2010 CX-9 GT Rear lift gate won't close, just bounces and stays open

LordJezo

Doesn't latch manually or with the motor. If I push the button it beeps and that's it. If I try to close it the gate just bounces and isn't latching.

The motor and struts are fine, I can open and close it smoothly, the little latch thing inside the gate won't lock. It just hits the metal hook on the vehicle and that's it. You can pull it open because nothing is locking.

Update to the button, when it's closed but not locked because the latch doesn't work the gate goes up with the motor fine.

Once it's up and you push the button it moves slightly then beeps three times. Pushing the button on the hatch gate itself it beeps three times and doesn't move. I can push it down with my hand and it closes but doesn't lock so it just bounces down there. It stays down but can be pulled up easily.

Did you check to be sure that nothing has fallen down into the latch area that could be blocking the mechanism from engaging? If that area is clean you may need to remove the hatch cover to get a better look at what is going on with the mechanism.

Did you check to be sure that nothing has fallen down into the latch area that could be blocking the mechanism from engaging? If that area is clean you may need to remove the hatch cover to get a better look at what is going on with the mechanism.
The latch you mean the metal hook on the car itself? That is free and clear. Nothing stuck in the middle of it and the opening looks fine.

Mechanism then is the thing on the door that locks? How do I remove the hatch cover? I don't see any way to get to it.

It's a lot of trim work to get the whole panel off and that may be needed to get the lock mechanism out. However, there is a small cover on the inside just behind the mechanism that you can pop out and perhaps that will give you more insight at to what the issue could be.

Here is the latch and inside the little panel. I dont know much about what I am looking at here.

PXL_20240428_133007595.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240428_133028686.NIGHT.jpg

It's a lot of trim work to get the whole panel off and that may be needed to get the lock mechanism out. However, there is a small cover on the inside just behind the mechanism that you can pop out and perhaps that will give you more insight at to what the issue could be.

PXL_20240428_151927464.jpg

I watched a replacement video on YouTube for a CX-5 and it doesn't look so bad. Problem is finding the right part. RockAuto does not have any Actuator locks in stock for a 2010 CX-9. Anyone know a good place to buy a proper part?

I think your actuator may be stuck in the closed position. Here's a pic of mine with the hatch open and it shows the bottom of the 'U' is open. Perhaps you can manipulate yours to this position and try again. A large screwdriver below that latch, hold the handle open and try to pry it open may do the trick.

Perhaps a good soaking with penetrating oil first would not hurt as well.

IMG_7010.jpg

I think your actuator may be stuck in the closed position. Here's a pic of mine with the hatch open and it shows the bottom of the 'U' is open. Perhaps you can manipulate yours to this position and try again. A large screwdriver below that latch, hold the handle open and try to pry it open may do the trick.

Perhaps a good soaking with penetrating oil first would not hurt as well.

View attachment 327669

Yup, that was it.

Ended up taking the entire back of the car apart to fully look at everything and take it out.

PXL_20240428_165026104.jpg

Using the inside latch release, which I now know exists and can be accessed from the rear access panel, I was able to get the locking mechanism down from the lock position to look like yours.

PXL_20240428_171053460.jpg

It looks pretty beat up, most likely from it being pushed down a few times last night when trying to close it before I realized what was going on. There looks to be a big crack down the middle of the exposed part from before.

1.png

So while I am at it, does anyone know where to get a replacement for this? 2010 Grand Touring with Power Liftgate. Might as well put a fresh one in if I'm having issues with the original.

Right now everything is back to working. I can open and close it manually as well as using the auto lift. RockAuto doesnt have the part so does anyone know where to get a good one?

I don't suppose you have a pick and pull yard nearby? Given you know what it take to get to it now that could work. Although they are few and far between these days. Sadly, the only other option may be the dealership but perhaps you can find a discount dealer on-line.

eBay... You just have to be careful about the condition. I purchased a replacement because mine was allowing movement and rattled, but the replacement had the same problem. There is a white plastic block inside the assembly that the latch holds the striker agains when closed. That piece gets worn down over time and allows movement of the latch inside the locking mechanism. So if you get a used one, install it and before you put all the trim back on, close the trunk and then from inside grab that big metal piece of the trunk right in front of the latch and give it a few tugs back and forth to make sure the latch is holding tight and not clicking with each pull.
Prices vary new but I put a link below to the cheapest one I found online for about $500. Part # TD12-62-310D. You can find them used on eBay for around $100 by searching something along the lines of "2007-2015 mazda cx9 trunk actuator".

eBay... You just have to be careful about the condition. I purchased a replacement because mine was allowing movement and rattled, but the replacement had the same problem. There is a white plastic block inside the assembly that the latch holds the striker agains when closed. That piece gets worn down over time and allows movement of the latch inside the locking mechanism. So if you get a used one, install it and before you put all the trim back on, close the trunk and then from inside grab that big metal piece of the trunk right in front of the latch and give it a few tugs back and forth to make sure the latch is holding tight and not clicking with each pull.
Prices vary new but I put a link below to the cheapest one I found online for about $500. Part # TD12-62-310D. You can find them used on eBay for around $100 by searching something along the lines of "2007-2015 mazda cx9 trunk actuator".

Thanks, I found one one ebay for a $129. It came end of last week and I attached it this morning. Appears to be working. I am going to keep the old one around as an emergency spare.

This is a really rare part! I saw the online store prices like you mentioned, wow, $500 to almost $1000 depending on who was selling it. I wonder if the car is even worth that at this point. Ha. This one seemed to be in a decent enough condition. It started working once I got it plugged in and ready. At this point everything on this car is slowly cracking apart so hopefully this will give me a little more life!
Although they are few and far between these days.

Tell me about it! I was shocked when I didnt see it on Rock Auto and then looking around online this thing is apparently super rare. No after market knock offs or anything. I couldnt find anything on the junk yard searches so ended up on eBay. Will see how it goes. What an adventure this one was.

Back