2004 MSM with 5k on the clock

:
2008 Mazda MX-5 5MT PRHT
Hey all! Been quite a LONG time since I've mosied on over to this neck of the woods (by that I mean the M247.com forums). It's been almost 8 months since I've even owned a Mazda (sold the Mazda5 and I'm sure my signature is out of date by now). However, I'm trying for a new job which will offer me the freedom to get a car I've been dying to get for a long time (since owning my MSP at least). The coveted MSM. There's one in silver for sale that I've found by a very reputable dealer. It has 5k miles on the odo which is basically brand new. However, the engine bay looks like the car has had an EXTREMELY hard 5k miles or was left out to rot somewhere. Again, the dealer is extremely reputable but if I'm planning on laying down $16k on a 10+ year old car, I need to know it's history, which according to Carfax, doesn't list any accidents. There's another one elsewhere for the same money, same color, but 20k miles and is in seemingly immaculate shape.

Here's my questions to the community. Does anyone know who's car this might be (it's currently in Jax-ville, FL)? What are some tell-tale signs of a hard driven MSM? What are some common issues that begin to arise in an MSM this old (regardless of miles)? What are some common things to look out for as a whole?

Coming from the MSP world (I had a Spicy of all colors too... dreaded Spicy curse), I know ALL about Mazda, their turbos, and the little quirks that come with them. Don't sugar coat it. If need be, I'll opt for a 2010-2012 MX-5 for a similar price with a little more miles.

Here's the picture of the hard ridden 5k one.
1440.jpg

you should "mosie" on over to mazda-speed forum...you'll be sure to get what you're looking for there! i;m 2004msm over there, great people and very knowledable and helpful...introduce yourself and provide as much info about the car as possible
http://www.mazda-speed.com/
mark

you should "mosie" on over to mazda-speed forum...you'll be sure to get what you're looking for there! i;m 2004msm over there, great people and very knowledable and helpful...introduce yourself and provide as much info about the car as possible. and from my experience, that is not a 5k engine bay!!! that is a mess and not very well treated or maintained...by the looks of it!
http://www.mazda-speed.com/
mark
attachment.php

My thoughts exactly. It's Carmax. They sold me my prized X-Runner and it only had 6k on the clock and was super clean. This one... not so much.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks Joe. I posted a welcome post. I'll tool around on there for some good info. There's a silver one with 21k on the clock that I'm dying to get but I have to wait for this new job to come through or else my MSM dreams are smashed... for now. lol

ya, that car can't be from GA it's got way to much corrosion and "wear" for 5k miles...my ride has 90k and it looks like new...

Its in Jacksonville, FL. My guess is that it was covered in water at one point and the owner never reported it to the insurance.

That would make some sense as that engine bay looks horrid for having 5K. I'd keep looking, Spring is here so more MSM's will start hitting the market.

Latest posts

Back