2015 DRL Daytime Running Lights repair / bulb change

You're in Switzerland and your 2015 CX-5 is equivalent to our facelift 2016 CX-5 which started selling in February 2015. Based on your video you have LED headlights with LED accent strip DRLs. The factory service manual you quoted is for standard halogen headlights in lower trims which use high-beam HB3/9005 (US) or H15 (non-US) halogen bulb with lower wattage.

In any event if the DRLs are required in Switzerland your choice is very limited and expensive. To fix the LED flickering problem you have to get the whole headlight assembly which would cost about $1,200 MSRP each and you're also going to have mis-match issues on light output and color temperature between new J version and original headlight on your right side. A friend of mine is having the same issue with one month over the 3-year warranty and Mazda North American Operations are only willing to help partially. My advice to him is to just let them go without the LED DRLs as they're not mandatory in the US.

Your right side LED DRL WILL fail after your left one. At this stage if in Switzerland the DRLs are mandatory, your best option is to find an aftermarket DRL kit incorporated with your fog lights which will be much cheaper than replacing your factory LED headlights.

Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Thanks for the info. DRL's are mandatory here in Switzerland, but cars without them just turn their headlights on, so no big drama there.

If your 5-year "factory warranty" is bumper-to-bumper, then you're in good hands. You want to pray your right-side LED DRL would fail as soon as possible so that you can have a matching "J" version LED headlights.

I double checked the book today, the previous owner purchased the "4 year and 5 year warranty extension" from Mazda to make the 3 years 5 years. I'll talk to my local Madza garage with the VIN on Monday...

Did you notice that your video is categorized "comedy"?
The nerve! Nothing funny about it. :)

True true, it's just the default. I've recategorised it more appropriately :D

I just joined this forum after researching this issue. My drivers side light was replaced in Jan under warranty. Just this week my passenger side DRL went out, my warranty expired in May even thought Im under 36000 miles.
I called Mazda Experience and they said I would have to pay half the cost at $641.31

I took my car to mazda and yep its being done under warranty. Interestingly the owner of the garage said that they cost around 300-400$ and because that is a high figure he needed to send evidence to mazda before they would authorise a replacement. I'm not about the figure, maybe that's the cost price and not retail. I saw above someone was offered a similar price as a special deal.

Maybe mazda are trying to recoup their costs by having a margin on them. If they needed to be replaced after an accident I understand but after a failure it's too pricey. Maybe try to mention the cost price and money making to get them to come down on the price. You can only try.

Hello,

New to the forum here. Happy owner of a 2014 Mazda 3 (135k miles and counting). Now looking at purchasing a pre-owned 2015 CX-5 GT with the Tech Package. Most of what I've read on this thread (and elsewhere) has identified the 2016 and 2016.5 lights as the ones with the issue. Anyone know if the lights on this 2015 trim have a known issue as well? Apologies if this has already been commented on, there was a lot of pages to go through! Thank you.

Back