New Motor Trend Review Signature CX-5

Well, they have to protect their choice for choosing it as their 2018 SUV of the year. (rolleyes)

They all seem the be clinging to the notion that the CX-5 2.5T competition is still CRV and RAV4. IMHO it's really RDX, Q5, XC40 and X3 when you look at features/performance vs. name.

They seem to be more concerned with fuel economy than anything. Not really what I expect from a car magazine.

"Despite the CR-V's slower acceleration, we'd still recommend comparing the CX-5 2.5T against the Honda, which is EPA-rated at 27/33 mpg with all-wheel drive and a 1.5-liter engine. Thing is, the CX-5 2.5T's extra power and torque will tempt you every time you get behind the wheel, meaning you may not achieve the EPA's 22/27 mpg estimate in the real world. Even if you did, however, that's less driving range and lower fuel economy than the CX-5 2.5 AWD's 24/30 mpg. Depending on how you feel about your role amid increasingly serious news about climate change, owning the gorgeous and entertaining CX-5 2.5T also comes standard with the guilt you may carry from driving a compact crossover with the fuel economy of a larger vehicle. Put another way, the quicker CX-5 2.5T merely manages EPA-rated fuel economy on the highway what the CR-V 1.5 AWD achieves in the city (the more challenging rating for non-hybrids)."

Maybe, and who knows what was paid for to say, but I know you couldn*t pay me to buy a new CRV...

Not until the engine problems are sorted out at least. Besides, it's no better than a Gen 1 CX5 except for MPG, so no way would I even when it's sorted.

I found the article to be spot on, except I didn't feel any fun when I test drove the CRV. It was loud and slow responding.

Mazda really need to fix the backup camera, and hopefully the new infotainment system will be available to the CX5 soon too.

I found the article to be spot on, except I didn't feel any fun when I test drove the CRV. It was loud and slow responding.

Mazda really need to fix the backup camera, and hopefully the new infotainment system will be available to the CX5 soon too.

+1. Something to improve upon and look forward to for Mazda

No trajectory and terrible resolution, I think it's pretty much the worst on the market.

i believe the new cx-5 does have back up trajectory...
resolution is not the best, but not the worst i've seen and experienced...from a scale of 10 i would give it a 7, as it does the job and i can see everything i need to.

Back