Looking to purchase 2016 CX-5 Touring. How is the Engine & Transmission? Reliable?

Engine is a 10 our of 10 for reliability. Seriously. Don't think I've seen one engine failure here in 2 years.
Tranny is also very reliable but with a caveat. There was a small batch of bad trannys that went out in early 2016. These often failed early and were replaced under warranty. It was not common. I don't think you need to worry about this. We haven't seen this issue here in at least a year.
This is the most popular CX5 board on the internet in the US, at least.

One thing I noticed about the ad you linked, I think this is really a 2016.5. Photo 23 in the ad shows the drivers side seat heater being on (the '16 Touring didn't have seat heaters, they were added for 16.5) and photo 39 shows a build date of 12/16 (as a comparison my '16 was built in 5/15). I think that makes it a better deal. Depending on service records, etc. I think it's a contender.

Solid engine. Overall very reliable transmission with the exception of the batch 7eregrine mentioned and the outliers you get like any other car out there. Transmission is silky smooth.

I would not hesitate to grab one with the right mileage at the right price. Not sure if you are DIYer or not, but overall very easy maintenance.

I have a 2015 with 105K miles on it, now. Functionally the same pretty much. The rear diff died when it got flooded crossing some water on the road, but that's not the car's fault. Otherwise been bulletproof and doing nicely.

The transmission IS quirky though at times. You'll get a jerk every now and then going from R to D, and if you run cruise control for a long time and then floor it t o pass, may get a helluva SLAM! but I had those issues in other automatics, and this one has done it for the last 80K miles off and on, so I write it up as a quirk and don't worry a bout it.

One thing I noticed about the ad you linked, I think this is really a 2016.5. Photo 23 in the ad shows the drivers side seat heater being on (the '16 Touring didn't have seat heaters, they were added for 16.5) and photo 39 shows a build date of 12/16 (as a comparison my '16 was built in 5/15). I think that makes it a better deal. Depending on service records, etc. I think it's a contender.

You got my attention with the transmission issue. Any idea certain build dates to avoid?

If I get the 2016.5, will I avoid the bad tranny's?

Most cars are couple of grand more in Indiana but cheaper in Chicago so that is where I am going to get one from.

Waid

Last edited:
You got my attention with the transmission issue. Any idea certain build dates to avoid?

If I get the 2016.5, will I avoid the bad tranny's?

Most cars are couple of grand more in Indiana but cheaper in Chicago so that is where I am going to get one from.

Waid
Yeah 2016.5s are fine. It was early batch 2016s.

The engine is very reliable and they use it in a lot of their cars not just the cx5. The skyactiv tag is a marketing thing but the actual tech behind how they direct inject fuel into the engine is a master of engineering. You should check out some YouTube videos on it.

I bought a new 2014 Mazda 3 with 6-speed and it was the best car ever owned. I had to get rid of it after 36,000 miles due sciatic nerve pains in my legs. I switched to a 2013 Honda Civic Automatic and was the worst car I ever owned. It was noise and really harsh ride. The 3 felt like more up scale luxury car in terms of ride quality. I am not too crazy about leg room in the back of CX-5. The next best thing to the CX-5 is the Kia Sportage but Kia & Hyundai engines are blowing up left and right!

Waid

I bought a new 2014 Mazda 3 with 6-speed and it was the best car ever owned. I had to get rid of it after 36,000 miles due sciatic nerve pains in my legs. I switched to a 2013 Honda Civic Automatic and was the worst car I ever owned. It was noise and really harsh ride. The 3 felt like more up scale luxury car in terms of ride quality. I am not too crazy about leg room in the back of CX-5. The next best thing to the CX-5 is the Kia Sportage but Kia & Hyundai engines are blowing up left and right!

Waid

Yep, same exact experience with my 2014 Mazda3 manual as well. Great car, bad sciatica.

The CX-5 is good, and the 2016.5 TOURING is the sweet spot for Gen1 for me, as it has the heated cloth seats. The only time heated cloth seats were available for the CX-5, was on the 2016.5.

The leather seats on the GT models are of different shape and are not as comfortable to me on the Gen1.

I have had lots of Mazda's, and I have to say that the SKYACTIV series of engines appear to be the most reliable yet. Not to mention if you want a transmission that feels direct and engaged, instead of slushy and mushy, or a CVT, the SKYACTIV transmission is very rewarding to those whom like manual transmissions, but can not enjoy the action of the 3rd pedal.

We had a 3yr lease on our 2016.5 CX-5 Touring AWD, and now have just finished buying out the lease and financing the car. I replaced the factory tires with better ones, and added paddle shifters. It still makes us smile, and we plan on keeping it for a long time.

Last edited:
I think its a 150K miles car - meaning it should hit 150 with minimal repair. Ofcourse there are brakes etc which are 'consumables' - I don't want to say this is something like an Avalon which is a 350-400k car. Primarily due to Transmission and the fact that Mazda calls it lifetime fluid.
I used to love driving my CX5 and hate my Camry 15. In last few months things have changed - my CX5 transmission feels unrefined but responsive but camry feels refined and sluggish to respond. I have exact same model year / trim and have 28K miles on the clock - it needs an oil change soon though.
If you are ok with a good driver that lasts 150-200K miles without hassle - go for it. KBB value at 150K miles would be 3-5K USD and at that point - the build quality, age, small collision and drivetrain - any of these could kill it.

I think its a 150K miles car - meaning it should hit 150 with minimal repair. Ofcourse there are brakes etc which are 'consumables' - I don't want to say this is something like an Avalon which is a 350-400k car. Primarily due to Transmission and the fact that Mazda calls it lifetime fluid.
I used to love driving my CX5 and hate my Camry 15. In last few months things have changed - my CX5 transmission feels unrefined but responsive but camry feels refined and sluggish to respond. I have exact same model year / trim and have 28K miles on the clock - it needs an oil change soon though.
If you are ok with a good driver that lasts 150-200K miles without hassle - go for it. KBB value at 150K miles would be 3-5K USD and at that point - the build quality, age, small collision and drivetrain - any of these could kill it.
What the hells going on with your tranny at 28k miles? Mine feels like the day I bought the car 6 years and almost 78k miles ago.

What the hells going on with your tranny at 28k miles? Mine feels like the day I bought the car 6 years and almost 78k miles ago.

Only driven short trips infrequently. New tires air filter and end of oil life. I am not digging Altimax GTs. Second thoughts about AEM dry air filter as well. CX5 has been sitting for weeks not driven.

As the topic suggest, I am thinking about purchasing a 2016 CX-5 with about 45,000 miles like this one:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...Code1=MAZDA&modelCode1=CX-5&clickType=listing

Are there any issues I should look for in 2016?

Thanks

Waid

Engines are reliable.

If I were you I'd ask to "rent" the car from the dealer for a day or 2 if possible. I'd take it home and inspect the tranny for leaks and for high pitch sounds. I'd inspect whats called the belt tensioner for leaks. If both passed my inspection and I like the car I'd buy.

Only driven short trips infrequently. New tires air filter and end of oil life. I am not digging Altimax GTs. Second thoughts about AEM dry air filter as well. CX5 has been sitting for weeks not driven.

Altimax RT43's are not my favorite either, but it was at the price point I was happy with. The Michelins cost too damned much.

Altimax RT43's are not my favorite either, but it was at the price point I was happy with. The Michelins cost too damned much.
I would take Continentals or Pirellis that were $130 vs $115 for GT. But yes price wise they are really good.

Engines are reliable.

If I were you I'd ask to "rent" the car from the dealer for a day or 2 if possible. I'd take it home and inspect the tranny for leaks and for high pitch sounds. I'd inspect whats called the belt tensioner for leaks. If both passed my inspection and I like the car I'd buy.

I still have not bought anything yet. I drove the 2017 CX-5 and I was really surprised how much better it is compared to 1st gen. The ride quality is much much better and quieter than 2016. My budget was around $16K but will push it to $20K for a 2017 Touring. The 2017 CX-5 Touring includes the i-ACTIVSENSE suite which is really nice to have.

Waid

Back