2002 Protege5 DEAD Auto-Transmission after FSZE Swap

Sophomore

:
Protege LX
Hey guys, I purchased a Protege5 knowing it had a bad motor. I swapped in a FSZE and it ran strong for about 30 miles and shortly after the transmission died. No forward, no reverse. Sounds like it is in neutral and throws a P0750 code "Shift Solenoid A Malfunction"

This was my first time messing with any car so i'm sure I just messed up something during the installation.

I plan on taking it apart to take a look to see if I can find the issue. If I can't I was wondering: Is there any difference between the JDM Auto-transmission and the USDM tranny? If so, what would I need to swap to make it run?

I can't answer your question, but I just pulled the auto out of my car for a manual swap. If it goes well I'll be selling my auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, I purchased a Protege5 knowing it had a bad motor. I swapped in a FSZE and it ran strong for about 30 miles and shortly after the transmission died. No forward, no reverse. Sounds like it is in neutral and throws a P0750 code "Shift Solenoid A Malfunction"

This was my first time messing with any car so i'm sure I just messed up something during the installation.

I plan on taking it apart to take a look to see if I can find the issue. If I can't I was wondering: Is there any difference between the JDM Auto-transmission and the USDM tranny? If so, what would I need to swap to make it run?

I can't tell you if there is any difference between JDM/Auto transmissions. Assuming the year is correct, check the electrical plugs and bracketry. You will still want to swap the external sensors from the USDM.

How did you mate the transmission and torque converter? It is very important that the torque converter is installed correctly to prevent pump damage. Here is the correct procedure.

1. Slide torque converter into trans, ensuring that the converter engages the pump drive.
2. Mate engine and trans, when mated, torque converter should move in and out slightly and spin freely.
3. Install torque converter bolts, continue assembly.

In the event of a total electrical systems failure, you should still have reverse and one forward gear. Your problem is most likely in the pump drive or torque converter.

I can't answer your question, but I just pulled the auto out of my car for a manual swap. If it goes well I'll be selling my auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it trip-tonic? How many miles?

I can't tell you if there is any difference between JDM/Auto transmissions. Assuming the year is correct, check the electrical plugs and bracketry. You will still want to swap the external sensors from the USDM.

How did you mate the transmission and torque converter? It is very important that the torque converter is installed correctly to prevent pump damage. Here is the correct procedure.

1. Slide torque converter into trans, ensuring that the converter engages the pump drive.
2. Mate engine and trans, when mated, torque converter should move in and out slightly and spin freely.
3. Install torque converter bolts, continue assembly.

In the event of a total electrical systems failure, you should still have reverse and one forward gear. Your problem is most likely in the pump drive or torque converter.

That is exactly what I thought was wrong. The mechanic at work says that this was probably the issue. How would I fix this?

JDM SPORT20 transmissions

Activematic (FWD) SAME AS P5

EC-AT (4WD)

5 SPEED MT (4WD)

Awesome, and trip-tonic does not matter?

Is it trip-tonic? How many miles?

That is exactly what I thought was wrong. The mechanic at work says that this was probably the issue. How would I fix this?

Awesome, and trip-tonic does not matter?

I would start by pulling the torque converter bolts and seeing if it spins freely.

I missed that you quoted my post. It's a 02 protege5 transmission so no tiptronic, 167k mi. The transmission fluid hadn't been changed since 113k so I have the old fluid if you want that too. I just swapped it out for fun, it was working properly.

I missed that you quoted my post. It's a 02 protege5 transmission so no tiptronic, 167k mi. The transmission fluid hadn't been changed since 113k so I have the old fluid if you want that too. I just swapped it out for fun, it was working properly.

I'll half to research it a bit. but I also have a 02 P5. Just with triptonic.

Back