Prices paid for 2019 CX5

2019 Gray GTR.....

MSRP - $36,565
My price - $35,095

Then had to do real battle over my trade. Finally, after I got up and headed for the door, they gave me what I wanted.
This was the second dealer I visited, as the first one was totally unwilling to deal and let me walk.

The GTR and Signature models appear to be extremely popular right now. Inventory was limited and dealerships are tough on price.

MSRP: $29,580
Discount: -$2,561
Vehicle Price: $27,019
Rebate: -$1,000
After Rebate: $26,019
Doc Fee: $85
License, Title, Taxes: $2,748
Total: 28,852...

12.1% discount. Nice job!

It's actually an 8.7% negotiated discount. The other $1k is a rebate and is taxed, so it really shouldn't be factored into the equation.

Either way, it's a better discount than I got. :)

It's actually an 8.7% negotiated discount. The other $1k is a rebate and is taxed, so it really shouldn't be factored into the equation.

Oh, good point. Didn't realize that.

Doc Fee needs to be added back into "Vehicle Price" to determine the dealer discount since it's essentially dealer profit. The only fees that don't enter into the equation are government mandated fees.

Still a good deal!!

GT AWD MSRP $32,440
$30,200 + license/fees (Lease)

Purchase would have been $29,550 due to $650 more in incentive from Mazda on a purchase.

Washington State

I just turned 50 and this is my 36th car. They gave me $1,000 more than I would have taken for my 2010 Acura MDX on the trade. I calculate trade target based on Black Book Trade prices + tax savings + conveninence factor (my time is money.) I've sold some of my own cars in the past private party so I have a feel for values and time involved. It's amazing how few cars are on the private party market these days in the > $10K range. Guess most people think it's a big ordeal and don't want to deal with it.

I usually have to fight hard to get close to my trade target. First time I didn't have to haggle on a trade in 30+ years. Maybe because the Acura only had 77K miles (I work from home - why a 10K annual max Lease suits me very well as I put about 400-600 miles on the car a month) They made the trade offer sight unseen on the car. Couldn't believe it. Did everything via email except sign the papers. Only dealer in the area that "got it" as far as realizing I was a seasoned buyer and didn't want to waste time screwing around going back and forth or sitting in the showroom playing games.

Please take the balloon of the car and no I don't want my picture taken with it. I'm buying a depreciating asset used to transport me from point A to B, not having a baby. I guess I would have felt differently 25 years ago when I made my first new vehicle purchase. (roll eyes) Oh, and don't put me on your cheezy email broadcast list sending me pre-canned emails as if you were personally contacting me. I'm an Internet Marketing Consulting for a living... seen plenty of that stuff to last me a lifetime. LOL.

So while the new car price isn't going to win any low price contests (it was a decent price), the overall deal was quite satisfactory. Contacted 4 other dealers. One said they won't get into price wars.. umm it's called a capalist society where you compete for people's business. Obviously they want to get you into the showroom to see what they can get out of you because it's more of a inconvenience to you to drive out there and you'll be less likely to walk away with no new car. Two others didn't reply when I explained myself clearly in my initial email (guess they wanted more of a sucker buyer), and fourth wasn't competetive on the price. I've used Car Buying services in the past ocassionally when I was busy. They are great. I'm not talking "Fake Car Buying Services" like TruCar - those are just lead generation services. A real Car Buying Service for a small fee ($250-$500), they'll contact the Fleet Sales Manager at the largest dealers in the area and get the bottom line price right off the bat. Dealer I contacted understood that and gave me their bottom line right away. Hard to find dealers that will recognize who they are dealing with and do that for you. I'm amazed that most still play the same old games. I guess they get an unknowledgeable buyer often enough to make it worth it for them. Just pisses people like me off as I understand how the cars are priced and you can find out all the hidden manufacturer-dealer incentives pretty easily (along with the invoice price.)

Most dealers can sell the new cars at very small margins as they make their money in the service department. Except with in demand brand new models like the Reserve and Signature. Everyone wants the lastest and greatest. Economy is good, so no big discounts on those. Here's a neat experiment, ask for an itemized list of what they do on an oil change and then ask for the same list for say, the 15K service which costs 5 times more. Compare it line by line. There's barely any difference in what they do compared to the oil change! You're paying them like $100 in parts and labor to change your in cabin air filter, or later on in the service schedule you're paying them 5 times for a differential fluid change that you can get at Jiffy Lube. Most people don't know that. Many think not taking their car to the dealer voids the warranty. Dealer's love those myths being perpetuated. That's how they make their money.

Boy, I'm chatty this morn...

Last edited:
GT AWD MSRP $32,440
$30,200 + license/fees (Lease)

Purchase would have been $29,550 due to $650 more in incentive from Mazda on a purchase.

Washington State

I just turned 50 and this is my 36th car some of which I sold myself private party instead of trade in. They gave me $1,000 more than I would have taken for my 2010 Acura MDX on the trade. I calculate trade target based on Black Book Trade prices + tax savings + conveninence factor (my time is money.) I usually have to fight hard to get cloe to my trade target. First time I didn't have to haggle on a trade in 30+ years. Maybe because the Acura only had 77K miles (I work from home - why a 10K annual max Lease suits me very well as I put about 400-600 miles on the car a month) I they made the trade offer sight unseen on the car. Did everything via email except sigh the papers. Couldn't believe it. Only dealer in the area that "got it" as far as realizing I was a seasoned buyer and didn't want to waste time screwing around going back and forth or sitting in the showroom playing games.

So while the new car price isn't going to win any low price contests (it was a decent price), the overall deal was quite satisfactory.

What dealership? I'm in Washington state

2019 Gray GTR.....

MSRP - $36,565
My price - $35,095

Then had to do real battle over my trade. Finally, after I got up and headed for the door, they gave me what I wanted.
This was the second dealer I visited, as the first one was totally unwilling to deal and let me walk.

The GTR and Signature models appear to be extremely popular right now. Inventory was limited and dealerships are tough on price.

Is that $35,095 the price of just the car (including the destination)?

Or is that the out the door price?

2019 Touring FWD $26,615 + $995 destination + $598.99 Dealer Acc. = $28,208.99 MSRP

Discount -$2,099.54
Price $26,109.45
Rebate -$1,000
Total $25,109.45

Taxes were paid on Price after rebate ($25,109.45)

Doc Fee $150
License $150
Title $33

Hi all! This is my first post here. Excited about my first Mazda.

Just bought a 2019 CX-5 Signature for $35,447, including destination charge. (MSRP: $37,885)

2019 Signature Eternal Blue with trade. MSRP $38,335(including destination). Paid $35,900 Less $1,750 Rebates $34,150 plus Tax and Title before trade. Trade was priced within $100 of 2 other offers. Was going to finance through Mazda at 2.9% but they offered me a finance deal that was $2.23 more per month. Rebate was $500 cash because I did not finance through Mazda, $750 Loyalty, and $500 Mazda trade. Wife loves her new CX 5.

I sent an email to Internet Manager for best OTD price. I never spoke to anyone until I entered the dealership and did not mention trade until we arrived.

Last edited:
Over the weekend, I bought a 2019 White FWD Grand Touring with 0.9% Financing. Thank you all for your data.

MSRP = $31,875 (includes destination)
Selling Price = $27,626.22
Doc Fee = $799.99
Sales Tax = $801.79
Tags = $72
OTD Price = $ 29,300

Back