My boosted 1.6L

relaxed

UPDATE AGAIN!!

Here is the dyno result, boost increased from 9 psi to 17+ psi with the built engine.

dyno%20chart.JPG

The torque translated to ft-lb is about 280 ft-lb, wheel power is 225 HP. The top graph is at 17psi, the lower graph is at 14.7 psi (as my HKS EVC has 2 boost settings)

My tuner asked me if I wanted to increase the boost past 17 psi, I said no, on the road the torque steer is enough to get me into trouble if I'm not careful. At third gear at full boost, my car veered halfway into the next lane with me fighting the steering.

Comments welcome!

UPDATE!!

I finally installed my forged pistons and billet rods. Using JE pistons meant for the B6 engine:

engine%20block%20pic1.JPG

The top of the pistons had to skimmed off to fit the ZM engine block

Pistons1.JPG

Here are my billet con rods (for the B6 and BP engine, same rod). These are more or less the same as Eagle H-beam rods or the Belfab racing.

con rods pic1.JPG

My head (which is port and polished) will be fitted and the engine will go in within these couple of days. Will be changing my turbo (from a TD04L) to a IHI VF28 ball bearing unit.

Will need about 3000 miles or so to break in the new engine, then I'll keep everyone posted on the numbers when I retune the car.

=========================================================================

Finally finished..........

turbo%20install%20pic1.JPG

turbo%20install%20pic2.JPG

turbo%20install%20pic3.JPG

Setup:

Hiboost IHI turbo manifold + downpipe
Forrester TF035 turbocharger
Precision 350HP intercooler
GFB bypass/plump-back valve
GFB manual boost controller
NRG fuel pressure regulator
2 SPAL fans mounted infront of the radiator (noisy!!)
310cc Toyota Supra injectors
Emanage with Greddy pressure (MAP) sensor + injector harness
hoses, lines, clamps etc etc

Currently tuned for max boost of 8 psi
Dyno results: SAE corrected 156 WHP, max torque 26 kg/m at 3500 rpm (about 188 ft/lb)

Car runs well, a little lag but bearable. Only issues left to resolve:
- rather rough idling. MAF sensor too close to the open pod filter
- Clutch. Still stock, looking to get ACT disc.
- exhaust. Currently running 2 inch but stock muffler. Changing to Magnaflow

Comments welcomed!

Last edited:
cfpkiller said:
WOW MAN!!! very good job and it looks clean...how does it run?

Runs fairly well, boost starts at around 2500 rpm or so, pulls like a mule. Just that the idling is kinda rough. With my MAF so close to the filter, I may ditch that feabay pod filter and get something better. Blitz or Apexi or something

In fact, my emanage tuner is a little concerned that the torque (at 188 ft-lb) may be a bit too high coming out of a 1.6L engine, saying that I might need to lower my compression, the issue being the wear and tear in my pistons

relaxed said:
Runs fairly well, boost starts at around 2500 rpm or so, pulls like a mule. Just that the idling is kinda rough. With my MAF so close to the filter, I may ditch that feabay pod filter and get something better. Blitz or Apexi or something

In fact, my emanage tuner is a little concerned that the torque (at 188 ft-lb) may be a bit too high coming out of a 1.6L engine, saying that I might need to lower my compression, the issue being the wear and tear in my pistons

Very nice, what's the rest of the car look like?

Looks good. How much boost are you running? You should be able to make a lot more power than that in the future :)

Thanks for your comments, guys. Really appreciate it

The rest of the car looks pretty stock, 15" rims, no spoiler or body kit. I like to think that I'm spending money where it matters :)

In the future? Unless I can get my hands on decent forge pistons and con rods and build up the motor, I'll stick to 8 psi. I was considering a Walboro fuel pump, but my tuner has said that at 8 psi, there's plently of fuel. There's no detonation as well, so I didn't add the ignition harness to retard ignition

I've asked Wiseco, Pauter and Mahle but it seems that there doesn't seem to be any performance pistons/rods for the 1.6 ZM block. Anyone has any idea?

How much power did you make stock? I think at 8 psi you should make more than what you're making. But you are making a buttload of torque...
I think with a good 2.5" exhaust you'll free up some extra power, and make closer to 180 whp

nice ... i remember having a boosted 1.6L

nice numbers. mine did pretty much the same. 163whp at 9psi

welcome to the club :)

bigger exhaust, act clutch and moving the maf are good ideas. if you come across forged parts let me know

very nice!

I don't think you should change the pistons/rods, they are way more strong than the Fisher-Price FS rods. In fact Juan (owner of Hi-Boost) made something like 270whp on race gas with is kit! He say the motor can take way more than 20psi!

The rods in the 1.6 are stronger 'cause they're shorter, but I think the quality of the pistons won't be so different from the FS motor.

I'm just thinking about getting stronger pistons/rods for the sake of reliability, I mean, I use the car everyday for work and stuff and I can't afford for it to be in the shop for weeks if the engine blows.

relaxed said:
The rods in the 1.6 are stronger 'cause they're shorter, but I think the quality of the pistons won't be so different from the FS motor.

I'm just thinking about getting stronger pistons/rods for the sake of reliability, I mean, I use the car everyday for work and stuff and I can't afford for it to be in the shop for weeks if the engine blows.

I would just go with lower compression pistons. Remember that we use stock pistons modified to make them lower compression in the Fastest proteges around.

HiBoost TS said:
I would just go with lower compression pistons. Remember that we use stock pistons modified to make them lower compression in the Fastest proteges around.

Hi Juan, good to hear from you. My mechanic (who did the pipes and installation) is quite impressed with the manifold, nice and compact.

I've been meaning to ask you about the availability of the IHI VF24 turbocharger. Do you still sell it? Price?

relaxed said:
Hi Juan, good to hear from you. My mechanic (who did the pipes and installation) is quite impressed with the manifold, nice and compact.

I've been meaning to ask you about the availability of the IHI VF24 turbocharger. Do you still sell it? Price?

We have some in stock, however the price went up a lot $1,450.00. IHI just increased their prices by almost 50%(shocked)

Shane & Gaboost: Thanks for your comments and encouragment. Just had a friend (who also owns a 1.6 protege LX) come down to try the car yesterday. I think he'll be contacting Juan shortly :)

The only thing that bothers me right now is when I rev up and pop the clutch at first gear, I get a LOT of wheel spin and no traction. Think I need to change my 15" rims to 16 inchers.

naw, u jsut need wider front tires with racing slicks.... welcome to the world of 1.6l turbo... our motors become trq monsters..... get used the the wheel spin.... lol

Back