Turbo went out, can't find replacement.

MrDiggler

Contributor
:
Spicy MSP #1349, '88 323 GTX, '79 10th Ann. T/A, 462 ci 4-spd
This is my first time posting in a long time. I have another Spicy MSP now and hadn't driven it much before the turbo went out the other day. I have a shop nearby ready to do the swap for a fair price, but I can't find a replacement turbo. I'm trying to avoid getting a brand new one, but am open for whatever options may be available. I've tried LKQ online salvage, Mazmart in Atlanta, and ebay and can't find a used turbo for sale. Our turbos are a Garrett GT25R ball bearing unit, correct? I know there have to be plenty of wrecked MSP's out there, including my first one. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, and glad to be back but just wish it was under different circumstances.

idk how much you're trying to spend, but you could just get the CHRA new...

Thanks, I'm on a pretty tight budget but I want it to be right. What is the CHRA and where can I get more info on it?

Edit: Searched and found some info on the CHRA. That may be the route I have to go.

Last edited:
Another option, depending on how tight of a budget and time constraint your on, is to get a regular journal bearing t25 with adapters. Your spool will be slower, but these units are much cheaper and more readily available. And they are rebuildable.

Another option, depending on how tight of a budget and time constraint your on, is to get a regular journal bearing t25 with adapters. Your spool will be slower, but these units are much cheaper and more readily available. And they are rebuildable.

Thanks. Any idea where I could get the necessary adapters?

I don't believe you can rebuild the turbo/replace the CHRA.
CHRA is available and replaceable for the stock turbo

Thanks. Any idea where I could get the necessary adapters?
there are a lot of places that will have it - ebay, atp turbo, most any place that deals with garrett turbos should be able to get it - even local places if you know any.

I'm in luck, I found several places through car-part.com who have used turbos for sale from wrecked MSP's. $450-500. I think I'm going to go that route. Thanks guys.

Back