What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Ordered these:
cache.php

Just discovered one of my tail lights are out. Not the whole thing, but just the big circular part.

Hard to fix?

Just discovered one of my tail lights are out. Not the whole thing, but just the big circular part.

Hard to fix?

I take it you’re not mechanically minded. Follow the instructions in your handbook for changing a bulb. I think many of the big spares shops will do it for you.

I think on the CX-5 it's just 1 or 2 little bolts under the plastic bolt cover and the housing pops out towards the rear. can change any of the bulbs from there. On the '17 model that's what it's like anyway.

I take it you’re not mechanically minded. Follow the instructions in your handbook for changing a bulb. I think many of the big spares shops will do it for you.
Not normally, but I have done some things like replacing the side mirror assembly. I'll take a crack at it.

Not normally, but I have done some things like replacing the side mirror assembly. I'll take a crack at it.
Find out if its brake/tail light or turn signal out first. Then get the right bulb based on specs at the end of your owners manual. Unfortunately Mazda made a mistake on rear turn signal bulb specified as a dual-filament Natural Amber 7443NA bulb but in fact it should be single-filament 7440NA bulb.

Our owners manual has detailed instruction in Owner Maintenance section on how to replace those light bulbs. Make sure to read it first.

That is one thing I found lacking in the owner manual for the '17. There is like no bulb size information that's actually useful for any of the interior or smaller bulbs on the vehicle. The only ones they list are the tail and turn signals. Don't even have a headlight replacement fitment.

That is one thing I found lacking in the owner manual for the '17. There is like no bulb size information that's actually useful for any of the interior or smaller bulbs on the vehicle. The only ones they list are the tail and turn signals. Don't even have a headlight replacement fitment.
Because for 2017 CX-5 most exterior lights including headlights are proprietary LEDs and theyre not replaceable or serviceable. You have to replace the entire assembly if any of the LEDs is failed. :(

Find out if it’s brake/tail light or turn signal out first. Then get the right bulb based on specs at the end of your owner’s manual. Unfortunately Mazda made a mistake on rear turn signal bulb specified as a dual-filament “Natural Amber” 7443NA bulb but in fact it should be single-filament 7440NA bulb.

Our owner’s manual has detailed instruction in Owner Maintenance section on how to replace those light bulbs. Make sure to read it first.

Good to know. Thank you.

Turn signal is working. It's just the big circle red brake light part.

Because for 2017 CX-5 most exterior lights including headlights are proprietary LED’s and they’re not replaceable or serviceable. You have to replace the entire assembly if any of the LEDs is failed. :(

Seriously? That seems ridiculous. They could have easily just put the LEDs on a base like any normal light. Wow.

At least I'm in a predominantly colder part of the world, LEDs like the cold. Hopefully I never have an issue with them. If I do outside of warranty, I'll certainly be getting a pair of aftermarket lights, considering the guaranteed markup on the OEM lights; especially considering the fact there are no bulbs.

Last edited:
Has anyone replaced the licence plate bulb on the 2018 model with an led replacement - is it possible, will it work and if so could you advise which bulbs (available in UK) would wrk pls?

That means you need a dual-filament 7443 clear bulb for replacement.

Thank you yrwei. Going to replace it today. (thumb)

Edit: Read the manual for the process to replace. Funny how the manual doesn't even list the bulb types to use. (scratch)

Last edited:
So that was super easy. $7.99, and took like 5 minutes to replace both (went ahead and just replaced both since it was a 2 pack of bulbs).

So that was super easy. $7.99, and took like 5 minutes to replace both (went ahead and just replaced both since it was a 2 pack of bulbs).

Glad you had no troubles! It's usually straight forward for rears, headlights can be a pain depending on the vehicle.

Back