2016 CX-5 Touring driver's seat rocks slightly

I went to the dealer about the seat rock issue. The tech took the car in, 15 minutes later the service writer tells me "You're all set, we tightened it up for ya, its normal for it to rock." I was a little bit confused as to what they tightened and how this is normal, I didn't have time that day to argue with the dealer but I will definitely be going back to complain. My passenger seat rocks slightly but not as much as the drivers side, I feel as if the drivers side is getting worse by the day.

Yeah that's a bulls*** answer and I would have asked for the manager or owner on the spot.

File a complaint with Mazda now IMO as a consumer that spent 32k, the driver seat should not have movement.

It is, and I have dealt with dealerships on numerous occassions, but that day I had a lot to do and didn't have the time to deal with them. I didn't even expect them to take my car in the same day. I've already went back to them a week after purchasing the car because I noticed dents in the pillars and argued with them to not drill holes to pull them out. They ended up complying but I am sure I left a bad impression. I am going to visit another dealership and if that doesn't work out I will be contacting Mazda. This is my 3rd new car since 2012 and neither of the previous vehicles had seats that rocked. One had a squeaky seat but the dealer took care of that no problem.

Took my 16 cx5 touring in for the rockingchair problem 10 days ago. They agreed it rocked and said 'we checked others on the lot. Some of em did - some of em didn't.' My response was that I want one that doesn't - lets fix it.

Despite confirming it rocks - here's the feedback over the last week:
- its manufacturing tolerances
- they didnt find a tsb for it
- they opened a case and havent heard back from mazda tech supt
- 'its the lower seat assembly which is like a $1000 part. I cant replace that without approval'

I told them the customer is requesting it be fixed. Now the service manager wont call back or return calls. I really didnt want to tattle to Mazda but it looks like I have no choice.

Both the dealership and Mazda didn't want to acknowledge this thread. If anyone who got it fixed would be willing to provide the name/location of their dealership it would be very helpful. That is the info they want.

Ludicrous I know... I wonder if they send rocking seats to NHTSA?

Does anyone else's driver's seat do it? Normally, I can feel the slight rock in slow, stop-and-go traffic when coming to a complete stop. Entire seat rocks slightly. I can also get it to rock just by rocking in it. Feels like the mounting somewhere is a bit loose. Brought it to the dealer; dealer said they tightened it a bit and aligned. It's still the same. Doesn't seem that the tracks bolting it to the floor are the problem. I ran it through all the power settings and it still rocks. Is this normal for the power seat mechanism?

That's annoying. My Z06 did that. Almost all C6 Corvette's did that. I have not noticed it in any other vehicle I have owned, though, including my CX-5. It doesn't really matter...but then again...yes it does, because it's annoying.

Took my 16 cx5 touring in for the rockingchair problem 10 days ago. They agreed it rocked and said 'we checked others on the lot. Some of em did - some of em didn't.' My response was that I want one that doesn't - lets fix it.

- 'its the lower seat assembly which is like a $1000 part. I cant replace that without approval'

I told them the customer is requesting it be fixed. Now the service manager wont call back or return calls. I really didnt want to tattle to Mazda but it looks like I have no choice.

Both the dealership and Mazda didn't want to acknowledge this thread. If anyone who got it fixed would be willing to provide the name/location of their dealership it would be very helpful. That is the info they want.

No, they don't, or the C6 corvette would have been deadlined, lol.

Honestly, you have a 100% functional vehicle with an annoying quirk that they are not obligated to fix. I'd like to say "suck it up", but I know how that issue would nag at me, so I just don't have an answer other than contact Mazda, tell them what's going on, and see if THEY will intervene. When I had brake issues with my 370Z, NNA intervened and it was fixed on their dime.

You can check back later in this thread to see the date my driver seat was corrected. The dealership I purchased and had the rails replaced is Northtowne Mazda in KC. MO.

hello,

I have the same problem, bring it to the dealer and they told me its manufacturing tolerance, and Mazda Canada refuse to replace it.

However, the Service advisor honestly told me to contact Mazda Canada and get it replaced,

Looking for a good dealership here in Vancouver as I am new here.

After a few months my '16 GT seat also started rocking. Dropped it off last night for an oil change and to have it checked. Received a message this morning that they're ordering new rails for it. I probably won't get it in for a few weeks but I'll try to remember to come back and update this with the results. I really hate having my (reasonably) new vehicle being disassembled for any reason.

Just to add a data point-- I had my seat rails replaced at about 3 months. I'm approaching two years of ownership and the problem has never returned, so pretty clearly a defective part and not a defective design. I'm a pretty big guy, so if there was some way the rails just bent under use and got sloppy I think I would have known about it by now.

My dealer dismissed it and sent me on my way. Needless to say, they aren't getting my business in the future. Without a service bulletin it was obvious they don't invest any effort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 2016 has a rocking seat issue, same as a lot of people,
The service guy at the dealership said they tried other cars on the lot and they found the same problem and theres nothing they can do,
I am sending a stinking email to dealer and Mazda

My 2016 has a rocking seat issue, same as a lot of people,
The service guy at the dealership said they tried other cars on the lot and they found the same problem and theres nothing they can do,
I am sending a stinking email to dealer and Mazda

I notice you are from Vancouver too, I can say you need the right dealership to work with,

I went to Signature Mazda in Richmond beforehand and they just dismissed my concern right away with the same reason they told you, and never bother to pursue further.

then I went to Destination Mazda on Boundary and get it replaced under warranty and they are very helpful.

I notice you are from Vancouver too, I can say you need the right dealership to work with,

I went to Signature Mazda in Richmond beforehand and they just dismissed my concern right away with the same reason they told you, and never bother to pursue further.

then I went to Destination Mazda on Boundary and get it replaced under warranty and they are very helpful.

Many thanks i will try them next

My wife's is still rocking. Of course, it's a 2013 and is 4.5 years old now...
I'll just put up with it for a couple or three more years until I upgrade her vehicle.

Have to say, Mazdas are full of these little annoying anomalies. That said, they've been mostly reliable for me. My 2015 3 has annoying little quirks like this. Think I'll try a different make next time...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This is an old thread, but I wanted to update with what I found after taking my drivers seat out and looking at how it is put together as this thread seems to have the most comprehensive info on the issue.

I just bought a 2013 CX-5 GT and after getting home I noticed the seat rocks. It rocks side to side as well is 'up and down'. Front to back is fine.
I took the seat out of the car expecting to find a loose bolt, but it turns out to just be supported by large rivets that are used as pivot pins for the motized seat. This one pictured below in particular is the culprit for side to side movement (there is a sister rivet on the other side).

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/de...7-4dbb-ac10-49302a19e7e8_zpspphfhqsq.jpg.html

This is the other side of it:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...2-c320-43a6-be15-0fef38d5d267_zpsd75fhp92.jpg

This rivet is meant to allow motion in one direction (rotation around the pin). What happens is either the rivet is not pressed tight enough from the factory, or it is stressed out in some way in the side to side / twisting direction and once that happens it will never return to being tight (ie only moving along one axis again). I can literally 'twist' this joint and move the seat rail with my pinky when the seat is out of the car.

After seeing this it's no mystery that many of the seats have this problem and the fix is to replace the entire seat base sub frame. One could technically drill the rivet out and use a large nut+bolt with a split and a flat washer on each side to solve this problem (ie same setup as the lower seatbelt anchor found on many cars). So far I am not desperate enough to do so, but if I hear of any crash reports where the seat failed, I will do it.

Last edited:
I actually just got the car back from the dealership for this issue. They replaced the rails and now it's not moving anymore. Allvgood.

Back