2013 iPod integration problems

Tony407

I went to my local dealership today and checked out a new 2013 GT with the tech package. The problem I ran into is that it took over 5 minutes for the system to finishing "reading" my iPod before I could do anything with it. Then I was surprised to see that there wasn't a way to search by artist. Most vehicles allow you to input at least a letter, for example "J" so you can find Elton John or Journey. No such luck. Also, it didn't appear to support my playlist info either, and when pressing the playlist button nothing came up.

I was using a 120 GB iPod classic with about 9,500 songs. I know that's a lot of songs, but in all my other vehicles plus the several I've been test driving recently there didn't seem to be the problems I saw in the CX-9.

I absolutely loved the rest of the vehicle. The iPod issue was a deal breaker because most of the music I listen to is via iPod.

This leads me to a larger question: Has anyone added an aftermarket head unit to the new 2013s? I did a search with negative results. Crutchfield shows they have a custom kit for the 2007+ CX-9 but it appears to me that the 2013 is a different size unit, and I'm generally leery about getting installation information from Crutchfield anyway. I'm quite the DIY-er when it comes to installs, and replacing a head unit isn't a big deal to me (nor is swapping out speakers, amps & wiring on a Bose system). But I wasn't sure how integrated the 2013 infotainment system was with the rest of the car's systems. It appeared the HVAC and other controls were separate, which is a good thing. I see that the 2012 CX-9s seem to be quite easy to do a head unit swap and was hoping the 2013 was the same.

Tony

I use my IPod with my 2013 daily. True, it takes a couple minutes to read the data, but its worth it. I only have 3500 songs, but by time a get a mile from my house it starts playing. You can search by artist with voice commands, and it actually works very good. I know it doesnt have the "resume" feature, so when you shut it off and back on later, it has to read the IPod again - but I can live with that. I actually use Pandora most all the time now anyways. Comparing to the 2011 CX-9 I had, the NAV and Audio systems are much better in the 2013.
Go for it - you wont be disapointed. Its a great vehicle.

I have a 2012 GT, and the "Tech" aspects of the car are its weakest features--BT phone features, audio accessibility, etc--my other car is a 2007, and other than the lack of Bluetooth streaming, my other car's Tech features are ahead of the 2012 Mazda. It doesn't surprise me that the 2013 update doesn't bring it up to par with competitors--just closer, and not quite as far behind.

I use my IPod with my 2013 daily. True, it takes a couple minutes to read the data, but its worth it. I only have 3500 songs, but by time a get a mile from my house it starts playing. You can search by artist with voice commands, and it actually works very good. I know it doesnt have the "resume" feature, so when you shut it off and back on later, it has to read the IPod again - but I can live with that. I actually use Pandora most all the time now anyways. Comparing to the 2011 CX-9 I had, the NAV and Audio systems are much better in the 2013.
Go for it - you wont be disapointed. Its a great vehicle.

You can use voice to search by artist? Can you please be specific? When I used the help feature the only voice commands it had for iPod control was pause/play, advance/go back, and mute (there may have been others, but searching via voice command certainly wasn't there). Is there a PDF version of the owners manual floating around the Internet somewhere?

Regardless, 5 minutes to wait for the iPod to get going each and every time I start the car sounds like it would drive me crazy. That would get old real fast. I don't think I would get used to it.

Tony

Yes, the search by artist works great. Start the voice command from the steering wheel and say " Play artist Muse" or "Play artist Rolling Stones" , the sweet lady confirms the artist by voice, and on screen, and if you say YES, it loads the songs from that artist. IT even picks up uncommon ones like "Hoobastank". Never had any problems wit it. But again, I use a lot more Pandora then I do IPod, but the IPod is always connected and ready to play.

Here is a link to Mazda manuals:

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayManualsByModelAndYearHome.action

Back