48 month, 40,000 mile service

:
CX-5, fwd auto
Hi,
I have been performing dealer maintenance package to ensure warranty is covered. My 2013 cx-5 is 4.5 years old, so power train warranty is another 6 months.

I went to Mazda website and owners manual, what is actually required at 48 month, 40,000 mile? Oil change, engine air filter, cabin air filter is all I can conclude. Please let me know if I missed anything.

Dealer also recommends throttle body (physical and chemical) cleaning, but my car is running fine at this time. I do not think this is mandated for warranty. And coolant flush, but my mileage is still very low.

I also read post about lube the break pins. Can I lube the pin every 2 years? Please let me know.

Thank you.

Hi,
I have been performing dealer maintenance package to ensure warranty is covered. My 2013 cx-5 is 4.5 years old, so power train warranty is another 6 months.

I went to Mazda website and owners manual, what is actually required at 48 month, 40,000 mile? Oil change, engine air filter, cabin air filter is all I can conclude. Please let me know if I missed anything.

Dealer also recommends throttle body (physical and chemical) cleaning, but my car is running fine at this time. I do not think this is mandated for warranty. And coolant flush, but my mileage is still very low.

I also read post about lube the break pins. Can I lube the pin every 2 years? Please let me know.

Thank you.

2 yrs might be a little long for the caliper pins. Best time to do it is when you rotate the tires. Tire rotation is usually around 6-8k miles so if you do it then that would be good.

I would skip the throttle body cleaning unless you're experiencing problems like a little stumbling when you first accelerate. That's usually a profit maker for the dealers.
Also do the cabin filter yourself, takes less than 5 minutes and the dealers charge an arm and a leg. You can pick up one for less that $15.00. Dealers usually charge upward of $70.00 to replace and install. There's lots of youtube videos showing you how to replace. All you need to do is open the glove box, release the hold bars on each side, lower the glove box, pull the old one out, insert the new one and reattach the glove box hold bars. Piece of cake.

Wlong01, Thank you so much for your info. At least I know when to lube the pin and Cabin filter I can do myself.+

Could some one with a lot of mileage chime in on what I really need to change at this point. Was I correct on the things I have listed?

Very little needs to be done at this point (assuming you've followed the regular maintenance interval items). I did my caliper slide pins at 35k while checking the brake pads. All pads were good with lots of meat left.

I currently have 56000 on my 2016, yes I drive a lot, oil is changed every 7500 with Mazda Moly oil, I change the air filter and cabin filter every 25k ( do that myself) and I just recently had a drain and fill on the transmission , I assume I will need the plugs changed at 75 k , quick question, are hoses and belts changed at mileage or time ?

⋯ I went to Mazda website and owners manual, what is actually required at 48 month, 40,000 mile? Oil change, engine air filter, cabin air filter is all I can conclude. Please let me know if I missed anything.
At 48 months、40,000 miles, in addition to what you've mentioned above, I'd definitely do transmission drain and fill with Genuine Mazda Type FZ ATF. You may have to find some Mazda dealer who is willing to do it as Mazda claims the ATF is "lifetime" fluid. You can DIY too:

Change automatic transmission fluid?

For some reason so many Mazda dealers recommending throttle body cleaning or fuel injection system cleaning. Like wlong01 said these're profit maker for the dealers, and you don't need these unless you're experiencing problems. Keep using good Top-Tier gas is a better way to
prevent such problems.

I'd think once you've done checking for the first time, cleaned and applied more proper grease to all caliper pins, you should be good for 2 years or even longer. You can check the condition whenever possible, such as during the time of tire rotation.

Hoses and Belts

I currently have 56000 on my 2016, yes I drive a lot, oil is changed every 7500 with Mazda Moly oil, I change the air filter and cabin filter every 25k ( do that myself) and I just recently had a drain and fill on the transmission , I assume I will need the plugs changed at 75 k , quick question, are hoses and belts changed at mileage or time ?
Hose and belt changes are based on either mileage or time. Check the condition for these according to maintenance schedule, and replace them accordingly. Make sure to check serpentine belt tensioner for leakage too.

Last edited:
Follow the manual not the dealer, they survive buy making money off of unsuspecting customers. Changing the motor and in cabin filters are beyond simple to replace. My dealer ripped me off by supposedly changing the spark plugs at 30,000 miles. I looked in the owners manual and it states 60,000! I am usually on top of this but blew this one. I call Mazda USA and they said yes Mr. customer you are correct and we will send you an $80 dollar maintenance card.

My wife's 2015 GT AWD just turned over 66,000 miles.

I did new f&r pads at about 50k, rear diff and xfer at about 30k w/ Redline full synthetics, OE cabin filters at least every 6 months, 6 sets of front and rear Mazda value line wiper blades, OE engine air filters 3 times (just did a A/T drain/refill and had to remove air box assy, so I just changed it while I had it apart), new summer tires @ 35k-Continental True Contacts in OE 19" size, just bought a set of 16" steel wheels w/ Blizzak DM-V2's in September for winter, obviously oil changes w/ OE filters & Mobile 1 0W20 EP, all 4 plugs @ 60k and cleaned and sealed the top of the OCV (this is a known oil leakage spot w/ a TSB on it). Didn't notice it till I pulled the engine cover to do the plugs and was over 60k, so I thought why not try a quick, cheap fix first and its' been holding up great (knock on wood).
Refreshed PCM & TCM to latest versions.
Do all work myself.
And the obvious stuff, like clean and lube all body, door and hood seals, locks, hinges, etc. Leather, vinyl care with Lexol and 303.
I also use aerospace heavy duty corrosion inhibitor all over the underside of my daily drivers, CX5 & CX9.
Gonna due FL22 coolant and DOT3 synthetic brake fluid soon. Both check out ok with test strips (pH & moisture content) and specific gravity, just want to get everything done.
Belts, idlers & tensioner look good. Now that she hardly drives it, due to her new job, I'm still working on the oil level problem!
Checked battery CCA, alternator, dark current draw with meter, everything still within specs.

Thank you all. I will add drain and fill and CheCo few leaky spots. I read maintenance schedule but for me was confusing. Thanks again.

Thank you all. I will add drain and fill and CheCo few leaky spots. I read maintenance schedule but for me was confusing. Thanks again.
Yeah I agree. Sometimes the maintenance schedule may not reflect the best maintenance for our vehicles. Nothing wrong to ask questions if you have any. For example, Mazda doesn't list ATF change interval in their maintenance schedule in owner's manual, and some dealers refuse to do it because of that. But when we use our experience and common sense, the so called "life-time" fluid simply doesn't exist! The "life-time" ATF is only good for the life of warranty period, 5 years or 60,000 miles, offered by Mazda. Honda does specify ATF change in their maintenance schedule. VW doesn't specify, but then people found out the "shelf life" stamped on the bottle for OEM VW ATF is only two years! And how can we expect this VW "life-time" ATF can last for the life of the automatic transmission? (uhm)

Yeah I agree. Sometimes the maintenance schedule may not reflect the best maintenance for our vehicles. Nothing wrong to ask questions if you have any. For example, Mazda doesn't list ATF change interval in their maintenance schedule in owner's manual, and some dealers refuse to do it because of that. But when we use our experience and common sense, the so called "life-time" fluid simply doesn't exist! The "life-time" ATF is only good for the life of warranty period, 5 years or 60,000 miles, offered by Mazda. Honda does specify ATF change in their maintenance schedule. VW doesn't specify, but then people found out the "shelf life" stamped on the bottle for OEM VW ATF is only two years! And how can we expect this VW "life-time" ATF can last for the life of the automatic transmission? (uhm)

I don't know which VW you're referring to but VW TDIs had a OCI on the DSG of 40k miles.

Cabin filter can be washed with a nylon brush, it's pretty tough material. Amazon sells filters for around $10.

Hose and belt changes are based on either mileage or time. Check the condition for these according to maintenance schedule, and replace them accordingly. Make sure to check serpentine belt tensioner for leakage too.

OP need not worry for a long time imho.

Our CX-5 should be paid off at around 80k miles. At that point I'm going to do a lot of DIY work. Now changing of belts and hoses I'll leave up to the dealership once I get a X% off coupon in the mail. I'll have hoses and coolant done at the same time too. Mazda coolant is supposed to be better as it does not corrode the oem hoses I've read.

Engine oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid/pads/rotors, filters, all these I'll do DIY. There are some grey areas for me though including:

Steering fluid, water pump, fuel filter. Not sure if these are easy to do. Well water pump could be done with belts?

OP need not worry for a long time imho.

Our CX-5 should be paid off at around 80k miles. At that point I'm going to do a lot of DIY work. Now changing of belts and hoses I'll leave up to the dealership once I get a X% off coupon in the mail. I'll have hoses and coolant done at the same time too. Mazda coolant is supposed to be better as it does not corrode the oem hoses I've read.

Engine oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid/pads/rotors, filters, all these I'll do DIY. There are some grey areas for me though including:

Steering fluid, water pump, fuel filter. Not sure if these are easy to do. Well water pump could be done with belts?

Steering is electric, so no worries there.

I don't know which VW you're referring to but VW TDIs had a OCI on the DSG of 40k miles.
It's Tiptronic transmission on B5.5 Passat although mine is a V6 with stick shift. The Steptronic automatic transmission on my BMW E39 also uses "lifetime" ATF and has no ATF change interval.

Back