US Diesel's big splash introduction

Actually I don't think Mazda will put the 2.5T engine in the CX-5 unless they can get better fuel economy out of it. It is expected to do 23 city, 31 highway mpg on the upcoming Mazda6. So it will do worse than that on a CX-5 and I don't see Mazda wanting to go lower than 23 city mpg for a CX-5. This is where the diesel engine would have been really helpful, lots of low end torque but better fuel efficiency.

It's no so much about fuel economy if they drop it in. It's more to compete with the top spec turbo variants of the VW Tiguan, Hyundai Tucson, bottom end Audi's etc.

Last edited:
Actually I don't think Mazda will put the 2.5T engine in the CX-5 unless they can get better fuel economy out of it. It is expected to do 23 city, 31 highway mpg on the upcoming Mazda6. So it will do worse than that on a CX-5 and I don't see Mazda wanting to go lower than 23 city mpg for a CX-5. This is where the diesel engine would have been really helpful, lots of low end torque but better fuel efficiency.

All Mazda NA really cares about is being 1st. in the brand list having most fuel efficient line-up among other brands here in US - i.e. basically with just ONE real/selling car: CX-5. Not sure but probably - combined CX-3 + Mazda 6 + Mazda 3 + CX-9 + Miata = CX-5 sales.

I don’t think Mazda will spend the money to put the 2.5t into the CX5 unless the SkyActiv-X engine falters.

How much more would they have to spend (uhm). Dave Coleman has already said it fits....

Anyway I guess their priorities are diesel for USA, cylinder deactivation until SkyActiv-X arrives

I actually don’t know but if it did make sense just for a couple of years then they would do it. Another idea would be to make the 2.5t standard for the top trim level.

From what I have read, the 2.5T isn't going anywhere after the SkyActiv-X comes online.

As for top spec trim, Mazda 6 Signature (Atenza here) is just that. They might do this later on in it's life circa 2020 onwards.

From what I have read, the 2.5T isn't going anywhere after the SkyActiv-X comes online.

As for top spec trim, Mazda 6 Signature (Atenza here) is just that. They might do this later on in it's life circa 2020 onwards.

I agree. The 2.5T was developed specifically for the cx9 to get rid of the Ford V6. It is being put into the 6 to boost sales. Unfortunately, being a small company doesn’t give them the resources to develop a engine quickly and they have their timeline which they are bound to.

How much more would they have to spend (uhm). Dave Coleman has already said it fits....

Yeah, but Dave Coleman says a lot of things.

If the 2.5T + AWD combination doesn't fit in the 6 platform, I'm not optimistic it would fit in the 3/CX-5 platform. Besides, if it is an easy fit, they were fools not to introduce it in the 2017 refresh.

Yes I know it's not going to debut on the CX-5, it will be on the 3.

SkyActiv-X should reach the CX-5 circa 2020-2022 and it's possible that just before this, they drop the 2.5T into the CX-5 as they need to keep the current model competitive until SkyActiv-X/update/new model arrives circa 2020-2022

In the meantime, 2.2T Diesel could appear depending on Mazda NO HQ

Mazda doesn't understand drivetrains in the sense of most people. This is why they kill the MS3, the RX7 FD, and replace them with a joke, or nothing at all. I expect they will finally slog through getting a diesel here after everyone else does, and keep doing interior fluff and buff's and minor re-styles until they drop the SA-X (if it happens) into a new-body style CX5 in 2020-2022 as you state. In the mean time, you're stuck with 2.5L NA.

It's no so much about fuel economy if they drop it in. It's more to compete with the top spec turbo variants of the VW Tiguan, Hyundai Tucson, bottom end Audi's etc.

All Mazda NA really cares about is being 1st. in the brand list having most fuel efficient line-up among other brands here in US - i.e. basically with just ONE real/selling car: CX-5. Not sure but probably - combined CX-3 + Mazda 6 + Mazda 3 + CX-9 + Miata = CX-5 sales.
I understand them needing to compete, especially with their move to go "premium". I want them to drop the 2.5T engine into the CX-5. I just think they're obsessed with MPG at the moment that I think they will hesitate if the resulting fuel economy is not that good. But who knows, I'd like to be proven wrong.

If the 2.5T + AWD combination doesn't fit in the 6 platform, I'm not optimistic it would fit in the 3/CX-5 platform. Besides, if it is an easy fit, they were fools not to introduce it in the 2017 refresh.
It supposedly doesn't fit in the Mazda6 sedan. However the NTHSA crash test results list both a 2018 FWD and AWD Mazda6, so who knows.

I understand them needing to compete, especially with their move to go "premium". I want them to drop the 2.5T engine into the CX-5. I just think they're obsessed with MPG at the moment that I think they will hesitate if the resulting fuel economy is not that good. But who knows, I'd like to be proven wrong.

It supposedly doesn't fit in the Mazda6 sedan. However the NTHSA crash test results list both a 2018 FWD and AWD Mazda6, so who knows.

according to this, the AWD mention of the 6 has disappeared from the NTHSA website:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/02/wheel-drive-mazda6-prospects-looking-iffy/

Mazda doesn't understand drivetrains in the sense of most people. This is why they kill the MS3, the RX7 FD, and replace them with a joke, or nothing at all. I expect they will finally slog through getting a diesel here after everyone else does, and keep doing interior fluff and buff's and minor re-styles until they drop the SA-X (if it happens) into a new-body style CX5 in 2020-2022 as you state. In the mean time, you're stuck with 2.5L NA.

Who else is trying to bring a diesel here?

How can they be obsessed with economy when every update weighs more and does less MPG, along with reduced performance.?
Sounds more like there desperate to go upmarket, trouble is with upmarket cars the driving experienced is reduced IME.

Nothing wrong with naturally aspirated engines.

Just more [emoji476] on your part.

I agree they missed a golden opportunity

They got rid of the ms3 partly due to too much torque steer and poor fuel economy as I understand it. They would be stupid not to drop the SkyActiv X into the CX-5

They aren't as obsessed as before considering the the current one took a hit with the update last year

Back