So what happens if...

Lamentation and gnashing of teeth.

Especially if it lands in the tall grass.

It hits the CR-V hogging the left lane on the windshield that you just passed.

You're driving and toss your fob out the window?
Nothing happens⋯ You keep driving until you get to your destination. Make sure to get your spare key fob before you shut down your engine. And you lost about 200 bucks for replacement key fob and reprogramming cost by your Mazda dealer! :)

Nothing happens⋯ You keep driving until you get to your destination. Make sure to get your spare key fob before you shut down your engine. And you lost about 200 bucks for replacement key fob and reprogramming cost by your Mazda dealer! :)

Isn't it kind of impossible to lock the car without the fob? I've been in a keyless ignition vehicle TWICE, so I am totally ignorant of this stuff.

My girlfriend drove her CRV to work a few weeks ago, then realized she had left the FOB at the house when she went to go home for the day. Yes, you can lock the car w/out the FOB. I do it all the time when I go outside and lock the car(s) for the evening.

I don't believe the car will stop (mine hasn't), but once stopped and turned off, well then, out of luck?

It does take time to get used to. Not sure if anyone pointed out but if the car detects the key is outside of the car, a certain beeping and I think a light indicator flashes reminding you. Its a decent quality key and has good range. My BMW, VW, and Honda fobs didn't have as good range as this key. The VW Jetta fob/keys were my favorite though.

You're driving and toss your fob out the window?

Nothing. The car and fob are not in constant communication - this would deplete the fob battery. You can start the car with a dead fob by holding it close to the start button.

Nothing. The car and fob are not in constant communication - this would deplete the fob battery. You can start the car with a dead fob by holding it close to the start button.

OK thanks. That's what I was wondering - still not clear on how the fob is triggered except through some kind of request from the ignition and doors (but then, wouldn't it need to be listening?).

Ok, maybe a more realistic scenario than tossing the fob out the window that happened to me. Drove the wife to an appointment and I didn't have my fob with me (thought I did) but her fob was in her purse so no problem to start or operate the car. Got to our destination and I dropped her off and started to go park. As soon as she was out of range of the car (a couple of feet) I started getting a fast alarm beep and the key symbol on the dash display (engine kept running). She came back to the car when she heard the alarm, I got her fob and continued on. I could have shut it off and locked it without the fob but felt better knowing I had it if needed.

OK thanks. That's what I was wondering - still not clear on how the fob is triggered except through some kind of request from the ignition and doors (but then, wouldn't it need to be listening?).
Well I think the car when off senses when the fob is in proximity, therefore it will let you turn on the accessories and start the car if the brake is pressed.

Even with the fob battery depleted you can press the button with the fob because there is a little chip in the fob that the car can still read.

After that if the fob were thrown out the window it wouldn't matter. The car is already started.

But turn off the car, hope you have your spare handy!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The fob responds to two kinds of signals. RF and magnetic. RF is used when exchanging code info to unlock doors or start the car. Magnetic is used as a proximity detection.

The fob responds to two kinds of signals. RF and magnetic. RF is used when exchanging code info to unlock doors or start the car. Magnetic is used as a proximity detection.

Probably best to keep it away from a wallet/CCs, then!

No worries. The fob only emits RF. It wakes up to low frequency magnetic fields. This keeps its activity range close to the car.

As an aside, check that both your mechanical keys work on your car. I decided to test mine, and one was clearly not for my car! (dealer made a new key, no questions asked).

Back