US Diesel's big splash introduction

Over here we sometimes get models labelled the following year but in most cases in the majority of the year they carry that years date regardless if it was released in May or October

My 2014 has a Jan 2013 date on the door sticker and was bought April of 2013 ;)

Haha! In this case it was a new model year because it had the new 2.5L engine whereas the 2013's only had the 2.0L.

So history will repeat itself again for you guys when the diesel is released this year but it's called 2018!

My neighbour stopped me yesterday to tell me his turbo had failed on is 30K miles, 3 year old cx-5 diesel, failed while towing his caravan 5 hours from home, took 12 hours to get the car home with the caravan due to relays with breakdown trucks.

One month out of warranty, luckily Mazda picked up the claimed 4K bill, apparently the engine has to come out to change it.

Last edited:
My neighbour stopped me yesterday to tell me his turbo had failed on is 30K miles, 3 year old cx-5 diesel, failed while towing his caravan 5 hours from home, took 12 hours to get the car home with the caravan due to relays with breakdown trucks.

One month out of warranty, luckily Mazda picked up the claimed 4K bill, apparently the engine has to come out to change it.

Does your neighbour consistently tow things? May explain why turbo failed (uhm)

Why would towing destroy a turbo?

I have towed with 5 different turbo cars and as yet never had a turbo failure. But no he just tows occasionally for holidays.
He had full Mazda service record which is why they changed it FOC.

Why would towing destroy a turbo?

I have towed with 5 different turbo cars and as yet never had a turbo failure. But no he just tows occasionally for holidays.
He had full Mazda service record which is why they changed it FOC.

My thought was too much weight for it to handle on a regular basis (uhm)

At any rate, it's not what I had suggested so I guess it was just a failure of some sort

Turbo failures are most often caused by oil starvation or oil contamination.

Yep, I know Mazda still recommends 7500 miles on the 9, but there is no way I let my turbo cars go that long. They're the only cars I do at 3k.

Mazda, like most manufacturers, recommends more frequent oil changes when the vehicle is used under extreme conditions - such as extensive towing, or other hard driving.

I tow my boat which weighs in at 1200-1400kgs reasonably often with my CX5 Akera turbo diesel, and my practice is and will be to change oil every 5000kms instead of the normally recommended 10000kms.

It is just good insurance to take that kind of care.

Mazda, like most manufacturers, recommends more frequent oil changes when the vehicle is used under extreme conditions - such as extensive towing, or other hard driving.

I tow my boat which weighs in at 1200-1400kgs reasonably often with my CX5 Akera turbo diesel, and my practice is and will be to change oil every 5000kms instead of the normally recommended 10000kms.

It is just good insurance to take that kind of care.

Correct,and smart...

I have a co-worker that is waiting for it.
He loves diesel cars.

Besides, Mazda diesel engine is not really new anymore.
It is only new to the north America.
Other parts of the world have it for years.

In today's N.Y. Times business section:

As Europe Sours on Diesel, Germany Fights to Save It
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/...any-diesel-car-emissions.html?ref=todayspaper

BERLIN Britain and France want to end the sale of diesel cars. Madrid and Athens are banning them entirely. Automakers like Volvo are switching to electric engines.

In Germany, those developments have created something akin to a national emergency, threatening an industry that employs hundreds of thousands of people.

As others have increased investment in electric cars and pushed tougher rules threatening diesel, though, German auto executives and political leaders meeting in Berlin on Wednesday appeared determined to rescue the technology.

I had a dealer rep recently email me that the diesel into to US has been delayed, giving no new timeline. Has anyone heard anything definitive?

Back