2nd day driving; rock dinged my window!!

reprogram windshield detectors?
i don't think that's a "thing" there is nothing to reprogram.
Just have to replace the windshield, make sure it's the right windshield with the proper radar cutouts by the mirror housing, and that's it.

Sorry, I meant to write reprograming detectors... could it mean the auto wipers and maybe driver assistance (camera? ) Is that the $216 fee?

Anyway, i wasn't sure if Mazda always charge for that or if my dealership is adding on that fee. Has anyone else here gotten their dealership to replace their entire windshields before?

Last edited:
I believe that is for the driver assistance stuff and is in fact a thing. Will it still work if you skip it? I dunno. Maybe

Seeing how expensive a replaced windshield is, is there a good windshield protector that we can install ourselves? With all the trucks kicking up rocks on the highway most of us will probably get a broken windshield. Yesterday there was a truck towing a cement mixer on the highway and rocks were flying.

I did a safelite online quote, without the heads up display it shows $630 all in. It didn't show a break down of parts and labor.

I got a small deep star in mine over a year ago and gave the DIY kit a try last summer. Followed the directions the best I could. You have to look really close to see any hint of it so no spreading.

The reason I gave it a try was it has an expensive tint that I did not want to lose or pay again. My insurance would have paid for the windshield but not the tint. The kit was simple and has held up well.

Weird, I just spoke to two other Cx5 owners who got their windshield replaced and neither were charged the $216 fee. Should I just get it done at another place? the other dealership is 1 hr away in another city...

$560 glass
$145 install
$216 reprogram windshield detectors

It would be worth it to me to spend 2 hr driving to save $216!

If it makes you feel better, I curb checked my wifes CX-5 the third day we had it. Those narrow German village roads are even narrower when a f***ing semi-truck with 40 trailer is attached.

I got a bulls eye in my X3 windshield while accelerating out of Munich 4 days before shipping it back to the US....hopefully chip repair will take care of it..

Oh man, that sucks. Make sure to be present when they fix it.

Can anyone else call their local dealership and get a quote for a total windshield replacement? Just want to see if this $216 reprograming charge is standard or not.

Back