and stressful. Not impressed with Mazda at all.
Curious, does this filter have a maintenance schedule for changing it?

Another 2.2L diesel CX-5 guy came over here and complained, and said don’t buy ANY Mazda’s. I simply pointed out the problem is the 2.2L diesel, not all Mazda’s. Anything wrong with that? :unsure:

Refer to the post you quoted. Saying "what do you expect" is not helpful, in fact it's like you're blaming the owner for the problems they're having by implying that they should have known better than to buy a 2.2 diesel CX-5.

Back