03 p5 project car

jaysurp031

:
Mazda protg5
So I picked up a used p5 5speed NA, planning on building it, nothing to serious, looking for decent power, may go turbo idk yet, I love the car, handles awesome, decent pull, the first owner put some dents and scratches in it but with some love she'll be right back in the game, right now I'm working on the rust and dents, have an Injen intake, cat back coming, cams, and some new side skirts. Dropped the car 2", until I get the parts, this is how she looks now...
14c649de5784bb0f254f1e3dc4dffe5e.jpg
3232b16342f91489ae08d08c14477400.jpg
60dae3fa667c9c007a9f1d5c26699eb5.jpg

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Welcome! Looks like you have some work ahead of you, but nothing some paint and a couple parts won't fix. How did you drop it? Springs? as for power mods, turbo is really the "easiest way". You won't gain much with smaller bolt-on stuff, but they'll still help it be a little more zippy. Keen to see more

Welcome! Looks like you have some work ahead of you, but nothing some paint and a couple parts won't fix. How did you drop it? Springs? as for power mods, turbo is really the "easiest way". You won't gain much with smaller bolt-on stuff, but they'll still help it be a little more zippy. Keen to see more
Yeah, I picked it up dirt cheap, $1400 with 141k miles, few dents, a little rust on the undercarriage but nothing a wire brush and an under coat can't take care of, I hacked it to drop it tbh, the old springs were shot and I got a good deal on 4 oem Springs and cut them, took out 1 coil, dropped it right where I wanted it, a lot of ppl are against cutting springs, but I did it right, with a new pair of springs, I do want to turbo it, looking at a msp bolt-on kit, have Injen intake and exhaust coming, ill be adding pics as I go, going to primer it this weekend now that I got the body work done then I'm going with a plasti-dip matte black, white on the rims...
Edit :
This is what I got from cutting one coil
1f0881f1cb7c1c5852d89f20cfe1681c.jpg
47e5a56ba21e35bebe206755ef96fc48.jpg
7a7c315ac85ae9bfc7247d9f04782e84.jpg

Last edited:
cutting springs certainly is ghetto but meh.. ive done it and one coil is about the most you will ever want to try to cut. more and you will run into issues with the spring seating properly under full droop, ie, having hte car up on stands to change brakes or tires ect. could also unseat under hard corner ect ect.

but if your gonna build this car right, you will need to get new dampers and springs to match anyway.

$1400 us is quite expensive for what you have there. but if it runs well and doesnt need a lot of maint, it will work out for you. consider welding on new rear fenders. will last a lot longer than that bondo. paint isnt cheap even doing it yourself so id just get the best substrate on there possible.

welcome to the club.

and dont expect big power. a fully built msp still only makes around 350hp on average and costs a lot of time/money and sourcing out parts ect. you might be able to find a msp partout to get a turbo setup from which would be your best bang/buck upgrade by far.

cutting springs certainly is ghetto but meh.. ive done it and one coil is about the most you will ever want to try to cut. more and you will run into issues with the spring seating properly under full droop, ie, having hte car up on stands to change brakes or tires ect. could also unseat under hard corner ect ect.

but if your gonna build this car right, you will need to get new dampers and springs to match anyway.

$1400 us is quite expensive for what you have there. but if it runs well and doesnt need a lot of maint, it will work out for you. consider welding on new rear fenders. will last a lot longer than that bondo. paint isnt cheap even doing it yourself so id just get the best substrate on there possible.

welcome to the club.

and dont expect big power. a fully built msp still only makes around 350hp on average and costs a lot of time/money and sourcing out parts ect. you might be able to find a msp partout to get a turbo setup from which would be your best bang/buck upgrade by far.
Yeah cutting the springs is a little ghetto, and I'll most likely grab some coil overs, I got these springs cheap cheap answer wanted to see what it would look like dropped a little, as far as power goes I'm not looking good for anything crazy, just something to put u in the seat a bit, my last build was a CRX that made 260whp turbo'd, again nothing to scream about but it was super light, the car is solid aside from the body work, I will look into new rear fenders, there's a parts car at a junkyard I use that's in pretty good shape aside from the front end so I can get it cheap, other than that, the motor is strong, 154k on it now, no problems, doing the VTCS delete this weekend if weather permits, I bought it bcuz I like the way it looks, it has potential lol, anyway, thanks for the input, I'll be sharing pics as I go and hope u like it...

welcome to the club.

Just an update on what's happened in the past few months, money's been tight so it hasn't gone as far as I'd like but we're getting there, things do the since last uodate:

Ebay intake - let's be honest it's really just piping and a filter, so I didn't see the need to spend $300 on a name brand

Megan lowering Springs - 2" drop front and rear
Megan lateral control arms and rearward arms
Obx headers
2.5" piping all the way back
Flat black paint for the murdered out look

5489833e2e8e84c1b418c16b1c3a8e2d.jpg
2d0ec40c0ec846aa7eb6a8ea72c8c3d7.jpg
9d6b785cebb3c9fe54bb6c74affe7972.jpg

Back