US Diesel's big splash introduction

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if we've spent more hours posting in this thread than Mazda has spent on getting the diesel here.

But again how much of the water has gone under the bridge $ wise to make this happen as it stands..BRING IT ALREADY!!

Well, in the UK, the diesel is now up to 184 HP with over 300 lb/ft of torque. So I wonder if the new engine is causing a delay. But I don't expect to ever see this car here...

Well, in the UK, the diesel is now up to 184 HP with over 300 lb/ft of torque. So I wonder if the new engine is causing a delay. But I don't expect to ever see this car here...

I'm in a strange state of mind where I don't know if I'm pulling for it or against it. The diesel was my dream car on paper, but now I've bought the 2.5g and I don't know how I'm going to react if I really see a diesel in the flesh.

If not for our damned sales tax, I'd probably sell the gas (private party) and get a diesel. I know with a trade-in, you're only taxed on the net, but that savings is probably more than swallowed by the difference between what a dealer would pay vs. a private party.

I'm in a strange state of mind where I don't know if I'm pulling for it or against it. The diesel was my dream car on paper, but now I've bought the 2.5g and I don't know how I'm going to react if I really see a diesel in the flesh. You'll probably be too busy enjoying your vacation in a foreign country to care.

If not for our damned sales tax, I'd probably sell the gas (private party) and get a diesel. I know with a trade-in, you're only taxed on the net, but that savings is probably more than swallowed by the difference between what a dealer would pay vs. a private party.

It depends, I got KBB Private Party "Good" condition from the dealer for my Jeep Grand Cherokee (which had nearly 100K miles on it, and was in "average" condition with "a few issues", at best, if we are being honest), and bought my CX5 for the same.

Don't think I ever said a 10% bump (happy to be corrected if I did)

Said the diesel sales won't add much to overall sales so cost of getting it to pass regs not that worth it.

Mazda said 10%.

Well..1.5M/annum give or take globally so we're talking +15k(based on ~150k cx-5 NA sales)- that's assuming diesels won't replace cx5 gas sales which in my case it would- so optimistically like 1%, realistically .5 to .75% bump in sales. If they don't plan to roll it into other vehicles here I have to say it likely doesn't make financial sense but I think they should and I still want it..pretty bad I think.

I think there'd certainly be some of that but people looking for diesels are not necessarily looking at CX5's otherwise. There's a lot of ex-VW etc diesel motor fans out there that would come to showrooms just for the motor. I don't know how you went from 10% to 0.5%-1%... I think I'd need to see your work on that (rlaugh)

Ok Ill spell it out..a 10% take rate in North America on a 150k/year model nets (let's say) a 15k bump in cx5 sales. Based on 1.5 million units per year GLOBALLY you net 1% on a global basis..not insignificant but not a game changer either and again probably optimistic due to the diesel cannabalizing some gas sales.

Ok Ill spell it out..a 10% take rate in North America on a 150k/year model nets (let's say) a 15k bump in cx5 sales. Based on 1.5 million units per year GLOBALLY you net 1% on a global basis..not insignificant but not a game changer either and again probably optimistic due to the diesel cannabalizing some gas sales.

Mazda North America might disagree with you on how significant it is. Another 10-15k vehicles moved for them and their tiny market share is a win. That's roughly the amount of CX3's of any type that they sell.

I've got to think $450,000,000 in revenue is significant to a "small" company.

Back