Test drove 2019 CX-5. Disappointed

Well, after doing much research, watching all the YouTube reviews, and basically deciding that the 2020 Signature would be my next vehicle after my Jeep Cherokee lease expires in July, I took a test drive of a 2019 Signature yesterday.

The CX-5 is off my list.

I found it to be cramped, not particularly quiet, and only barely acceptable power. The steering wheel was hard and slippery, and only partially heated of course which on a very cold day yesterday was annoying. The legs of my 5'10" backseat test passenger were right up against the back of the driver seat. The vehicle also felt a little, how should I say it, tinny. There were many positives of course, but the small confines and tinny feeling are deal breakers for me.

But realizing that the comparison might be unfair because I was coming from a heavier, V6 Cherokee, I wanted to test another vehicle. The only other dealer open near where I was late yesterday afternoon was Toyota, and I took the Rav4 Hybrid for a spin. It was big, roomy, bright, felt more solid than the CX-5, had ample power, and the road/wind noise that reviewers seem to be complaining about was indistinguishable from the CX-5, which the reviewers said was quiet. I did this testing at about 75mph. I'm beginning to think that reviews, even those very fancy 25 minute YouTube projects, must be taken with a BIG grain of salt.

So I am disappointed that I must remove the CX-5 from my list. But the Rav4 Hybrid has replaced it, and did I mention that that it averages 40 mph? :) Still up to test drive is the VW Tiguan (with its supposedly puny engine) and the BMW X3 (with its likely too high cost).

Well, after doing much research, watching all the YouTube reviews, and basically deciding that the 2020 Signature would be my next vehicle after my Jeep Cherokee lease expires in July, I took a test drive yesterday.

The CX-5 is off my list.

I found it to be cramped, not particularly quiet, and only barely acceptable power. The steering wheel was hard and slippery, and only partially heated of course which on a very cold day yesterday was annoying. The legs of my 5'10" backseat test passenger were right up against the back of the driver seat. The vehicle also felt a little, how should I say it, tinny. There were many positives of course, but the small confines and tinny feeling are deal breakers for me.

But realizing that the comparison might be unfair because I was coming from a heavier, V6 Cherokee, I wanted to test another vehicle. The only other dealer open near where I was late yesterday afternoon was Toyota, and I took the Rav4 Hybrid for a spin. It was big, roomy, bright, felt more solid than the CX-5, had ample power, and the road/wind noise that reviewers seem to be complaining about was indistinguishable from the CX-5, which the reviewers said was quiet. I did this testing at about 75mph. I'm beginning to think that reviews, even those very fancy 25 minute YouTube projects, must be taken with a BIG grain of salt.

So I am disappointed that I must remove the CX-5 from my list. But the Rav4 Hybrid has replaced it, and did I mention that that it averages 40 mph? :) Still up to test drive is the VW Tiguan (with its supposedly puny engine) and the BMW X3 (with its likely too high cost).

What was the temperature out during this event?

Also, the CX5 is pretty quiet, at 67dB at 70mph cruise. The Jeep Cherokee is exceptionally quiet, though. The RAV hybrid isn't really any quieter than the CX5. I believe louder.

If space is a major concern, the CX-5 will fall off your list pretty quick. The Toyota may be "your" better choice. I'm glad you realized it on a test drive and not regretted your purchase.

I really don't understand the space issue. I came from an Xterra and find the CX-5 just fine. I sat in the back seat and had plenty of leg room, I'm 5-10". Plenty of driver's room and as a passenger in the front, I feel I have ample room. It's a vehicle, not your living room. I feel much more in control in the CX-5 vs the bigger Xterra.....and so much more fun to drive.

Having just come from a Grand Cherokee V8 4WD to a GT-Reserve myself, I was gonna comment to the OP, but decided, "why bother".

What was the temperature out during this event?

Also, the CX5 is pretty quiet, at 67dB at 70mph cruise. The Jeep Cherokee is exceptionally quiet, though. The RAV hybrid isn't really any quieter than the CX5. I believe louder.

It was about 35 degrees.

I thought the Rav4 was louder too, but really didn't notice any significant difference between. And actually the Rav4 was better as far as tire noise on some slight rutted highway roadway.

it's quiet and turbo has lots of power...sorry, but I smell a troll

Yeah, I knew that to post something honest and possibly disagree with one of the cheerleaders here I would be called a troll. That used to be called discussion. I registered for this forum because I was going to buy a CX-5.

If space is a major concern, the CX-5 will fall off your list pretty quick. The Toyota may be "your" better choice. I'm glad you realized it on a test drive and not regretted your purchase.

Actually space wasn't a major concern, which is why I was surprised that I felt somewhat confined. I may take another test drive, because sometimes a second look is much different, like looking at apartments.

Yeah, I knew that to post something honest and possibly disagree with one of the cheerleaders here I would be called a troll. That used to be called discussion. I registered for this forum because I was going to buy a CX-5.

So you registered to post you didn't like the CX-5?..brilliant. Your review made zero sense...it's very quiet and it's one of most powerful engines in its class

I don't understand the point of your post. You test drove the CX-5 and did not like it. Fine. You liked the Rav-4 more. Fine. Buy what you like. But not sure why we should care.

It was about 35 degrees.

I thought the Rav4 was louder too, but really didn't notice any significant difference between. And actually the Rav4 was better as far as tire noise on some slight rutted highway roadway.

Absolute dB, when within 2-3, or so, is far less important than frequency, regarding perception, with lower tone being less obtrusive typically, as a simplification.

So you registered to post you didn't like the CX-5?..brilliant. Your review made zero sense...it's very quiet and it's one of most powerful engines in its class

He registered months before this post, has made dozens of other posts. He likely came here to learn about the vehicle for purchase consideration and has now decided against it and given us a reason why. I really dont see the problem.

He registered months before this post, has made dozens of other posts. He likely came here to learn about the vehicle for purchase consideration and has now decided against it and given us a reason why. I really dont see the problem.
ok..but his reasoning makes little sense..cramped, not quiet and only acceptable power? Never heard 1 person complain about loudness or the lack of power.

edit...and tinny lol

Consider the gas RAV4 if your drive is mostly highway or rural. I was able to save about $5k off the sticker price on my 19 RAV4 XLE Premium AWD. Many people say the hybrid is only like $2k more than the gas version but you wont be able to negotiate thousands below sticker on the hybrid. As the engine is always running though it is definitely louder than the CX-5. Averaging 32-33 mpg driving it daily so the gas mileage vs premium of a hybrid worked in the gas versions favor. Slightly less HP but the AWD of the gas version is superior IMO vs the hybrid. If AWD and price arent a concern tho hybrid ftw. Or save even more and get just 2WD :D

The RAV4 is a better family car for us. Had the car been for myself though I wouldve gone with the CX-5 with the turbo.

Last edited:

The problem is, he came onto the CX-5 forum and had the audacity to say something negative about one....(cryhard) It is nice to see different opinions. This is what makes the world go round. If everyone wanted the CX-5 and nothing else, it would be pretty boring out on the streets.

The problem is, he came onto the CX-5 forum and had the audacity to say something negative about one....(cryhard) It is nice to see different opinions. This is what makes the world go round. If everyone wanted the CX-5 and nothing else, it would be pretty boring out on the streets.

Yeah, but at least people would slow down in the snow and ice, rofl!

Back