Did you have the rocker issue recall work done? Post your experience here

He only said they failed w/o warning.

So he didn't say how they dealt with those failures? I wonder if the failure he's referring to is something other than the rocker arm falling off.

We haven't heard about engines being replaced lately....

I am curious how they knew the rocker arm was off since they don't pull the valve covers off.

Rev the piss out of it!

But I really wonder if that's exactly what he meant. Lots of room for misunderstanding here.

I refer to the thread:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123868237-Dangerous-cylinder-deactivation-trouble-on-2018-CX-5-and-6-models/page44

...where you can find out that there is a cheap and simple way to periodically check if affected rocker arms are in place.

I have been driving more than a month after update and I see no differences in fuel consumption or changes in the characteristics of engine operation.
I drive a lot.

Do you think Mazda dealers are inspecting with an endoscope?

I don't think so, but maybe they should. (yes)
I direct it to users so that they can check it out for themselves.

In addition, this cheap camera can be useful even a thousand times in other applications.
An excellent example is checking closed frame profiles, places exposed to corrosion, etc.

Last edited:
I've had my 2018 CX-5 GT since March 2018. No issues with the car at all until two weeks ago. I was driving to work and while at a red light one block from the parking lot, various lights lit up the dash, screen started displaying "smart city brake system malfunction, "radar malfunction." The brakes started pumping and there was no power when I stepped on the gas when the light turned green.

I limped to the parking lot at 10mph. Shut it down after parking, waited a minute and turned it back on, no warning lights or issues. I called the dealer and told them what happened, they told me about the recall and said to bring it in the next day. They did the software update and car ran perfect for a week. On Friday afternoon, same thing happened while driving on a winding back road. Pulled over, shut it down, restarted- no more issues. I called dealer and dropped it back off on Saturday morning. They gave me a loaner and said they'd look at it this week. No word yet. I'm wondering if the recall was a red herring and something else is actually wrong or if there's an issue with the rocker arms.

Last edited:
I've had my 2018 CX-5 GT since March 2018. No issues with the car at all until two weeks ago. I was driving to work and while at a red light one block from the parking lot, various lights lit up the dash, screen started displaying "smart city brake system malfunction, "radar malfunction." The brakes started pumping and there was no power when I stepped on the gas when the light turned green.

I limped to the parking lot at 10mph. Shut it down after parking, waited a minute and turned it back on, no warning lights or issues. I called the dealer and told them what happened, they told me about the recall and said to bring it in the next day. They did the software update and car ran perfect for a week. On Friday afternoon, same thing happened while driving on a winding back road. Pulled over, shut it down, restarted- no more issues. I called dealer and dropped it back off on Saturday morning. They gave me a loaner and said they'd look at it this week. No word yet. I'm wondering if the recall was a red herring and something else it actually wrong or if there's an issue with the rocker arms.
What you describe doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the rocker arm problem.

I don't think so, but maybe they should. (yes)
I direct it to users so that they can check it out for themselves.

In addition, this cheap camera can be useful even a thousand times in other applications.
An excellent example is checking closed frame profiles, places exposed to corrosion, etc.

I agree with you, dealers are not checking with an endoscope.

I also agree with you that they're great. I've got one myself, and sometimes find a job that couldn't be done without it. They're inexpensive, too.

And I commend you for having the guts to try it. Because we both know, as you mentioned, how hard they can be to manipulate, especially around corners.

So if anyone is considering it, be very careful. Maybe practice a bit before you dive under the valve cover. Because if that camera gets caught in the valve train, you've got a real headache.

What you describe doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the rocker arm problem.

That's what I'm thinking and kinda fearing. The car is still under warranty, but I'm concerned the problem won't be correctly diagnosed right away and I'll have another "incident."

I limped to the parking lot at 10mph. Shut it down after parking, waited a minute and turned it back on, no warning lights or issues. I called the dealer and told them what happened, they told me about the recall and said to bring it in the next day. They did the software update and car ran perfect for a week. On Friday afternoon, same thing happened while driving on a winding back road. Pulled over, shut it down, restarted- no more issues. I called dealer and dropped it back off on Saturday morning. They gave me a loaner and said they'd look at it this week. No word yet. I'm wondering if the recall was a red herring and something else is actually wrong or if there's an issue with the rocker arms.

One has to really wonder how techs have been trained at some dealerships. They are supposed to check error codes and check the system that triggered the code. It sounds like your dealership cleared the codes and did the recall update. To me it sounds like your autonomous braking system is malfunctioning and needs to be fixed.

One has to really wonder how techs have been trained at some dealerships. They are supposed to check error codes and check the system that triggered the code. It sounds like your dealership cleared the codes and did the recall update. To me it sounds like your autonomous braking system is malfunctioning and needs to be fixed.

Just got a call from the dealership... I need a new motor. One of the rocker arms broke and caused some damage. They estimate it will be fixed next Monday or Tuesday.

Just got a call from the dealership... I need a new motor. One of the rocker arms broke and caused some damage. They estimate it will be fixed next Monday or Tuesday.
That's why I keep saying this cylinder deactivation recall is ridiculous without checking the rocker arm fallen before the PCM firmware update.

Further, software fix can hardly fix hardware problem, as there's nothing physically to prevent the rocker arm falling if the oil pressure isn't right.

Someone else has said Mazda put a wrong version of the PCM firmware causing the rocker arm fallen, which is not true. Mazda developed the PCM firmware initially for cylinder deactivation believing the software control can cover every criteriion of oil pressure changes making sure the rock arm would stay put without anything physically to keep the rocker arm in place like some other engines with cylinder deactivation. But apparently that's a failed approach, and Mazda have to add more software to change and control the oil pressure, which I believe it'll be a failed attempt just like failed attempt on EPB dragging problem started with software fix.

Wow. So it doesn't only cause cars to go into limp mode temporarily. This is far worse.
I wonder if they're stocking complete motors to supply the need.
I wonder how many they can afford to replace.
Tip of the iceberg?

I agree 100% no matter how many members here hate on you over the CD issue. I am in your camp.

A lot of people are going to try to minimize this problem, especially if they have an 18 or 19 NA. Let's hope it's not as bad as it appears at this time.

Wow. So it doesn't only cause cars to go into limp mode temporarily. This is far worse.
I wonder if they're stocking complete motors to supply the need.
I wonder how many they can afford to replace.
Tip of the iceberg?

The service advisor told me he had the parts in stock and they'd already started the work.

The service advisor told me he had the parts in stock and they'd already started the work.

"Parts" = "New/Rebuilt Engine," right?
Of course, I can't imagine there are a lot of rebuilt 2018 2.5L CD engines out there.

Man, this is not a good thing...for you specifically, for 2.5L CD car owners in general, and for Mazda.

The thing is, unless there's something different about these replacement motors (and I doubt that there is), everyone is perpetually at equal risk if suspicions are correct that the S/W fix is not effective.

-Those with unmodified cars are at risk
-Those with the [presumed ineffective] S/W update are at risk
-Those with new engines [and the presumed ineffective S/W update] are at risk

Last edited:
I can't imagine there are a lot of rebuilt 2018 2.5L CD engines out there.

That brings to mind a very early report that they were sending engines back to Japan.

The supply chain would be simple. Pull failed engines and send them all back to be rebuilt, install those rebuilt engines in new failures, pull those failures, send them back ad infinitum.

That would bring the costs that I was envisioning for Mazda WAY down.

So just like Oprah: you get a rebuilt engine, and you get a rebuilt engine, and YOU....

I just hope Mazda is thinking about how much of an extended warranty they'd better put on these rebuilt engines that they'll be putting in almost new cars.

Latest posts

Back