2018 CX-5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/Jerk/Lurch

This is from the 2019 manual (Pg 4-65):

Active Adaptive Shift (AAS) automatically controls the transaxle shift points to best suit the road conditions and driver input. This improves driving feel. The transaxle may switch to AAS mode when driving up and down slopes, cornering, driving at high elevations, or depressing the accelerator pedal quickly while the selector lever is in the D position. Depending on the road and driving conditions/vehicle operations, gear shifting could be delayed or not occur, however, this does not indicate a problem because the AAS mode will maintain the optimum gear position.

It sounds like the shift points constantly change.

The only discussion in the 2019 manual regarding specific speeds in specific gears is the discussion on when to up-shift when in Manual Mode. (Pg 4-69)

Here's a new video discussing Mazda's tranny and turbo. He suggests torque converter as a possible source of roughness. FWIW.
Are CVTs Bad? Why Mazda Avoids CVT Transmissions

Thanks for that.

I've seen this guy's vids before. He has one that does a great job of explaining oil catch cans, and made some side comment as to how they were of little value on turbos (because of their different PCV valve set-up?). I gotta rewind his stuff sometimes to catch his point because he puts so much information out there.

Watching that vid, I learned as much about the engine (didn't know about the EGR having a cooler to reduce ping and increase fuel economy) and how the turbo stays spun up at all RPMs (exhaust flow restriction at lower RPMs) as I did about transmissions.

I found his anecdote about his mother not liking the CX-5 to be interesting. Her reason for disliking (too stiff to drive) is the exact reason so many of us like the car. And the guy echoed every review of the CX-5 I have seen (and I watched a ton of them): he really likes how the car drives, and he struggles to diminish how much he enjoys it merely to support his statement that "if you want to have fun driving, buy a car." I bet if he compared the CX-5's driveability side-by-side to many of the cars out there, he would struggle even harder to keep his position.

Regarding the torque converter and the roughness: if that were the cause, then I would think that the roughness would be a universal issue due to design and not just a problem that some/many have...wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the same but I've had trouble with hard shifts in my 2017 since new.

The 1 - 2 shift felt like it would hesitate and lose power during the shift, then lurch into 2nd. Starting from a stop would lurch as it engaged 1st gear. Slowing down and then giving it gas was the worst and would sometimes rev up and then engage with a big lurch. Slowing down to a stop would lurch as it went into 1st and feels like someone bumped into the back of the car. I took it to the dealer a couple times and the first time they reset transmission learning and it was better for about 2 days, the second time they did nothing.

Just last week at about 2 years old with 26k miles I finally did a drain/fill of the transmission and set the level with the engine running using forscan to monitor TFT and it's like 90% better. Better than it's ever been but it's only been a few hundred miles so we'll see how it keeps going. It looked like the factory fill was either right at the low mark or under it.

One thing is for sure, the CX-5 is one complex machine. I almost think it is a robot with artificial intelligence (drive)

I've seen this guy's vids before. He has one that does a great job of explaining oil catch cans, and made some side comment as to how they were of little value on turbos (because of their different PCV valve set-up?). I gotta rewind his stuff sometimes to catch his point because he puts so much information out there.

And he talks really fast and hardly takes a breath! But he knows his stuff, doesn't BS, and has good attitudes. :)

Regarding the torque converter and the roughness: if that were the cause, then I would think that the roughness would be a universal issue due to design and not just a problem that some/many have...wouldn't it?

That's one possibility. But there are a lot of inputs and a lot of moving parts and any one being out of tolerance could foul up the whole system. That's what causes most failures of most well designed systems. The CD rocker arms comes to mind; also the ocassional turbo stumble. And since the Mazda TC is so "tight", it might be more vulnerable.

We need more investigation.

We need more investigation.

If I had more knowledge on the subject, I'd set up a poll. But I don't know the specific data points to capture...probably too many to get anything meaningful out of a forum poll.

There's a couple of other issues here that are crying out for an informal survey.

A new driver,no prior driving experience to knw about shift, manual n such...with a 3 week old 2019 CX-5 GT automatic mfd Apr, with 150 on the odo.... whenever I slow down to get over a speed hump and then try to pick up speed, the car jus doesnt move fast soon enough... i have to press on more and it jumps fwd n goes... same happens when i stop at traffic signals.when the green light comes and I try to pick up speed, it wont go fast...it hesitates... also while slowing down for a right turn. So after reading this thread, shoul I just have to put up with this design?
Also jerk fwd n bk when I brake fr signal, n when shiting to Park. Above 60 speed is fine, but once I slow down, its not a happy process to go up again.

It will take some time for the AT to learn how you drive. I suspect, as the miles roll on that things will smooth out for you. Give it a few thousand miles. Ed

Hi All. Its been a long time since I first started this thread. Just wanted to update regarding the lurching/ jerking nature. I feel that the transmission is fine and is doing what it is supposed to do. To make sure that the transmission is not causing the issue, I put my car in manual mode at around 40 mph and slowed down to a complete halt at a stop sign. The transmission automatically downshifts in manual mode when there is no user input. I noticed the shifts were smooth with no jumps.

After lot of thinking, I was able to come up with replicating the issue. It basically happens during engine braking. When you let go off the throttle, after a couple of seconds you can start feeling the engine braking happen. At this point when you apply slight dab on the throttle, you can feel the car jerk or rather make a clicking noise. My thinking is that jerk or clicking noise is coming from the opening / closing of the throttle valve.

So in my opinion the transmission is ok. It might be due to how the throttle valve opens and closes.

Thanks.

It's the rubbery ass motor mounts guys. The cam timing at low speed causes the jerkiness, and the OEM mounts transmit it. Doesnt matter if you have a cx5 or mazda 3 or 6. Anyone that changed to a polyurethane rear motor mount has greatly reduced this. Also less torque lost to the suspension/mount deflection. In fact when I changed my transmission mount for poly (I have 2 poly mounts), I noticed my OEM mount had a tear in the rubber.

I'm getting that jerkiness when taking off sometimes... How noticeable is the vibration from poly mount?

You know Ive been driving my mother-in-laws 2017 Mazda 3 and it has none of this with the transmission. It also has the 2.0 motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know Ive been driving my mother-in-laws 2017 Mazda 3 and it has none of this with the transmission. It also has the 2.0 motor.
IMO this low speed transmission jerking issue is possibly caused by the modification of transmission design on hardware to fight the vibration from cylinder deactivation. We havent seen such complaints until 2018 MY when CD introduced, and the ATF under-fill from factory may also make this symptom more obvious to drivers.

Yea that could be. It does seem thats when all the complaints started.

One thing thats interesting... I think someone said since they had the recall work done for the rocker arm they see this herky jerkiness less. Today I was driving my wifes CX-5 and I couldnt get it to do it. I didnt try very many times though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO this low speed transmission jerking issue is possibly caused by the modification of transmission design on hardware to fight the vibration from cylinder deactivation. We haven*t seen such complaints until 2018 MY when CD introduced, and the ATF under-fill from factory may also make this symptom more obvious to drivers.

I wonder if that means this transmission issue will manifest itself in other models.

Took my Sig in for its first oil change this past Thursday.

Had the conversation with the Service Advisor about my experiences with the herky-jerky low-speed issue.

Asked him (based on other people's suggestions here on this forum) to have them check the fluid level, and he straight up told me there was no dipstick.

I spent 5 minutes trying to tell him that there was, in fact, a dipstick under the Airfilter housing (I believe?) and he was adamant they cannot check the level.

I asked him how they refill it after a drain and fill, and he just stared at me.

HOW easy is it to get to it? I'd like to check it myself.

Anyone know of a good dealer in the Toronto area that I can deal with?

Took my Sig in for its first oil change this past Thursday.

Had the conversation with the Service Advisor about my experiences with the herky-jerky low-speed issue.

Asked him (based on other people's suggestions here on this forum) to have them check the fluid level, and he straight up told me there was no dipstick.

I spent 5 minutes trying to tell him that there was, in fact, a dipstick under the Airfilter housing (I believe?) and he was adamant they cannot check the level.

I asked him how they refill it after a drain and fill, and he just stared at me.

HOW easy is it to get to it? I'd like to check it myself.

Anyone know of a good dealer in the Toronto area that I can deal with?

Didn't you just post that they blew you off regarding your XM issues?

Sure, I'd look for another dealer, but I'd also tell Mazda Corporate about all this (sorry if you already did and I forgot).

Back