2001 DX Reluctant to Start

:
2001 Mazda Protege DX
Hello all,

I have a 2001 Protege DX with 214k miles. For a while now, it's been cranking slow in the mornings. Last week, I got stranded when I came out of a shop and the darn think wouldn't crank at all. Lights came on, radio worked, etc., but when I turned the key, nothing happened under the hood. I didn't think it was the battery, but I figured replacing that couldn't hurt and the parts place was right across the street. The new battery didn't help.

Skip the cab ride home and the late supper.

The next day I went back to where my car was stuck and the damn thing started right up. At first I was thinking the starter was pooping out on me, but a bit more sleuthing led me to believe I might just need new battery cables. I haven't gotten around the replacing those yet, but the car has started fine MOST of the time for the past week. Every so often it will do nothing when I turn the key, but I just wait a few minute and keep trying, and eventually it starts up.

Another piece of the puzzle: I realized today that when I turn the key and nothing happens, I couldn't hear my fuel injectors prime (or that's what I think I'm not hearing). If I sit in the car and turn the key to the "ON" position without cranking it, and I hear that faint hum, then the car cranks. When I don't hear the hum, nothing happens.

So after all that, here's my question:

Does it sound like something is wrong with the fuel injectors? If so, what can I do short of replacing them that might help? What causes them to prime or not? Could it still be something as simple as battery cables? Or am I completely off the mark in every way?

Any input you all have to offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
Ethan

It won't be your fuel injectors as you state nothing happens when you turn the key...

even with faulty fuel injectors it will somewhat run ok....with a misfire. almost makes me think something with the ignition in the car. if your starter has never been changed before either, i'd replace it.

If the engine is turning slowly, it suggests a problem with either the battery, starter, or the connections between them. You've eliminated the battery as the problem (unless they gave you an uncharged battery). Trace the wires from the battery to the starter and clean off all the terminals in case corrosion is causing poor contact (this is most likely the problem). If the problem persists, the starter is probably toast (dying starters can work sporadically).

The hum you hear is coming from under the back seat. It's the fuel pump priming the fuel injection system. It will run until the right pressure is achieved, then turn off... it will not turn on if there is already enough fuel pressure. The injectors are probably fine in your car.

So check the cables and connections. Then consider the starter.

Last edited:
Back