2016 CX-5 Oil Change Frequency

Got my oil changed and within 2 weeks I was getting a small oil leak from the drain plug.

Apparently there was a hole in the drain plug and it needed replacing. The mechanic said he has seen it a few tin mes already this year.

On Mazda CX-5's? or in general?

Finally sent my sample off yesterday so will post results in weeks ahead.

Hey lets start a thread on nothing but oil analysis? what oil are you using? If you are using the Mazda Moly that would be perfect. I am planning on using Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum with Liqui Moly MoS2 and OEM filter. It would be interesting to compare...

This is very strange that a thick and solid piece of metal, the drain plug, will develop a hole in it. I'd be inclined to believe whoever changed the oil for you didn't use a new drain plug crush washer. This is more common cause with small leak around the drain plug.

That is what I thought when I first inspected the leak. I provided the oil, filter, and washer from ordering the complete kit online. Guessing whoever changed the oil didn't see the replacement washer or that there was one on the drain plug. People who run the shop are friends of my wife and she has been using them off and on for a while so she trusts them.

On Mazda CX-5's? or in general?

Not sure if he meant Mazda or vehicles in general.

Unfortunately I wasn't there to ask questions as I had to leave the state for work and my wife took it in. Information was just relayed through her. Would have asked for the drain plug back for inspection.

Hey lets start a thread on nothing but oil analysis? what oil are you using? If you are using the Mazda Moly that would be perfect. I am planning on using Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum with Liqui Moly MoS2 and OEM filter. It would be interesting to compare...

Yep.. mine will be an engine that has just used Moly. Current mileage in signature...

Got my oil changed and within 2 weeks I was getting a small oil leak from the drain plug.

Apparently there was a hole in the drain plug and it needed replacing. The mechanic said he has seen it a few times already this year.

I never heard of a threaded drain plug bolt having a hole in it. It's a thick beefy metal bolt.

What can leak is the washer and washer surface area or the threads being bad in the oil pan or plug threads. The bolt itself is like a 1/2 thick piece of metal. I don't see how there could be a hole in it.

Yeah... it's actually the oil pan that is replaced with the TSB.

"Seating surface of the oil pan for the drain plug may have poor flatness due to improper spot welding and/or the surface may have gotten a scratch during manufacturing process."

I never heard of a threaded drain plug bolt having a hole in it. It's a thick beefy metal bolt.

What can leak is the washer and washer surface area or the threads being bad in the oil pan or plug threads. The bolt itself is like a 1/2 thick piece of metal. I don't see how there could be a hole in it.

I agree. Pretty sure they didn't replace the old crush washer with the new one I gave them and they are covering. Like I said, my wife was the one who took it in so I wasn't there to ask questions.

Hi guys, I know this might be a silly question but any clarification would be helpful.

I thought I had read somewhere that in order to comply with the warranty, you need to have your oil changes done by s dealer. Is this true, or can I do the oil changes and tire rotations myself without issue?

I'd definitely prefer to do these myself to save both money and time.

Hi guys, I know this might be a silly question but any clarification would be helpful.

I thought I had read somewhere that in order to comply with the warranty, you need to have your oil changes done by s dealer. Is this true, or can I do the oil changes and tire rotations myself without issue?

Yes, you can! Just save the purchasing receipts for oil、drain plug washer、and filter, and record the date and mileage when you did it for the record. Many DIY'ers including me are doing this way! :)

And don't forget to turn on oil life monitor for Flexible Maintenance Schedule on oil change for your 2016 CX-5.

Yes, you can! Just save the purchasing receipts for oil、drain plug washer、and filter, and record the date and mileage when you did it for the record. Many DIY'ers including me are doing this way! :)

And don't forget to turn on oil life monitor for Flexible Maintenance Schedule on oil change for your 2016 CX-5.

Thanks yrwei52 for the clarification! In doing these maintenance yourself, is it straightforward to reset the service reminders?

Thanks yrwei52 for the clarification! In doing these maintenance yourself, is it straightforward to reset the service reminders?
It's easy to reset Maintenance Monitor on CX-5. From you home screen of Infotainment screen and select Applications and then Maintenance to access Maintenance Monitor to reset MaintenanceTire Rotation、or Oil Change. See Maintenance Monitor Type B on page 6-20 of you Owner'a Manual for more details.

Into my second week of owning the 2016 CX-5 GT. I have a few questions regarding the oil change frequency based off miles and duration. When I purchased the car the salesman said he'd recommend changing the oil every 5k or 4 months. When I talked to the sales manager he said to do 7.5k or 6 months, so not entirely sure what the consensus is on frequency.

I took a look at the manual and it says to follow schedule 1 if the car is mainly operated where none of the conditions they list apply. Well, some of these do apply, but not the majority:

*Driving in salt (winter months on occasion)
*Driving in cold or hot temps and extremely humid climates (it does get cold, humid and hot, but not sure that's considered extreme ?)
*Repeated short-distances (work from home 4 days a week, so on the days I do drive it's usually just around town and not a lot of freeway)

So would this warrant a Schedule 1 or Schedule 2? I'm thinking 1 since most of the severe driving conditions do not apply.

And also, if I go 4 or 6 months (depending on which Schedule I am tied to) and have only accumulated, let's say 2k miles, is it still necessary to change out the oil? On my RX8 I had for 11 years, I'd often go 8 months before I'd hit the 3k mile mark to change out oil. Not sure if the months matter that much and if it's just something for the dealership and/or Mazda to collect a few more bucks.

Mazda Canada told me to bring my CX-5 within the 8000 like the manual says or the 4 month date which ever comes first when practically able.

I've had oil changes done at dealership while under warranty to eliminate hassles with warranty issues. Then DIY after warranty period.

I went to pick up the oil it said like 0W-20, and for all of it the price tag came to almost $75!! Where is there a cheaper place to get oil besides Auto Zone?

Also when I went to change the oil the Alan Key I needed was so big I didn't have it. Does anyone have the exact specs?

I went to pick up the oil it said like 0W-20, and for all of it the price tag came to almost $75!! Where is there a cheaper place to get oil besides Auto Zone?

Also when I went to change the oil the Alan Key I needed was so big I didn't have it. Does anyone have the exact specs?

8mm Hex allen key (see video)

I recommend just getting the whole kit from our forum sponsor Med Center Mazda, they supply the 5 qt. Skyactiv moly oil (the same oil they put in new CX-5's (I figure it's optimized for max mpg with the extra moly in it), new filter, and new crush washer

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-oil-filter-moly-oil.html

Last edited:

So for the oil change kit from Auto Zone which came up for 75 bucks? You should get this whole Mazda genuine oil change kit for much less, $44.55, from our sponsor:

Mazda SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY Oil Filter, Drain Plug Washer and 5 Quarts of Mazda 0w20 Moly Oil

The drain plug uses 8mm Allen hex head. I have a Craftsman ⅜" drive 8mm hex socket and you can get a whole metric set cheap at Harbor Freight Tools.

You should also read this "How-To" before you do your first oil change on your CX-5:

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

I bet that same 0w20 oil you found for $75 is like $25 at Wal-Mart.

Back