What have you done to your Miata today?

Changed the oil today. All things considered, it wasnt that bad.

We will see how I feel after mounting the winter wheels and replacing front struts on our sons 3 in the next couple of weeks
Have you pulled the seal out where the trunk lid meets the rest of the car?
Did not pull it out, just ran fingers along to see if it was in place. Everything felt good.
Me? Yeah, the trunk lid's gutted, why?
Hey, mine too! But only until I get the leak figured out.

Nice pics at the museum.
Hes responding to jeff, forgive him hes getting old [emoji6]
Hey, why you calling me old? [emoji12]

Had a PHENOMENAL time at the inagural SCCA Time Trial Nationals. Car ran great. I drove ok. I ended up the fastest car in my (novice...) heat by about a second and a half, which had some interesting side effects (see below). This is going to be a series next year, so if one comes near you, and you like track things, you should TOTALLY do this. Got about 3 hours of track time over the weekend. And please don't think you need my level of safety gear if you're attending in something not on race tires, because you don't. I mean, it wouldn't hurt, but it's not required that you drop $$$ on that stuff just to come play.

My fastest times in each session:

I'm not posting this "publicly" because it's a bit braggy, but I had a lot, LOT, LOT of fun this session:

That track looks amazing. Sorry I couldn't make it to watch you decimate all. :D

Had a PHENOMENAL time at the inagural SCCA Time Trial Nationals. Car ran great. I drove ok. I ended up the fastest car in my (novice...) heat by about a second and a half, which had some interesting side effects (see below). This is going to be a series next year, so if one comes near you, and you like track things, you should TOTALLY do this. Got about 3 hours of track time over the weekend. And please don't think you need my level of safety gear if you're attending in something not on race tires, because you don't. I mean, it wouldn't hurt, but it's not required that you drop $$$ on that stuff just to come play.

My fastest times in each session:

I'm not posting this "publicly" because it's a bit braggy, but I had a lot, LOT, LOT of fun this session:

Nice, waving to the cars you passed![emoji6] looked like a great time!!!

Nice, waving to the cars you passed![emoji6] looked like a great time!!!

It felt like the nice thing to do, to give a little thanks for a good point by. Apparently it's pretty common judging from talking to people at the event at least. One of the greatest things about the event was the "same team" attitude everyone from organizers to corner workers to the drivers had. It was all of us trying to beat the track and the clock, and not nearly so much about trying to go out and wring the neck of the guy next to you. Made for a super relaxed, friendly event, even in the midst of maximum attack competition.

Think I mentioned the driver's inner fender liner getting damaged when I had the issue with the front suspension. Since that sort of thing bothers me I ordered a new one. Got that in last week so installed it today. Here is the damage I am talking about (look about the middle of the picture):

45036912992_b3182c5c45_h.jpg

Notice the three holes at the top of the picture. Getting to those is the hardest part of the whole replacement unless you want to take the whole front end off.

45085140081_df7d137e92_h.jpg

This is the area I am talking about where those three fasteners go:

45036914072_0034530fe5_h.jpg

I am used to working by feel but know that not everyone is comfortable doing that. If you have a very small head you can get in there to see to line up the holes, otherwise you will have to remove more than I did. If that's the case do it, so you don't get frustrated or break something else.

It felt like the nice thing to do, to give a little thanks for a good point by. Apparently it's pretty common judging from talking to people at the event at least. One of the greatest things about the event was the "same team" attitude everyone from organizers to corner workers to the drivers had. It was all of us trying to beat the track and the clock, and not nearly so much about trying to go out and wring the neck of the guy next to you. Made for a super relaxed, friendly event, even in the midst of maximum attack competition.

[emoji106]

Those are some good shots.

Headed for my first car show tomorrow. I washed her yesterday with Dawn to remove the old wax, today after some errands I applied Zymol cleaner wax I have had for a while to see how it looked. Here is the result:

45073223092_f3ea78bc71_b.jpg

30184214917_dbcb6f4051_b.jpg

She'll be in the sun tomorrow so we will see how shiny she is. Passing rain squall squashed doing that today.

After eight years of ownership I finally got around to replacing a screw that was missing off the front of the passenger side side skirt. I could never find it on the Mazda drawings I have access to. Lo and behold while surfing eBay I found it. Was at the dealer this morning and they had some, so that is done.

45073220992_a1fd220fe4_b.jpg

Also while surfing eBay I came across a complete intake assembly for a '99-00 (from airbox to crossover tube) that was pristine. It was apparently removed when the car was new and set aside. No idea if I will ever need it, but given the hoops I had to jump through when the 'charger ingested a bearing I thought it would be nice to have. For less than $100 shipped it's mine now.

Haven't really messed with the trunk lately due to my foot/ankle. It did pour here this morning for the first time in a while. I checked the trunk 10 minutes ago and it is bone dry. Thought for sure I would see some form of puddling since I haven't changed anything since the last time I saw water?

Picked this up today

Very nice! I also picked up an award last week3nd, 3rd place!

Congrats to you both! :)

NO BICYCLES ALLOWED ON COURSE!!!

Where is that damn LIKE button!!! (2thumbs)

shined her up and she went to a new home Saturday... she went to a great home.

Sad to see that you let her go but it's nice to know she went to a good home. You def. had your ups and downs with her along the way.

Thanks Jeff.

I continued with research to try and figure out what was causing my stumbling issue. The morning of the car show it was the worst it had ever been, I thought she was going to die. As it turns out, a failing coolant temperature sensor can cause this. In looking ata data log I took I noticed the coolant temperature was fluctuating during the same time as the AFR swings. Since none of the ignition stuff I tried worked I figured why not? Ordered a new one up Monday and picked it up on Wednesday. After looking everything over and checking the wires that I extended for the sensor connector I thought it would be a good idea to use some heat insulation on the wiring at the back of the engine. Ordered that from Amazon and it showed up yesterday. Went about installing it all once I had it in hand.

In order to ease access to the sensor I removed the shock brace, wiper cowl and brake booster hard line. That opened it all up.

44709763254_383064e4f0_h.jpg

Once I had the sensor free I went about removing the gasket off it. This was not successful, so I went to Ace to see what I could find. Ended up with a neoprene rubber washer that I cut down to fit. Next I cut a piece of the insulation tube to slide over the wiring for the sensor. It was much larger than needed just so I could slide it over the connector, so I folded it over and zip tied it up.

44709757364_d078921eb1_h.jpg

For the rest of the wiring in that area (ignition coils) I went with a split blanket that Velcroed together, as so:

30493793617_cdd057a049_h.jpg

44709761674_0a160810a7_h.jpg

Here is the finished product:

45434252741_5db81603f7_h.jpg

Since the fix I have not had any other problems with stumbling. I was curious about the gasket for the sensor though. The parts listing for engine relays on Mazda Motorsports' site does not have a diagram so no way of knowing what is what. The factory repair manual doesn't show anything either. I stopped by the dealer to see if their diagrams would show anything and they did. There are a couple of those on order now so I'll be installing one upon receipt.

Back