I hope Mazda did some real good stuff for 2017...

This sounds a little like heresy, but the 2017 CR-V looks a lot better than the 2017 CX-5. I'll have my cx-5 for a long time, but i probably won't replace it with another one.

I test drove the CRV with the CVT and honda did a really good job on it. It doesn't suffer from the usual complaints of a CVT, well you don't have to believe me, just read/watch all the professional reviews on it. It's really a winner.

I like the new CX5 bodystyle but the crv's feature set and overall performance.

Never drove a Honda CVT, I hope it's better than Nissans POS one.

I think the torquey little turbo definitely helps the new crv (which i drove) but i prefer Subarus "shiftable" interpretation. Despite that (and lack of handling) the cx5 was surprisingly more compelling than the xt, still digging it after almost 3.5 yrs and 64k.

Full LEDs definitely available, heated wheel and rear seats also
No, new 2017 2nd-gen CX-5 definitely uses the same LED lighting setup without LED turn signals、reverse、license plate lights. The latter two aren't a big deal but LED turn signals are the most desirable feature among these three as it isn't easy to change them to LED by customers unless you're willing to add resisters.

Heated steering wheel and heated rear seats in new CX-5? Although Japanese version does have those, but based on the examples on new 2nd-gen CX-9 last year, I don't think Mazda North American Operations will offer these two features to US customers to save their cost!

Never drove a Honda CVT, I hope it's better than Nissans POS one.
Honda's CVT is indeed much better than everybody else's CVTs right now after several years of fixes and enhancement according to many car critics. I still prefer Mazda's SkyActiv-Drive transmission but wish it can offer one or two more gears for better fuel economy.

Last edited:
that is what ive noticed with the cx5 forum. so much hate when the new cx5 was announced. they hated on all the features it has that the first gen cx5 didnt have. it was almost laughable. people were even trying to justify how the now rear air vents in the upcoming cx5 was not necessary and how their 1st gen was still better becauses it ddnt have it lol. same goes for the power lift gate. now an actual competitor in the crv shows up with loads of features, now it got everybody stuck. probably are creating an outline and studies and theories on why all those features are not needed and their 1st gen cx5 is still better lol

maybe its the denial stage. soon acceptance will be next. that the new crv is the best selling suv in america currently and the new cx5 will be superior than their first gen.
Yeah there're people here insisting floor heater vents under the front seats for rear passengers are for cooling purpose and the rear AC vents are an unnecessary feature! But I always remembered the first complaint from friend's wife who took my advice and bought a 2016 CX-5 FWD GT was why there's no rear AC vents! And the complaint was actually from her grandson climbing into the rear seat of the brand-new CX-5 very excited but found out there's no AC vents which he usually found on other vehicles to cool him down!

You actually saw better days now than in the older days. Before if you said anything negative towards CX-5 here, you'll get all kind of personal attacks like Unobtanium and I had experienced. ;)

I actually tested the heat in the back last night. Made my wife drive. I was seriously impressed how hot it got back there. It was warmer in the back then the front! I'll be happy to honestly report on my experience in the summer, too. :)

Sent from my LG V10

If anyone has any questions regarding the CRV, feel free to ask as I purchased one 2 weeks ago(Touring AWD). My only complaint so far(and its a major one) is my Apple Carplay keeps disconnecting for some reason. Don't know if its my vehicle or my phone but I plan on taking it into the dealer this week for some troubleshooting.

Is the interior wood paneling in every model?

Sent from my LG V10

I actually tested the heat in the back last night. Made my wife drive. I was seriously impressed how hot it got back there. It was warmer in the back then the front! I'll be happy to honestly report on my experience in the summer, too. :)
There's a reason why the car manufactures call those floor vents under the front seats the heater vents since 1950's. Heated air acts differently from cooled air. Hot air always go up and cold air always go down by physics. Many people don't like the hot air blowing directly into the face in winter but they most likely want cool air blowing into the face in summer. Those floor vents can't adjust the air direction other than to your feet and hence designed for heating purpose only. And with conditioned cold air distributed to the floor vents and most cold air will stay at the floor level, you'd get a lot less air volume than concentrate only to those AC vents. Not to mention you waste energy by not distributing more cold air to the upper cabin area and let the cold air "drop" by itself to cover the entire cabin.

If anyone has any questions regarding the CRV, feel free to ask as I purchased one 2 weeks ago(Touring AWD). My only complaint so far(and its a major one) is my Apple Carplay keeps disconnecting for some reason. Don't know if its my vehicle or my phone but I plan on taking it into the dealer this week for some troubleshooting.

whats your real mpg on the city. people have been confirming great mpg on the highway but city mpg seems meh.

also how does it handle compare to the cx5. a lot of reviews have confirmed handling is on par with the cx5.

how is the cvt. again most who havent test drove the crv are quick to bring up the annoyances of a cvt but again reviews have stated the cvt on the crv is really great that sometimes or just in general dont realize its a cvt

whats your real mpg on the city. people have been confirming great mpg on the highway but city mpg seems meh.

also how does it handle compare to the cx5. a lot of reviews have confirmed handling is on par with the cx5.

how is the cvt. again most who havent test drove the crv are quick to bring up the annoyances of a cvt but again reviews have stated the cvt on the crv is really great that sometimes or just in general dont realize its a cvt

I'm getting about 26 in the city. I don't drive much on the highway so I can't comment on that.

Regarding the CRV/handling, I haven't driven a CX-5 before but I have driven a 2017 Mazda3 to check out the engine/transmission(I was planning on getting the new CX-5 but needed something now). This is my first CVT car and honestly I don't understand why people make a big deal out of CVT's in SUVs. These cars are designed for grocery getting/running errands/the occasional road trip. For these purposes, the ride feels plush, quiet, and comfortable. The seats are super comfortable, and there's a ton of leg room in the rear and cargo areas. Also all of the tech thrown in makes it feel like a premium car.

My suggestion would be to test drive one. I highly doubt you'll even notice the CVT.

Is the interior wood paneling in every model?

Sent from my LG V10

I'm not sure, but while it may feel 'cheap', it looks OK especially with the black leather interior. I don't think it looks very good with the gray leather. Also remember these are just trim pieces and can be swapped out later with other trim(Honda offers more trim options) or aftermarket trim.

No, new 2017 2nd-gen CX-5 definitely uses the same LED lighting setup without LED turn signals、reverse、license plate lights. The latter two aren't a big deal but LED turn signals are the most desirable feature among these three as it isn't easy to change them to LED by customers unless you're willing to add resisters.

Heated steering wheel and heated rear seats in new CX-5? Although Japanese version does have those, but based on the examples on new 2nd-gen CX-9 last year, I don't think Mazda North American Operations will offer these two features to US customers to save their cost!

While I'm loving and appreciate the benefits of LED headlights, I'm not sure what the big advantage is of LED turn signals, other than not having to replace them as often (or ever). I assume they may be brighter, but is that really that much of an advantage for a flasher?

While I'm loving and appreciate the benefits of LED headlights, I'm not sure what the big advantage is of LED turn signals, other than not having to replace them as often (or ever). I assume they may be brighter, but is that really that much of an advantage for a flasher?

One thing to note is that were seeing the trend of new cars (all makes) reverting to stock LED headlights and brakelights. If they quit working....bulbs cannot simply be replaced. The whole housing needs to be replaced!! Therefore one potential benefit of halogen turn signals is if they go bad only the bulb are replaced all the while accepting LED bulbs in some applications.

One thing to note is that were seeing the trend of new cars (all makes) reverting to stock LED headlights and brakelights. If they quit working....bulbs cannot simply be replaced. The whole housing needs to be replaced!! Therefore one potential benefit of halogen turn signals is if they go bad only the bulb are replaced all the while accepting LED bulbs in some applications.

Very similar to the trend when HID headlights first came out, the whole housing had to be replaced upon malfunction. Luckily for the consumer those broken headlights often occurred under warranty, so the manufacturers were eating the extra cost, making them re-engineer and standardize HID bulbs. Hopefully the same will happened with LEDs, standardization of LEDs so that a whole housing replacement isn't needed. Unfortunately for us LEDs last a lot longer than HIDs, so the cost pressure on the manufacturers may not be the same....

I believe people wanting LED turn-signals have the same thinking as wanting LED DRLs -cool factor! Most people can see the difference on lit-off speed between the conventional incandescent bulb and LED as LED can lit up and off a lot faster. That creates different effect during flashing! In theory those LEDs should last almost forever but due to the build quality and inferior parts been used, we'd seen too many failures on LED DRLs. But our LED headlight issue is not related to LED quality itself, but the inferior sealing material been used which promotes mildew.

Very similar to the trend when HID headlights first came out, the whole housing had to be replaced upon malfunction. Luckily for the consumer those broken headlights often occurred under warranty, so the manufacturers were eating the extra cost, making them re-engineer and standardize HID bulbs. Hopefully the same will happened with LEDs, standardization of LEDs so that a whole housing replacement isn't needed. Unfortunately for us LEDs last a lot longer than HIDs, so the cost pressure on the manufacturers may not be the same....
Agreed! The only thing worth mention is the LED itself should be getting cheaper and brighter. If those headlight manufactures can standardize the LED parts like xenon bulbs, then we have hope to have replacement LED parts in the feature. I paid only $9 a pair for e-Bay D2-S xenon bulbs replacing failing ones in my BMW 528i. The name brand costs $70~$120 each and the OEM? $212.43 each!

Everybody here says our i-Activ AWD system (or Active Torque Split All-Wheel Drive for 2016 MY or prior) is the best in the business! I don't get too much use of it due to the mild winter in our area for the last couple of years. And the only complaint I have to our AWD system is the highway gas mileage is below the EPA highway estimate. Now I saw this post and Mazda seems to have changed something for i-Activ AWD system used in new 2nd-gen CX-9 which makes new CX-9 failed in this diagonal and offroad tests. (uhm)

The video shows the i-ACTIV AWD diagonal and offroad tests were not as expected.
[video=youtube;AhacSO7uMys]i-ACTIV AWD Test: 2017 Mazda CX-9 | Diagonal and Offroad test![/video]

For comparison, here are the CX-3 and CX-5 tests.
[video=youtube;n-uAtG9gCvM]Mazda Cx-3 2016 Awd diagonal test[/video]

[video=youtube;hbFaox-jZ5Y]Mazda Cx-5 GT 2016 - Awd diagonal test [/video]

I noticed it had an overheat warning in the CX-9 video above as well. Maybe different programming in place in the CX-9 version?

Back