Fit and finish

Bought a 2017. Everything looks good during PDI.. But noticed this when I got home... Is it normal? I was thinking if I can just pop it off, and refit it myself.

You can actually see the clips.

0538c5426f736c8468cb969bf8713e8e.jpg
Definitely a quality control issue. Go back to the dealer straight away and get them to fix it asap.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Bought a 2017. Everything looks good during PDI.. But noticed this when I got home... Is it normal? I was thinking if I can just pop it off, and refit it myself.

Poor quality control. You wouldn't see something like this on the CR-V.

How the hell does something like that get missed? Its front and center. Good grief. Not helping the "upmarket move" there Mazda.

Back to mine- the gaps seem to have closed a bit with the slightly warmer weather. Didn't realize the interior was so sensitive to changes in temperature.

Last edited:
How the hell does something like that get missed? Its front and center. Good grief. Not helping the "upmarket move" there Mazda.

Back to mine- the gaps seem to have closed a bit with the slightly warmer weather. Didn't realize the interior was so sensitive to changes in temperature.
I was a bit surprised myself. Hope they can pop it back in without issues.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

You could probably just do it yourself, but I'd take it back to the dealer just to show them. Maybe they'll toss you a cargo cover or some all-weather mats for the inconvenience.

Last edited:

IMO it's highly unlikely to be a QC/factory issue. My guess is when the dealer tried to remove the plastic covering that metal-wood panel they shifted it out of place, perhaps bits of plastic got trapped in the seam as usual.

IMO it's highly unlikely to be a QC/factory issue. My guess is when the dealer tried to remove the plastic covering that metal-wood panel they shifted it out of place, perhaps bits of plastic got trapped in the seam as usual.
That's what I'm worried about. I tried popping it off, but didn't get any give. Doesn't appear to be loose or anything. The fact that another member experienced the same might suggest or being a spec/design issue. Hope that's not the case. It's actually rather unsightly..

That's what I'm worried about. I tried popping it off, but didn't get any give. Doesn't appear to be loose or anything. The fact that another member experienced the same might suggest or being a spec/design issue. Hope that's not the case. It's actually rather unsightly..

More quality issue. If it was spec/design issue, more complaints would be occurring

Ha! You beat me to it. A little tongue-in-cheek, but mostly true.

Yeah, the plastic on the dash of my 16.5 has had the adhesive pop up since week 2 of ownership and I periodically have to push it back in with a credit card of some sort.

Yes, I'm sure all CR-V's are delivered without quality issues.

I'm not going to participate in a CX vs CRV pissing contest, I'm not here for that ... but I have to ask you how many new Hondas you've owned. I'm at 5.

The '17 CX5 has received great early reviews, and I'd bet the factories are running at 110%, which simply has to result is some small level of QC degradation.

I'm not going to participate in a CX vs CRV pissing contest, I'm not here for that ... but I have to ask you how many new Hondas you've owned. I'm at 5.

I'm at 5 too, and probably will add the Type R to the stable when it arrives, but my ownership and loyalty (somewhat) to Hondas couldn't keep me from buying the CX-5...

Here's a pic of my trim gap

pictures seems like it was taken from a weird angle that no one would ever see from a sitting position from the passenger seat

(up close / odd angle bird's eye view) and an oversight on Mazda's part.....

do you still see the gap when you're sitting in the passenger seat sitting at a normal natural position ?

if so, then should have dealer look at it and fix.....

just a suggestion, maybe turn up the heat to too highest setting and try to soften the plastic panels

and try to fix yourself and see if they pop in correctly ?

pictures seems like it was taken from a weird angle that no one would ever see from a sitting position from the passenger seat

(up close / odd angle bird's eye view) and an oversight on Mazda's part.....

Weird angle appears to be about the same view as the driver would have at it, and considering the driver is probably the new owner, I think it's cause for concern as well...

Weird angle appears to be about the same view as the driver would have at it, and considering the driver is probably the new owner, I think it's cause for concern as well...

Yes exactly, it's visible as in the pic from the driver's side. Will be seeing the dealer soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back