2005 Mazda6 3.0L V6 ATX Replacement

gt_swagger

:
2005 Mazda6 Sport Hatchback (3.0L V6)
Howdy all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

My 6 has been having some shift issues at the high end ... 4th through 6th ... particularly when you punch it. It is a dead match to the description of Service Bulletin TSB 05-016/06 ( http://www.6crew.com/files/tsb/05-016-06-1725.pdf ) ... long story short it will require a new valve body. Given that this has probably been less than kind to the clutch and it already has 100K miles on it, a remanufactured transmission is the route I'm going to take. (I'm more than a little pissed Mazda quietly issued a service bulletin instead of a recall on this.)

Since I already have to have the engine taken out of the car completely ... this is probably a great time to do other work to the engine at somewhat reduced cost. Friends of mine who work on other cars say it would be a good time to replace the water pump, chain drive tensioner, and a few other things. My question to those more familiar directly with Mazdas and the 6 is ... what other work should I go ahead and do while it is in for such a major surgery?

I'm digging into this same issue and it seems to me that you can replace the valve body from the topside and do not need to pull the ATX. I'll keep you posted on what I find but if anyone has any info on the control valve body replacement procedure please chime in. Our 6 wagon has been hard downshifting to fourth for a while and is now shuddering into 5th/6th when cold.

Back