2016 CX-5 Body Fasteners Rusting

JRM1022

:
2016 Mazda CX-5
On my dad's 2016 CX-5, there are several screws and on the body and under the hood that were apparently not zinc coated or stainless from the factory and the heads on them are now all rusted, and look unsightly. Has anyone found replacements for these screws that will not corrode? Some of them appear to be specialty fasteners that would not be commonly available at a hardware store. Thanks!

probably surface rust. Would not worry too much. On my 2018 there are a few as well. its 6 month old car.

probably surface rust. Would not worry too much. On my 2018 there are a few as well. its 6 month old car.

It is only surface rust, but it is also pretty unsightly. I just don't want to start getting rust stains on the paint. I may go buy replacements from Mazda and paint them with something before I replace them.

It is only surface rust, but it is also pretty unsightly. I just don't want to start getting rust stains on the paint. I may go buy replacements from Mazda and paint them with something before I replace them.

instead of purchasing new ones maybe remove the screws and let them sit in rust remover for awhile and primer and paint them

instead of purchasing new ones maybe remove the screws and let them sit in rust remover for awhile and primer and paint them

I've have some evaporust laying around, it may be worth a shot. It's not a big deal, just ugly. Something I wish wouldn't happen on a car that is only a few years old.

Just bought a 2015 cx-5 and was surprised how much rust on the bolts and clamps under the hood and when my mechanic put it on the lift. It is in the northeast. I just sold my 25 year old S10 and I wipe down under the hood with WD40 and it still looked much better than my new used car! My friend said his two year old Tahoe started to rust much worse then his 17 year old Trailblazer and he was taking care of it the same so it may have something to do with the new liquid salt treatment they are using in NY. I will need to get some cans of spray lithium grease and hit the bottom of the car and take the bolts off and use the wire wheel and spray zinc coat them.

3-in-One oil should work better than WD40 for rust removal/prevention.

So here is what I did to address this. The ones on the rear were easy to find in stainless steel at a hardware store. They are #10x1/2" screws with #12 washers. So I replaced those. The ones in the front on either side of the grille aren't something you'll find at a hardware store, so for now I sprayed them down with Fluid Film which will stop any further corrosion. I also sprayed down my battery terminals too.

Back