What have you done to your CX-5 today?

I installed new 3.5" Kicker 43DSC3504 speakers in the dash of my '16 Touring, 6-speaker, NON-BOSE, w/o NAV, audio equipped car.

See my post in the Infotainment area if interested

Never fails.

ugh, hate construction site road debris. I was cycling to work in the bike lane near my house one morning, on my road bike with 25mm wide tires, near a new home subdivision construction area. Hit a couple rocks and had instant flats on BOTH tires. I was less than a mile from the house but had to make the walk of shame all the way back to grab my other bike.

Both driver side tires had a nail/screw removed. Repaired and rotated for free at Discount Tires.
2 weeks ago wife called and said some warning light is on. She sent the picture and it's TPMS. Instructed her to do the reset, but the light was back on again within a couple of days. I sent her to Discount Tire Store near our house checking the tire pressure. Yep, the RR was low at 30 psi and she saw a nail. Discount Tire fixed it for free even though the tires are still OEM.

2 days later wife said the TPMS is on again. Sent her to the same DT and now it's RR tire again?! The tech told her last time the flat tire they fixed was the RF, not RR? But wife insisted she saw a nail at RR and tire pressure at RR was low too. Anyway DT fixed the RR for free and I believe she got nails at both RF and RR at the time, and the tech only saw the nail at RF and fixed it.

Last Thursday she got TPMS light again on the way to work and she asked me why. I sent her to DT near her work checking the tire pressure. This time it's the LF which got a nail! She aired up the tire and got fixed after work at the DT who did previous 2 fixes.

At least now I'm pretty confident that this cheaper TPMS system on gen-1 CX-5 is very reliable to detect tire leaks. It seems to be possible we'd get multiple flats or consecutive flat within days. And one time before she got 5 nails at LR tire on our BMW!

Kudos to Discount Tire Store who did all flat repairs for free although the tires were not purchased from them, they're OE Toyo's.

Our 35K-mile CX-5 got only one flat before this rash of flats! Now every OE tire has a patch on it. And no, there's no road construction or home construction on her way to work. ;)

I've found the gen 1 TPMS system to be very reliable on that front. It's detected everytime I've had a nail or screw in a tire.

I love having a TPMS without needing sensors in the wheels. Less for me to worry about having to maintain or replace. I just have to remember to do the reset procedure immediately after adjusting the tire pressure.

I love having a TPMS without needing sensors in the wheels. Less for me to worry about having to maintain or replace. I just have to remember to do the reset procedure immediately after adjusting the tire pressure.

I would have to agree. Both our Mazdas only have the simpler version that do not have a TPMS sensor in each wheel. The only downside is not knowing real time PSI but not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things if you check pressure on regular basis. I check our tires every 3-4 months or so and top off as needed with a tire inflator.

I remind my wife that once the TPMS indicator light goes off to let me know right away. I would immediately schedule an appointment next day on DT's website as early as I can get. Having an appointment scheduled has its benefits especially upon store opening. Once had a line of 10 people waiting for store to open and the worker asked for people with appointments to come up first. The night before I would locate the nail/screw and use my kid's play chalk to mark locations.

made a temporary repair (that might just wind up being permanent) to broken rear reflector light caused by little fender bender
black Velcro along the top lip of the reflector and inside edge of the bumper guard, secured overall by 4 strips of black gorilla tape from the back
seems pretty sturdy to me
we'll see...

Washed it with Optimum No Rinse. Looks great, but now I feel like I have a polymer coating on my head even after a shower!
Found a few new chips, too. (mad)

Finally clean
a6964b46c616ec3dbc3939b5b71de79d.jpg

My CX-5 is finally in the body shop to get fixed from that hit and run back in February.

I'm a little upset about the rental car I was given though. Some piece of s*** Nissan Altima with a bad CVT. I tried getting out of it when I got to work and I sounded like an old man. Too low to the ground for my long ass legs. I wonder what the insurance allowed and if I called them up if they'd be willing to switch out the rental since the shop will have my CX-5 all week. Honestly thought they'd set me up with something comparable in size to my CX-5, but guess that's on me for not checking.

Last edited:
My CX-5 is finally in the body shop to get fixed from that hit and run back in February.

I'm a little upset about the rental car I was given though. Some piece of s*** Nissan Altima with a bad CVT.

Judge: I hear by sentence you to one 1 week driving in a CVT.
CD: Noooooooo!!!!!!!

disconnect a vacuum line or something to trigger a CEL.
then call and tell them the car is running super rough and "you don't feel safe in it"

rental upgrade incoming!
or you can serve your sentence like CX=5um said.

then call and tell them the car is running super rough and "you don't feel safe in it"

rental upgrade incoming!

Brilliant! You can do it, CD.

I rented an Altima with the CVT a couple of years ago, and it was pretty sad. It was, however, at least as quick as a NA CX-5. Damning with faint praise.

rental upgrade incoming!
I like this idea ;)

I'm a little upset about the rental car I was given though. Some piece of s*** Nissan Altima with a bad CVT. I tried getting out of it when I got to work and I sounded like an old man. Too low to the ground for my long ass legs. I wonder what the insurance allowed and if I called them up if they'd be willing to switch out the rental since the shop will have my CX-5 all week. Honestly thought they'd set me up with something comparable in size to my CX-5, but guess that's on me for the checking.
Well, at least the gas mileage should impress you from this Altima!

rental upgrade incoming!

You're hired!!!

Back