2008.5 MS3 Stock Stereo Issues Thread

naddie

Since we now all know about the 34-35 problem, as well as other sound issues, I was hoping we can have a single thread about it. This is also where I'd like to see updates on what Mazda (or at least what people say their Mazda dealers) are saying.

A few said that Mazda is aware of the issue and looking into it, perhaps a future firmware update or possibly a revised/replacement HU.

To note, it is not just the Bose HU, so please when asking about it at your dealer, please mention the non-Bose unit as well (the minority still needs a fix!).

One other thing I noticed is that every once in a while, the driver side (left speakers?) sounds like the speakers are blown. However, that's after a while of playing. It sounds fine for the first 10-15 minutes, sometimes even up to an hour. I thought it was the speakers until I noticed that it only happens after a while of playing, not all the time. I'm attributing this to the HU as well, so I won't do anything to the speakers until Mazda fixes the HU issue first.

Anyone else notice this? There is a definate sound quality difference between left and right (use the balance control and judge for yourself). The difference is so big that I get dizzy and sick from listening to my radio when it happens. It almost feels like you have to pop your ears.

ALC is always off.

Last edited:
One other thing I noticed is that every once in a while, the driver side (left speakers?) sounds like the speakers are blown. However, that's after a while of playing. It sounds fine for the first 10-15 minutes, sometimes even up to an hour. I thought it was the speakers until I noticed that it only happens after a while of playing, not all the time. I'm attributing this to the HU as well, so I won't do anything to the speakers until Mazda fixes the HU issue first.

Anyone else notice this? There is a definate sound quality difference between left and right (use the balance control and judge for yourself). The difference is so big that I get dizzy and sick from listening to my radio when it happens. It almost feels like you have to pop your ears.

ALC is always off.

This was the first problem I've noticed with my radio. There's a distorted buzzing from the lower left speaker. Of course it wasn't acting up for the service techs, so no resolution. I'm getting my radio flashed or replaced or whatever they're gonna do to fix the bass from cutting out. I'm hoping the distortion problem disappears too.

These problems are on my HATCH 2008.5 M3 GT w/ Bose.

2008.5 MS3-GT with the Bose MP3 system

I have a severe rattle/buzz on the front right door speaker on mine. It seems most prevalant on natural bass frequencies like a bass guitar or lower keys from a piano. So basically almost all good music it will buzz.

Back