Is change oil necessary/recommended after break-in period?

:
‘17 CX9 & ‘19 3 GT
Any suggestions/advise if necessary or recommended to change the oil after new vehicle's break-in period of 1000KMs? It doesn't state any such maintenance in the owner's manual of the new CX9 just some basic tips of no hard acceleration, no hard braking, not to travel for ext period of time at constant engine speed and not to over rev engine and no towing. Pretty sure modern engines require less maintenance these days compared to 20-30 yrs ago...

Officially, no early oil change is needed.
Modern CNC machining and sonic cleaning result in tighter tolerances and less break-in wear.
Furthermore, Mazda uses synthetic oil with a high moly content that minimizes engine wear.

That said, I'm still "old school" enough that I have an early (1,000 miles or so) oil change performed on all of my new vehicles.
It's likely a waste of $, but it satisfies my ocd tendencies when it comes to car maintenance.

Bottom line ... early oil change is neither necessary nor recommended.
OCD individuals like me do it anyway. (headshake

Turborascal is correct. If you search on BITOG, there is no clear advantage either way.
I am OCD as well and like the piece of mind of getting any break in particulate out of the engine ASAP (although its mostly captured by the filter).
I have done this on all my vehicles.

I did the oil and filter change on my CX-9 myself at 2000kms... Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 w/Mobil 1 EP Filter

Do whatever makes you sleep at night
Cheers

Modern CNC machining and sonic cleaning result in tighter tolerances and less break-in wear.
Furthermore, Mazda uses synthetic oil with a high moly content that minimizes engine wear.

That said, I'm still "old school" enough that I have an early (1,000 miles or so) oil change performed on all of my new vehicles.
It's likely a waste of $, but it satisfies my ocd tendencies when it comes to car maintenance.

Does it state anywhere what brand/type of oil is used on the new CX9s? Is it really full synthetic 5W 30 grade? Just curious...

OCD or not but I have different opinion about changing oil too early on a brand new vehicle. On new CX-9 I'd suggest changing your oil at 5,000 miles for the first oil change, then follow the Schedule 1 Engine Oil Flexible Maintenance Interval by turn on your oil life monitor. The "Flexible" OCI calculates the oil life and display the "Oil change due" message when the oil change is due. For CX-9 the maximum Flexible OCI can be up to 12 months or 7,500 miles. You can change your oil earlier before your oil life dropped to very low percentage if you feel like it, just remember to reset it via Maintenance Monitor to make the oil life monitor in sync with fresh oil after you changed the oil.

It's proven by UOA on CX-5 that the factory filled oil in SkyActiv-G has very high level of molybdenum compounds which not only provide frictional benefits, but also have been shown to decrease LSPI, Low Speed Pre-Ignition. LSPI can cause engine damage and it could happen to GDI engines like SkyActiv-G. For CX-5 we can get Mazda 0W-20 Moly oil and by changing factory fill early with it should not lose too much moly. But CX-9's SA-G turbo calls for 5W-30, and finding 5W-30 with high moly content is not an easy task. That's why I strongly suggest to leave your factory filled oil there as long as possible for your new CX-9, and try to find high-moly 5W-30 oil and use it afterwards. Mobil 1 contains high calcium which actually promotes LSPI. See more discussions here:

2.5L Oil level fluctuation

Although Mazda doesn't say it, but Honda has specifically said in the break-in section of owner's manual that don't change oil early as they use special "break-in" oil for factory fill.

So my bottom line ⋯ early oil change is neither necessary nor recommended. This includes OCD individuals like me! :)

OCD or not but I have different opinion about changing oil too early on a brand new vehicle. On new CX-9 I'd suggest changing your oil at 5,000 miles for the first oil change, then follow the Schedule 1 Engine Oil Flexible Maintenance Interval by turn on your oil life monitor. The "Flexible" OCI calculates the oil life and display the "Oil change due" message when the oil change is due. For CX-9 the maximum Flexible OCI can be up to 12 months or 7,500 miles. You can change your oil earlier before your oil life dropped to very low percentage if you feel like it, just remember to reset it via Maintenance Monitor to make the oil life monitor in sync with fresh oil after you changed the oil.

It's proven by UOA on CX-5 that the factory filled oil in SkyActiv-G has very high level of molybdenum compounds which not only provide frictional benefits, but also have been shown to decrease LSPI, Low Speed Pre-Ignition. LSPI can cause engine damage and it could happen to GDI engines like SkyActiv-G. For CX-5 we can get Mazda 0W-20 Moly oil and by changing factory fill early with it should not lose too much moly. But CX-9's SA-G turbo calls for 5W-30, and finding 5W-30 with high moly content is not an easy task. That's why I strongly suggest to leave your factory filled oil there as long as possible for your new CX-9, and try to find high-moly 5W-30 oil and use it afterwards. Mobil 1 contains high calcium which actually promotes LSPI. See more discussions here:

2.5L Oil level fluctuation

Although Mazda doesn't say it, but Honda has specifically said in the break-in section of owner's manual that don't change oil early as they use special "break-in" oil for factory fill.

So my bottom line ⋯ early oil change is neither necessary nor recommended. This includes OCD individuals like me! :)

Thank you for the wonderful insights! I normally use castrol edge full synthetic on my volvo for 7yrs and no issues. Mazda recommends castrol as well...would castrol edge full synth 5w30 be a good oil for CX9? Btw, our scheduled maintenance here in Cda is the sched2 and not 1....

When I purchased my GT AWD CX9 in june 2016 I setup the oil change reminder to 5000 km. Now in a long trip I reach 5500 km and get the oil change alert. How I can remove it? According to this post (and to the dealer), the oil change needs to be done at 10,000 km. I expect to reach such numbers in about 5 or 6 months.

I cannot delete the message! (gah)

Thank you for the wonderful insights! I normally use castrol edge full synthetic on my volvo for 7yrs and no issues. Mazda recommends castrol as well...would castrol edge full synth 5w30 be a good oil for CX9? Btw, our scheduled maintenance here in Cda is the sched2 and not 1....
Yeah for some reason Mazda doesn't allow Canadian to use excellent oil life monitor to maximize the oil life and reduce the oil waste. Molybdenum is added for better lubrication and now also been proven to reduce LSPI. IMHO I'd use any 5W-30 full synthetic oil with high molybdenum content. Unfortunately many oil companies don't mention it and we can only rely on UOA to find out most of them. Red Line oil has been known with high molybdenum content and there're some others:

The most oil with most moly in it? 0w20 and 0/5w30

Maintenance Monitor

When I purchased my GT AWD CX9 in june 2016 I setup the oil change reminder to 5000 km. Now in a long trip I reach 5500 km and get the oil change alert. How I can remove it? According to this post (and to the dealer), the oil change needs to be done at 10,000 km. I expect to reach such numbers in about 5 or 6 months.

I cannot delete the message! (gah)
As I mentioned earlier, you should use Schedule 1 Engine Oil Flexible Maintenance Interval by turn on your oil life monitor. The "Flexible" OCI calculates the oil life and display the "Oil change due" message when the oil change is due. For CX-9 the maximum Flexible OCI can be up to 12 months or 7,500 miles. You can change your oil earlier before your oil life dropped to very low percentage if you feel like it, just remember to reset it with "Flexible" via Maintenance Monitor (ignition on、don't start the engine) to make the oil life monitor in sync with fresh oil after you changed the oil. Once you did the reset, the warning message for maintenance will be gone.

As I mentioned earlier, you should use Schedule 1 Engine Oil Flexible Maintenance Interval by turn on your oil life monitor. The "Flexible" OCI calculates the oil life and display the "Oil change due" message when the oil change is due. For CX-9 the maximum Flexible OCI can be up to 12 months or 7,500 miles. You can change your oil earlier before your oil life dropped to very low percentage if you feel like it, just remember to reset it with "Flexible" via Maintenance Monitor (ignition on、don't start the engine) to make the oil life monitor in sync with fresh oil after you changed the oil. Once you did the reset, the warning message for maintenance will be gone.
I still have the change oil message in my display. Very annoying!.

Enviado desde mi Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

I still have the change oil message in my display. Very annoying!.

Any idea about how to remove the oil change message from the display. This is crazy!

Any idea about how to remove the oil change message from the display. This is crazy!

I just read in the manual that "flexible setting" is only for the US and Puerto Rico. Seeing that you're in Mexico your only options are "fixed setting" or "off setting below". Have you tried this reset method?

32122733951_82748b2dc3_c.jpg

As far as the flex oil change maintenance schedule, does that matter if you use synthetic or standard oil? Does it read when an oil change is due the same regardless of which oil is used? Thanks

As far as the flex oil change maintenance schedule, does that matter if you use synthetic or standard oil? Does it read when an oil change is due the same regardless of which oil is used? Thanks

No it doesn't matter...it tracks when your next maintenance oil change is due but not the type of oil used.

Maintenance Monitor

No it doesn't matter...it tracks when your next maintenance oil change is due but not the type of oil used.
The onboard computer in Mazda vehicles calculates the remaining oil life based on engine operating conditions when selecting flexible maintenance. Mazda recommended oil such as Mazda moly oil or Castrol oil is required to achieve optimum calculation performance. Yeah the oil type won't change the oil change due date. So the best synthetic oil is recommended for flexible maintenance on oil change especially for a turbo engine. Never use conventional oil in a turbo engine due to the very high temperature generated. The class action lawsuit on oil sludge issue against VW 1.8T turbo were mostly caused by using conventional oil!

The onboard computer in Mazda vehicles calculates the remaining oil life based on engine operating conditions when selecting flexible maintenance. Mazda recommended oil such as Mazda moly oil or Castrol oil is required to achieve optimum calculation performance. Yeah the oil type won't change the oil change due date. So the best synthetic oil is recommended for flexible maintenance on oil change especially for a turbo engine. Never use conventional oil in a turbo engine due to the very high temperature generated. The class action lawsuit on oil sludge issue against VW 1.8T turbo were mostly caused by using conventional oil!
I have the oil change warning message only after 5000 km. How I can remove it?

I call the seller and they told me the first oil change is scheduled do be done at 10, 000 km.

Maintenance Monitor

I have the oil change warning message only after 5000 km. How I can remove it?
I call the seller and they told me the first oil change is scheduled do be done at 10, 000 km.
Do you have a "Reset" option in Oil Change catagory under Maintenance Monitor from infotainment screen? Have you tried pressing the dash light adjustment stick method mentioned in post #14 by ManUtd?

The Oil Change part of Maintenance Monitor App on new CX-9 is a little different from CX-5. I got feeling that Mazda rushed this change from CX-5's which is based on, and it seems like an incomplete job and it's even showed in the owner's manual.

Back