Problem with replaced HID headlights

msvadi

Hi,

The HID headlights on my Mazda 5 have been recently replaced after vandalism. The body shop installed new Mazda OEM parts, however, it seems that they don't produce the same illumination as with the original headlights. When the headlights are on, there is a very bright spot right in front of the car that ends with a very distinct shadow line, and not much else is illuminated. I went back to the shop once asking them to adjust the headlights properly, but not much has changed.

I wonder if anyone can advise me if it's a problem with alignment of the headlights or if the parts might be defective.

I appreciate your help.

Are you certain they replaced the headlight with an OEM HID unit? Can you take some pics of the beam aimed against a wall so it'll be easier to see what's going on?

The OEM HID beam pattern from the 2010 Mazda5 headlights should look like this:

IMG_3117.jpg

There's a chance the bulb is not seated properly...maybe take a pic from behind the headlight unit as well. You could try and take off the headlight yourself to examine it further using the how-to here (you can disregard the ramps):

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...n-Upgrade-Multiple-Pics-56k-connection-beware

Last edited:
Thanks. That's certainly not the picture I see. I'll take one and post it here. I'm quite sure that they put in an OEM unit as I asked the dealer to check it.

Are both of the hot spots coming from the replaced headlight? If possible, can you block off the good headlight with a towel and see what the beam pattern is like with just the one in question?

Actually both headlights were replaced, I suspect there is a problem with both of them.

Ahhh OK. Sorry...I reread your original post and realized I misread it the times before. From your pic, it looks like the headlights are projecting light forward and even cutoff. You're saying the foreground light is noticeably less? Hard to see in front of you at night?

I see you've posted on the HID forums, I'm a member on there as well. Those guys there should be able to get you on the right track. I'll continue my posts there.

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/fo.../1416501-problem-with-replaced-hid-headlights

Last edited:
(For those who didn't read the above HID planet link) Turned out to be that the bulbs were not properly seated. After looking at the pictures, that makes sense.

Back