Noise even not pressing brake?

key3904

Hi all,

I have a friend is experiencing some noise sound like to items keep grinding each other, not a sharp noise, but sound like a loud noise cause by brake.
What a strange situation is, the noise happen as long as the car is moving. It doesn't matter of pressing the brake or not.

Is there anything could ring a bell for you please?

My friend did bring the car to repair store and they cannot locate the reason neither, claiming it's not the brake...

Thank you.

Did you check your caliper pins? Make sure they are not binding or seizing up which may cause the pad to drag across your rotors even when not pressing on the brake pedal... See video for lubricating pins.. Use only Sil-glyde brand, Other products may cause the rubber boot to swell up...

Hi all,

I have a friend is experiencing some noise sound like to items keep grinding each other, not a sharp noise, but sound like a loud noise cause by brake.
What a strange situation is, the noise happen as long as the car is moving. It doesn't matter of pressing the brake or not.

Is there anything could ring a bell for you please?

My friend did bring the car to repair store and they cannot locate the reason neither, claiming it's not the brake...

Thank you.
What model year of CX-5 does your friend have? If its a 2016 CX-5, he could suffer infamous Electric Parking Brake dragging issue.

yrwei52 - My friend's car actually not a cx-5, Mine is.
I come here as I originally looking for instruction to change brake.

My friend is driving a scino XB 2015 and I guess it may be brake or something around wheel to cause the noise.

Blackcx5 - Thank you for a suggestion about the caliper pin. sound like it should be something to give a try then ...shouldn't be too difficult to take a peek...
But the noise is pretty loud, which isn't a noise regularly braking noise. Would the noise loud if a brake on rotor caused by seizing?

Any other potential part would causing that please?

Thank you.

Last edited:

My friend is driving a scino XB 2015 and I guess it may be brake or something around wheel to cause the noise.

Blackcx5 - Thank you for a suggestion about the caliper pin. sound like it should be something to give a try then ...shouldn't be too difficult to take a peek...
But the noise is pretty loud, which isn't a noise regularly braking noise. Would the noise loud if a brake on rotor caused by seizing?

Thank you.

Bearings and CV joints can get noisy when they fail. Perhaps he has a dust shield of some sort that the wheel or tire are rubbing on.

Thank you.
How many miles on that 2015 Scion XB? Can you or the shop confirm the brake pads are still have enough thickness? If the grinding noise is really from brakes while driving, and the pads are having enough thickness at all 4 wheels, it could be the pads and rotors (or shoes and drums on rear) where the natural of material rub against each other causing the noise. But usually it cant be too loud if the brakes are not applied. If the pad thickness is thin, usually there's a metal tab on pad which will grind the rotor while moving making the noise.

Of course it can be other things other than brakes like shadonoz suggested previously. Some noise recording may help us to diagnose.

Back