What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Replaced my low-beam H11 halogen bulbs with some Philips Vision Plus bulbs. Overall very happy with the improvement from the dimming factory halogens.

You've inspired me. I have 104K miles on mine, nearly, and drive with the lights on 24/7 because bulbs are cheaper than wrecks, and maybe it's saved me, or will, one day?
Anyway, I've whined to myself about how it seems pretty weak, and know that over time halogens will dim.

I have ordered replacements for mine, as well!
https://www.bulbfacts.com/halogen-bulbs/reviews/osram-night-breaker-unlimited-vs-oem.html

I went with mine figured it was a slight brightness upgrade and still would have relatively long life.

https://www.bulbfacts.com/halogen-bulbs/reviews/philips-visionplus-vs-oem.html
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I'm ignorant of how life-span stacks up, and since it's all "sample of a couple", I doubt anyone really can provide that. For example, I have all GE LED high CRI bulbs in my house. One of them died in a couple of days. The rest are fine. What if I had only bought 2, and one was the bad egg? hard to quantify, and I don't know what features etc. are associated with long-life on a halogen car headlight, so I did a simple candela vs. dollar plot and know I don't want "cold" color headlights, so stayed below 4000 Kelvin.

Tried out the much-hyped P&S Bead Maker today - I was very impressed with the gloss it adds to the paint, and it got better as it cured [emoji7]

398b25860bda02a1bd74394cf549ac99.jpg

My sisters car was totalled a month ago. I helped drive her around today to test drive cars and she decided on a CPO 2016 CX-5 GT.

Black?!? [emoji16]
Did you play with her knob?!? [emoji1787]

Ha! I wish! Silver.

Yeah I did. It's nice, I wish I had one...but no car payments is nicer. I noticed the infotainment in her 2016 takes waaaay longer to load things than mine does. But she definitely has more things in it than mine. Question...is this one of the systems you can hack Carplay onto? She was asking me about that.

For clarification, it is a 2016 GT, not a 2016.5.

Last edited:
You can only hack Android Auto on it. Car Play needs to be officially installed.

Last edited:
You should check her infotainment version though. You could do the disclaimer hack maybe.

40K mile service for the wife's CX-5 last Saturday, well 41K to be exact. Turns out the piston on the belt tensioner was leaking. That was fixed but it was costly at almost $400 for parts and labor. Unfortunately it wasn't covered by the powertrain warranty because it is supposedly a wear item. I still think that is stupid, especially a part that is leaking at only 41K miles, but whatever I wouldn't be able to fix it on my own anyway. The car does feel better to drive after though. Getting close to getting the CX-5 paid off which is exciting!

Edit: I asked the service advisor about installing carplay and they said it would cost $399 (includes parts and labor) + tax. So total cost would probably be around $430 here in Texas.

40K mile service for the wife's CX-5 last Saturday, well 41K to be exact. Turns out the piston on the belt tensioner was leaking. That was fixed but it was costly at almost $400 for parts and labor. Unfortunately it wasn't covered by the powertrain warranty because it is supposedly a wear item. I still think that is stupid, especially a part that is leaking at only 41K miles, but whatever I wouldn't be able to fix it on my own anyway. The car does feel better to drive after though. Getting close to getting the CX-5 paid off which is exciting!

Edit: I asked the service advisor about installing carplay and they said it would cost $399 (includes parts and labor) + tax. So total cost would probably be around $430 here in Texas.

What? Why? The tensioner is like $100. Is the labor really $300?

Tensioner seems to be a problematic part. I replaced mine, I think Chris did as well, and so did tibimakai, and I'm sure plenty of others have as well.

Drove in the snow today. What was hilarious was that the only car I saw get stuck on the road today was a CR-V. One of those newer ones. Poor thing couldn't make it up a gentle incline. (rofl)

Last edited:
Back