1st cat replacement

i all ready have a magna flow cat back system on my car. Ok looking at that pipe its strait so why can't i just put in a strait pipe.

ok if i make the pipes to remove my cat wont i get a CEL do to the O2 reading the same just like when the cat dies.

yes it will that why you need a cheater?? thingy basically it is something that tricks you ecu into thinking everything is ok

GhostMercury said:
yes it will that why you need a cheater?? thingy basically it is something that tricks you ecu into thinking everything is ok

Depends on the header you have, and you can always do the non-fowler trick.

Why not just get a header? Yes the non-fouler does work. And the gains will probably be minimal because you will still be bunching up the exhaust too close to the block.

Last edited:
the reason im not getting a header is i dont have the funds for one. and i figured if i can get rid for the cats it would at least help me out a bit. The mid pipe is easy to make with out the cat its was just the down pipe i couldnt figure out but i forgot about the O2 cheaters.

Well I mean if you can make this work I say go ahead and try it out, and just put your 2nd O2 behind the 2nd cat or use the non-fouler trick, either one works.

so basically, u need a j-pipe with a bung for an O2 sensor (if u use the non-fouler cheat) that will bolt up to ur exhaust manifold and midpipe? that shouldnt be too hard. its gonna be loud with no cats tho, might pop a bit too

hay thanks guys I'm going to be looking into making the mid pipe first hopefully tomorrow. The reason for my cheap madness is every year my bro and i go to the drag track and race this will be the first year with the pro5; last time we race he was running about 16.3ish in a 2001 chevy 1500. I know our cars are not fast by any means but i have to try; we run side by side to about 80mph and then he starts to pull on me and i know he goes through the traps at about 84 mph. and this was about the only thing i could think of with out shelling out alot of money.if you could think of anything i can do to free up a bit of hp it would really help.

Car set up.
CAI, magna flow cat back, Rb rear sway bar and tokico hp struts with polyurethane bushings.

Last edited:
I had a stock P5 with a cut off exhaust after the J-pipe and a CAI with 2 "tornadoes" in it and he kicked my ass, maybe you should just leave it at th J-pipe for the track lol.

I am just so close to beating him it bothers me. As you can tell i am really competitive and hes the same way. Every car i have owned has been fast until this one and i know my chevelle will kill him so i don't want to wreck my clean sweep.

Back