JDM FS-DE question

:
2002 Protegé5
Hey guys, my car had a JDM FS-DE swapped in by the PO, and apparently that means it has a different intake cam and higher compression (9.7:1). At that compression, should I be running 87, 89, or 91 octane fuel with a stock USDM FS-DE ECU? Also, my knowledge of cams is limited, so if anyone can explain the differences and pros/cons between the JDM and USDM intake cams, that would be awesome

Uhm someone correct me if I'm wrong but it's pretty much the same as the usdm fs-de. The only different engine is the FS-ZE engine and needs the sensors swapped over to make it run but doesn't effect anything, except needs the MP3 ECU to run it.
So if your looking for some kind of unknown answer to me your most likely running a stock engine with minimal changes. I always run 89 or 91 octane just because. I feel like I get better mpg with a stock car at 89 but thats just me.

I believe the JDM FSDE is different to the US FSDE. Different cams and higher compression.

Here in Australia we have the "JDM FSDE" standard in the 323 SP20 (98kW @ 6000rpm / 174Nm @ 4500rpm / 9.7:1 compression), and it requires 95 octane.

Last edited:
I believe the JDM FSDE is different to the US FSDE. Different cams and higher compression.

Here in Australia we have the "JDM FSDE" standard in the 323 SP20 (98kW @ 6000rpm / 174Nm @ 4500rpm / 9.7:1 compression), and it requires 95 octane.
95 octane!? jeez. I can't get higher than 91 in California, but I'll bet the ignition timing is set differently on the US ECU

95 octane!? jeez. I can't get higher than 91 in California, but I'll bet the ignition timing is set differently on the US ECU

That user is from Australia where they dont measure fuel with octane. I dont know exactly how to do the maths but its not actually 95.

I read that the rating we use in the US is called AKI vs Australia where they use a RON rating.

So in the end a RON rating of 98 is real close to a AKI rating of 93 in the US. I would only assume that a 95 would be 91.

Last edited:
But I want to know most likely as the OP, is the fsde engine different in jdm than usdm?
I thought that's why the had the fsze... I know some engines differ like the 1.8L 626 etc etc but how different are they?

It would seem the FS-DE had 9.7:1 compression and a different intake cam outside of North American markets

I thought they got the FSZE or FP engines in other countries.

Last edited:
No the FS-DE exists in most markets it appears. But strangely, there is not much to suggest the -DE was sold in Japan, though my engine was imported from there...

I swapped one into my 03 P5 about 2 years ago that I got from JDM Place Houston. Thought it was a -ZE at first because it had the intake manifold with the resonance
chamber on it, but when I pulled the valve cover to check the cams I found that they were FS1G castings, not FSH9. Best guess is that it came from an MPV because
those are "torque" cams in Japan. After swapping my original USDM P5 cams into it, replacing the timing belt/gaskets/seals and swapping all my original sensors and
harmonic balancer onto it, I installed it into my car. Kept the JDM intake manifold and rerouted the vacuum lines so it thinks the VTCS is still there (not used in JDM),
it runs like a charm. Shortly afterwards I installed an MP3 ECU and now it pulls even harder at high RPM.

Last edited:
Back