2003 Protege5 vs. 2002 Protege5: what's better, what's different?

what about roof racks? i noticed 03 without racks has a smoother looking roof than the 02 cuz of the caps does that mean the 02 only needs to add the bars to have racks?

The P5's with no racks and no caps, and a completely smooth roof are (for the most part) Canadian or otherwise non-USDM, unless they have been retrofitted.

The P5's with no racks and no caps, and a completely smooth roof are (for the most part) Canadian or otherwise non-USDM, unless they have been retrofitted.

Correction.....the roof rack was standard on 02, 02.5 and 03 USDM models and became optional on the 03.5. For approx. $160 you can buy the roof rail strips from the dealer to get rid of the rack entirely. Doing so requires you to remove the headliner.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123671179-How-To-Remove-Roof-Rack-(P5)

ok but what i want to know is if i wanted to add the racks to my 02 being i already have that black filler on it can i just pull up the rack deletes and add racks without having to pull headliner and half interior? or am i missing something here and need to do everything

ok but what i want to know is if i wanted to add the racks to my 02 being i already have that black filler on it can i just pull up the rack deletes and add racks without having to pull headliner and half interior? or am i missing something here and need to do everything

Not sure what you mean by black filler?....but if your roof looks like this, then all you need to do is remove the filler caps and add the crossbars.

9X0X5.jpg

Not sure what you mean by black filler?....but if your roof looks like this, then all you need to do is remove the filler caps and add the crossbars.

9X0X5.jpg
Yes thats exactly what mine looks like.. cool so i dont need to drill nothing just remove the caps and add bars. Thanks CT

Oooh can I steal your roof rack deletes? :) I've been thinking about it for a while since I don't use them at all.

Thanks for the correction, that's my bad.

Well it can be hard to remember all of the changes they made across four variations of standard/optional equipment in two years. Lol

Ct's caps are in better condition than mine i have 2 that are missing a oiece on them. they were like that when i bought it

Yw for that and not a pic of my caps. Just something i found quick via google. I had the smooth rail strips at one point but sold them. Just didnt feel like dropping the head liner.

FYI anyone searching this thread for cool ideas to get different things for your p5 the 1st gen mazda 6 shift knob fits our cars and looks better its leather and metal(metal where the pattern is so wont wear out and look ugly) and kinda looks like a small baseball the way its sewn together. i think it looks better

Attachments

• 20150405_095135.jpg
    20150405_095135.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I want to put the tiptronic in my car but I was worried about having to swap out the whole transmission. What parts do you need to swap to be able to install it?

Last edited:
FYI anyone searching this thread for cool ideas to get different things for your p5 the 1st gen mazda 6 shift knob fits our cars and looks better its leather and metal(metal where the pattern is so wont wear out and look ugly) and kinda looks like a small baseball the way its sewn together. i think it looks better

I remember many a scorched palm on that in my '03 Mazda6s. :)

Back