2015 Nav upgrade really so expensive?

:
2017 CX-5 Touring with I-Activesense in Eternal Blue Mica
2015 Nav upgrade really so expensive?

I have a 2017 Touring without navigation and was delighted to learn (here) that all I needed to do was buy an SD card and pop it in to get the navigation going. So I bought the card on eBay for $85 and Im all set. Not the worlds greatest navigation but handy.

So when my buddy got a 2015 CX 5 recently with the touch screen and nav button, but no actual navigation, I thought Id be a hero. My bad.

Since the Ebay seller advertised that same card as being compatible from 20152017, I figured it was the same story.

I looked online and sure enough there were videos showing the reader on the lower left of the dash.

But what I didnt do is actually look at his car.

I know, I know.

Of course after I ordered the card for him and came over to install it, I saw that theres a little empty cubbyhole there, not a card reader.

Since he *does* have the touchscreen and the navigation button on it, I then assumed I just needed to get a reader but it looks like the reader is actually a $500 part that includes other hardware.

So, at risk of many eye rolls among you, Im just writing to confirm thats the case, and if so if anybody knows any way to get it for any less than about $500. Ive looked on eBay and all the usual places but it seems inescapable.

Fortunately the seller will take the card back but hoping someone has some good news. Ive seen a couple of very old threads were people got the module for 200 bucks but cant find anything close to that out in the wild.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes the early CX-5 thru and including 2015 use a TOM TOM based system that includes a hardware module that is installed into that knee cubby.

The module is rather expensive at ~$450, however you can try used one instead of new... if you want to try and save some money.

Yes the early CX-5 thru and including 2015 use a TOM TOM based system that includes a hardware module that is installed into that knee cubby.

The module is rather expensive at ~$450, however you can try used one instead of new... if you want to try and save some money.

Thank you. Any advice on where to look for used?

There is a guy on the CX-5 Club fb page that sells a kit to enable nav in the situation like this. He supplies an OEM module and a card too. I'll see if I can find it.

There is a guy on the CX-5 Club fb page that sells a kit to enable nav in the situation like this. He supplies an OEM module and a card too. I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks Chris. Much appreciated.

Im a member there too, and I checked it out. I found a guy who was selling one as a one-off for 200 with card. Does that sound like the guy you were thinking of?

Id have more confidence if he were selling multiples, This is just a guy whos been trying to sell the same one for six months so not 100% sure what Id be getting.

Here are the install instructions for '13-'15 nav. I thought SD card is married after a certain number of miles to vehicle. I'm not certain though but just a heads up if used unit purchased. I can't remember if fact or urban legend.

https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/mazdacx5nav.pdf

Mac/Win download for Tom Tom Home here

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5122/~/installing-tomtom-home

This is needed for updating maps and backing up. Also free traffic camera data updates this way as well.

EDIT: Somewhat true being compatible with '15... just not the '15 that was sold in North American market.... our '15 here in NA was '14 elsewhere. Our '16 was everyone's '15 outside of NA.

Last edited:
Here are the install instructions for '13-'15 nav. I thought SD card is married after a certain number of miles to vehicle. I'm not certain though but just a heads up if used unit purchased. I can't remember if fact or urban legend.

https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/mazdacx5nav.pdf

Mac/Win download for Tom Tom Home here

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5122/~/installing-tomtom-home

This is needed for updating maps and backing up. Also free traffic camera data updates this way as well.

EDIT: Somewhat true being compatible with '15... just not the '15 that was sold in North American market.... our '15 here in NA was '14 elsewhere. Our '16 was everyone's '15 outside of NA.

Thanks. So youre saying the one this guy is offering might not fit the 15?

Correct... I’d be looking for something that mentioned ‘13 or ‘14 to be sure

A part number for SD card will confirm. I don’t have that offhand but a quick Google search with PN and Tom Tom should show if correct part.

If it says for NB1 it is for the Tom Tom. This was used in CX-9, 6 and 3 for at least a few model years

The older head units were completely different. The GPS add on was a module that connected to the antenna, did all the processing, had a small operating system to run it and just sent the head unit a video signal and received inputs in return. That's why its more expensive.

What I do, and would recommend, is just use Waze on a phone mount. Better in almost every way.

I’m a member there too, and I checked it out. I found a guy who was selling one as a one-off for 200 with card. Does that sound like the guy you were thinking of?

I’d have more confidence if he were selling multiples, This is just a guy who’s been trying to sell the same one for six months so not 100% sure what I’d be getting.

No, this guy has beens elling multiple. I saw him mentioned on a post once and a few people chime in. Apparently he gets OEM modules and makes a working kit that he sells to non nav cars.

The older head units were completely different. The GPS add on was a module that connected to the antenna, did all the processing, had a small operating system to run it and just sent the head unit a video signal and received inputs in return. That's why its more expensive.

What I do, and would recommend, is just use Waze on a phone mount. Better in almost every way.

I agree, but the friend really wants an integrated GPS.

No, this guy has beens elling multiple. I saw him mentioned on a post once and a few people chime in. Apparently he gets OEM modules and makes a working kit that he sells to non nav cars.

Great, that’s good. But I can’t seem to find him – if you have any luck please let me know.

Or really brave with one of the replacement head units that also include NAV...

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

s-l500.png

Last edited:
I found him. If you are a member of the CX-5 club here is a link to the post. https://www.facebook.com/groups/154...27025if_id=1513740185915496if_t=group_comment

The guys name is Randy Kun. He seems to have good feedback and be legit, but I don't have any personal experience or endorsements to offer.

Another user tagged me in the original post. https://www.facebook.com/groups/154..._id=1513740361497765if_t=group_comment_follow

HhkfTif.png

Yes, Im a member I see you on the post. Randy was the guy I thought was one-off, glad to hear hes got good rep. I know youre not personally vouching for him but looks good. Ill reach out to him there. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back