What new Mazda is coming?

Saw my first 19 CX3 GT today in white. Gotta admit it's pretty damn good looking. Nice rim's on the GT. That thing with the 2.5 would probably sell better.

yeah i really like the proportions of the cx-3 very compact and sleek.
have 2 in the household now ;)
they did increase the HP a bit for 2019 but still not enough.
2.5 would be awesome in it.

Saw my first 19 CX3 GT today in white. Gotta admit it's pretty damn good looking. Nice rim's on the GT. That thing with the 2.5 would probably sell better.

I've driven it- for me power while not great was not among my top 3 issues which were space(biggest issue by far) both boot and rear seat, noise and fuel capacity..oh and price relative to the 5. Down the list are power and looks which to me in most colors/angles while not necessarily offensive are straight up chickmobile. To me it makes little to no sense vs 5er unless you really want or need something small.

Last edited:
yup,
it's for a niche market that wants a small cuv to drive around town,
cx-5 is definitely more utilitarian.
I like both cars but will have to upgrade to the bigger cx-5 now, unless a cx-7 debuts at geneva.
not quite ready for a cx-9 sized car yet.

I've driven it- for me power while not great was not among my top 3 issues which were space(biggest issue by far) both boot and rear seat, noise and fuel capacity..oh and price relative to the 5. Down the list are power and looks which to me in most colors/angles while not necessarily offensive are straight up chickmobile. To me it makes little to no sense vs 5er unless you really want or need something small.

I've driven it- for me power while not great was not among my top 3 issues which were space(biggest issue by far) both boot and rear seat,

The 19? I sat in a 16 and the space in the cockpit was a bit crampy for me. Supposedly improved in 19?

the '19 center console has been reworked,
but in terms of space and seating, it's pretty much the same.

The 19? I sat in a 16 and the space in the cockpit was a bit crampy for me. Supposedly improved in 19?

In my mind, it is the best looking Mazda, Miata included!

The issue with it is the price. It tends to be $1000 more than the equivalent Mazda 3 and often more because most dealers get the AWD CX-3 in. Add to the fact that is has a smaller engine and smaller size, it becomes a no brainer.

One thing that it does have going for it is the drive. I found it to be really fun to drive. Very small feeling and just great to throw around.

why do you have to poop on my parade..haha
some part of me hopes it's a cx-7 a slightly larger sportier looking version of the cx-5,
i'm also aware mazda is planning on building a new suv in the states, but was really really thinking, maybe they will release/ debut this new mazda at geneva, have it initially built in Japan, and then have it produced in the US later on.

Geneva is an autoshow for the Euro market. They're not going to debut a car for the American market there. Especially when said car is 2+ years away. If I were gamblin' I'd say its debut will be in Chicago next year or 2021 likely, when the tooling is closer to completion.

Last edited:
although i would tend to agree,

it's a world premiere, also it's noted on the MazdaUSA website
https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/mazda-to-unveil-new-suv-at-geneva-motor-show/

also read the first line on the C&D article:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26142809/mazda-cx-4-crossover-confirmed-2020/

it's coming to the US., good thing you weren't gambling...

Geneva is an autoshow for the Euro market. They're not going to debut a car for the American market there. Especially when said car is 2+ years away. If I were gamblin' I'd say its debut will be in Chicago next year or 2021 likely, when the tooling is closer to completion.

CX-7 or CX-6 seems most likely to me. Not much longer now.

i can only agree with you, because honestly,
It can't be a newly redesigned CX-4, this model was only released in 2016. no way a full redesign will happen.
Only a few more weeks, let's see who's right.

i can only agree with you, because honestly,
It can't be a newly redesigned CX-4, this model was only released in 2016. no way a full redesign will happen.
Only a few more weeks, let's see who's right.

But how do we know its a "fully redesigned" product? My $ is on heavily refreshed CX-4 that will probably be called CX-6, share the CX-5s engine options and similar if not slightly higher pricing- which I might be willing to absorb..but I want some paddles, sharper handling and FE- the last 2 being fully expected as a result of lighter, sleeker silhouette..bonus: I just learned how to spell silhoutette:)

although i would tend to agree,

it's a world premiere, also it's noted on the MazdaUSA website
https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/mazda-to-unveil-new-suv-at-geneva-motor-show/

also read the first line on the C&D article:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26142809/mazda-cx-4-crossover-confirmed-2020/

it's coming to the US., good thing you weren't gambling...

I'm referring to the American built SUV, not this cx-4. They also will not spend the millions on tooling to produce it in Japan for a few months... it'll be sometime here in 2021 or 22.

No it was one of my work friends 16 or 17 who just 'upgraded' (well size wise at least and he hated tiny fuel tank) to a loaded Crosstrek which is ok(slow, CVT are my issues- manual while great to still see has infuriating levels of rev hang)but again at that price (29 and change I think he said but he leased) I'm going CX-5 with zero hesitation..he said its too big for what he needs- to which I said something but will opt out of sharing publicly- see getting better;)

And yeah- decent fun to drive the little squirt despite its modest(that's being nice) power and I fit in it ok enough but its just way too compromised in the rear/cargo quarters to get a blip on my radar and I definitely think its their worst looking most oddly proportioned vehicle in the current lineup- but they have a pretty good looking lineup and its not terrible- def not sexy but not terrible. 9er is tops for me because it stands out as best in class looks by far- and she can dance too.

Last edited:
i agree...but a fully refreshed cx-4 is still a cx-4,
it HAS to be a new model lineup, that's what Mazda announced, let's see what's to come.
I can't wait. If it's a bigger CX-5 i'm in! if it's smaller or lower than a CX-5 i'm out and will be picking up the signature.

But how do we know its a "fully redesigned" product? My $ is on heavily refreshed CX-4 that will probably be called CX-6, share the CX-5s engine options and similar if not slightly higher pricing- which I might be willing to absorb..but I want some paddles, sharper handling and FE- the last 2 being fully expected as a result of lighter, sleeker silhouette..bonus: I just learned how to spell silhoutette:)

Doubt also, but one can hope. My boss used to have an RX-8 and is sorely disappointed Mazda lacks anything in their lineup to replace it. She's looking at a Kia Stinger for crying out loud. A Kia! As well as other sportier cars.

So almost a month late but couldn't let this one slide(missed it)..
I drove the RX-8 15 or so years ago when my MR2 turbo was my DD(edit..I had C230c by then so MR2 was my beater/snow car by then I guess- yeah Nokian snow tires on that thing it was a beast 10x better than my 1 wheel peel Merc was but I digress) and thought meh needs torque like a lot more torque! I drove the Stinger GT last fall and thought omg this thing is fkn awesome but its bigger than I want and needs a manual but...- a fkn Kia for crying out loud!! Then I drove the Veloster N on a whim and thought hfs this thing is mind-blowingly awesome to drive despite being fwd..S. Korea is killing it lately in case you weren't paying enough attention- sure the interiors are nowhere near the uppity Germans in terms of quality but they aren't horrible either and to me driving is believing.

Next up- trying to sell the wife on the Telluride..she's all like but its Kia for crying out loud! Yep- and so is the Stinger- give it try seems to have a lot going for it, not buying 1st model year anyway..Ascent is high on her list also..CX-9- liked it but small-ish and no close dealers so probably not a multi-Mazda fam..

Last edited:
The more I look at it.
It actually might be the cx4 US and global market versions. Offering the same engine as the new mazda3 and platform. The question is, would this be bigger or smaller than the cx-5? Anyone has specs of the current cx-4 vs cx-5?

0784566F-E69E-45F4-82BD-6B98DA8AA7F2.jpeg
[/URL]

Definitely smaller.

Do you have specs of the current cx-4 and how it compares to the current cx-5?

Cx4:
Length 182.4
Width 72.4
Wheelbase 106.2

Cx5:
Length 179.1
Width 72.5
Wheelbase 106.2

The specs saids its not any smaller.
Except height.

Last edited:
Do you have specs of the current cx-4 and how it compares to the current cx-5?
I may have been partly wrong. From what I read CX-4 is slightly longer than CX-5, but has the same wheelbase and width. The difference is that the 4 is definitely shorter in height vs the 5.

CX-4 definitely looks more wagon like to me.

Back