Candy Apple Red

Candy Brandy Wine
5a2211fe03d8fe392263d921392f6e3c.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Congrats on your new ride! My dad is a little older than you and every car he has ever owned has been a beautiful red hue.

Thanks 7eregrine, that is a good example. The hot-rod and custom bike crowd know their candy paint. There are all sorts of candy colors, such as House of Kolor's offerings:

house-of-kolor-intensifiers-kandy-koncentrate-kk-series-17.jpg

We got a 2016 in April and I fell in love with that red, too. Love that car, she's a Grand Touring and is an incredible roadtrip car.

Thanks for the warm welcome! The CX-5 is impressive in almost any color, but it's no accident that Mazda, in its glossies and websites and so on, puffs the red. An unforgettable color. Don't know about you, but red strikes me as a hard color to get just right. Think of the problem any gardener has in combining red flowers with other colors...

My second place choice was the Eternal Blue, but my wife ho-hummed me out of that idea.

Generally I scorn the unimaginative and imitative color choices offered these days by most companies. Believe it or not, I almost considered a Chevy Spark just because of a beautiful lemon cream color they had. The Honda CRV "parallel" to the Mazda red is Crimson Lava if I recall. It is unpleasantly suffused with orange. Their Red Basque Pearl is ok but dwindles into darkness next to candy apple red.

I'm hoping to learn from all of you.

Well, we are all about the unimaginative colors because our CX-5 is Sonic Silver, our Audi A4 is Ibis White and the Accord I leased for my cousin is Modern Steel (gray), but I can certainly appreciate how beautiful the Soul Red Crystal is. We just like to fly under the radar. Different strokes for different folks!

Also, welcome to the forum. I have only been here for a few months since we got our CX-5 and have learned a lot. Great input here.

My suggestion of the red one for my daughter did not fly.
Originally she was looking for the dark gray, then to the silver.
Finally she decide for a black one. Picking it up tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dazzling but ...

Candy Brandy Wine
5a2211fe03d8fe392263d921392f6e3c.jpg

Hmm, a beautiful color indeed, but that car looks like some kind of interstellar giant insect bloated with eggs. I suppose custom car shows might resemble shining flex muscled champion shows or dog shows or even Jon Benet Ramsey kid's beauty pageants: all of them on the edge of the grotesque.

The black one will look dramatic and classy, no doubt. I was wishing the dealer had one to inspect, but they did not.

Traded the '15 M3 for a '17 '5 - it's a better red. ;)

I never cared for that 'saquir orange,' perhaps one day BMW will have a proper red for their coupes. Right now the only option for that is to spend $5K for it under the individual program, and then you have to wait weeks or months for it to make it into the production schedule...

But to stay on topic, YES! Soul Red II looks better than previous.

Well, we are all about the unimaginative colors because our CX-5 is Sonic Silver, our Audi A4 is Ibis White and the Accord I leased for my cousin is Modern Steel (gray), but I can certainly appreciate how beautiful the Soul Red Crystal is. We just like to fly under the radar. Different strokes for different folks!

Also, welcome to the forum. I have only been here for a few months since we got our CX-5 and have learned a lot. Great input here.

Funny you should say that. My '16 CX-5 is Sonic Silver, my wife's Odyssey is Alabaster Silver, and my old beater Escape is Dark Shadow Grey.
I admire the show car paint for the depth and color, but my personal tastes are much more bland. I think the neutral colors age better too (stay in style), if one keeps the vehicle for a long period.

Owner of a black one here - she'll love the color, but tell her to be prepared to spend a lot of time and effort keeping it clean! And a drive-through car wash won't cut it, doesn't touch all the curvy parts........

And that show car is just gorgeous! I'd take a CX-5 in that color in a heartbeat. And no, the current red doesn't do it.

Owner of a black one here - she'll love the color, but tell her to be prepared to spend a lot of time and effort keeping it clean! And a drive-through car wash won't cut it, doesn't touch all the curvy parts........

And that show car is just gorgeous! I'd take a CX-5 in that color in a heartbeat. And no, the current red doesn't do it.

That and swirl marks are much more noticeable. I need to do something about mine one of these days.

Black? Just know that you will be forever a slave to the maintenance of said color. Or just drive it dirty. :)

Imo, that's a little overplayed. It's not that much different. I've owned everything but blue and they're all a pain in the ass to keep spotless unless you live somewhere that has no precipitation. I think whites the worst actually. Sure, when it's undisturbed it doesn't look as bad but DON'T TOUCH IT. As soon as the dust gets wiped anywhere it's glaringly obvious. LOL

Last edited:
Imo, that's a little overplayed. It's not that much different. I've owned everything but blue and they're all a pain in the ass to keep spotless unless you live somewhere that has no precipitation. I think whites the worst actually. Sure, when it's disturbed it doesn't look as bad but DON'T TOUCH IT. As soon as the dust gets wiped anywhere it's glaringly obvious. LOL

Actually this is true. From afar can't tell my car is dusty at the moment until I wipe it LOL.

Road grime around here turns almost solid when it dries, and it's a dull white-ish gray that really stands out on everything but............. well, gray.

Black? Just know that you will be forever a slave to the maintenance of said color. Or just drive it dirty. :)

Hi @Browneye, I agree with you 110 %.
Taking care of dark color vehicles is a PITA. My previous vehicle was gold and it was very forgiven with dirt. We picked up her CX 5 yesterday and I told her, enjoy the clean car while it last....[emoji23][emoji23]

I bought a black car in March and regretted it as soon as I pulled in the driveway. (pissed) Lesson learned :)

Our CX-5 is red and while it's a cousin of black, it's much more forgiving.

Back