What have you done to your CX-5 today?

sm1ke has the right idea.

I've been running BlackVue cameras for several years ... currently the 750s front and rear in both my CX-5 and my Miata.
Very small form factor and superior video.
These dashcams don't have batteries; only a capacitor that powers them long enough to save the "current" video clip when shut down.

For both cars; I use a "PowerMagic Pro" box that taps into the fuse box in two places ... one constantly "hot" and the other powered only when the ignition is on.
When its switch is "off" the box powers the dashcams only when the ignition is on.
When the box switch is "on", I have it set to maintain power to the dashcams while the car is parked.
Timing and voltage are selectable ... mine is set to keep the cameras powered for 12 hours or until the battery voltage drops below 12.5.
After 12 hours or if the battery voltage drops too far; the cameras are powered down.

This combination has worked very well for me and I've recommended it to friends who have followed suit.

Yep, I'm using the exact same set up only using Thinkware F800 cameras on both of my vehicles.

The only thing I did differently on both vehicles was to put in a cut off switch in the main hot wire so that when I am parked for an extended period of time in the garage, the entire system is off.

Last edited:
I have it wired, with the accessory line. I'm talking about, the internal battery, that holds the power, until the camera can shut down, after the car was turned off.
There is a small 3.7V lithium battery in it, but it does not last, maybe a couple of month. Maybe, the California heat kills it.
I don't need the camera, to run 24/7. I have a full video security system(PC w/Blue Iris & Dahua cameras), that I have installed at my house.

Actually, I'm about to hardwire my wireless charger up there, as well. I have it installed, on the right side of the rear view mirror. I place my Note 8, horizontally in it. It is, an iOttie Easy One Touch charger.

I have it wired, with the accessory line. I'm talking about, the internal battery, that holds the power, until the camera can shut down, after the car was turned off.
There is a small 3.7V lithium battery in it, but it does not last, maybe a couple of month. Maybe, the California heat kills it.

That's what I like about my BlackVue cameras.
No internal battery that needs replacement ... they have internal capacitors that hold enough energy to save the "current" video file and then shut down properly when external power is cut.

That's what I like about my BlackVue cameras.
No internal battery that needs replacement ... they have internal capacitors that hold enough energy to save the "current" video file and then shut down properly when external power is cut.

Thinkware products are the same as are most systems these days.

Are the dash cams with an internal 3.7V battery still being sold?

I don't need the camera, to run 24/7. I have a full video security system(PC w/Blue Iris & Dahua cameras), that I have installed at my house.

Does your "Home Security System" protect your vehicle if it is away from home, such as at the mall, etc.? If it doesn't, see the next paragraph.

It would behoove you to purchase a system that doesn't need the internal 3.V battery. Most of these systems are of high quality and the prices have really come down over the past few years.

Not only do they protect you while the vehicle is away from home but they also are an eye witness to any traffic problem that you may encounter.

sm1ke has the right idea.

I've been running BlackVue cameras for several years ... currently the 750s front and rear in both my CX-5 and my Miata.
Very small form factor and superior video.
These dashcams don't have batteries; only a capacitor that powers them long enough to save the "current" video clip when shut down.

For both cars; I use a "PowerMagic Pro" box that taps into the fuse box in two places ... one constantly "hot" and the other powered only when the ignition is on.
When its switch is "off" the box powers the dashcams only when the ignition is on.
When the box switch is "on", I have it set to maintain power to the dashcams while the car is parked.
Timing and voltage are selectable ... mine is set to keep the cameras powered for 12 hours or until the battery voltage drops below 12.5.
After 12 hours or if the battery voltage drops too far; the cameras are powered down.

This combination has worked very well for me and I've recommended it to friends who have followed suit.

I had my CX5 booked in to have the exact same set up you are describing there with front and rear BlackVue cams but when I told them I had just had the windows tinted they wanted a 1 week wait to stick the rear cam on so I had to book again except they were booked out for 3 weeks in advance.

Time hasn't allowed me to get back to them yet.

I had my CX5 booked in to have the exact same set up you are describing there with front and rear BlackVue cams but when I told them I had just had the windows tinted they wanted a 1 week wait to stick the rear cam on so I had to book again except they were booked out for 3 weeks in advance.

Time hasn't allowed me to get back to them yet.

Sorry that you have to wait longer, but you DO want the tint film to fully cure before attaching the cameras.

Took delivery of our 2019 GT w/PP on 12/6 and over the weekend did the following:

- affixed EZ Pass to windshield
- attached rabbit's foot to rear view mirror
- installed DIY dead foot pedal cover (can't believe Mazda still leaves this with just carpet)
- adjusted tire pressure to recommended PSI (temps really dropped here)
- spent over half an hour searching the OM and forum on how to reset TPMS only to find that it's not necessary
- installed cargo net
- affixed Salt Life & USA flag decals to rear window
- applied leather conditioner to seats

Other than the above, no immediate plans to alter her from stock

My CX-5 has an appointment for new Michelin Defender T + H tires this morning, but I am not that excited about having to lay out some cash for the current Michelins that have a lot of tire slip and yet still have tread remaining. What the heck?!?! Is it true that in order for these supposed long life tires have a harder compound just below the soft rubber that allows them to claim a long tread life? I am getting tire slip at every red light and had the front slide just a little the other day in a turn. They have about 5/32's remaining so I had hoped to get a bit more out of them before this purchase. With all the rain we are getting and potential winter weather I side with safety first.

Anyway today the CX5 gets some new shoes. :)

Edit: Well that's what I get for posting in advance. I go to the appointment and cop cars and CSI are there. A employee steps out and tells me to come back later or reschedule. What are the odds that a tire store that I used gets robbed?

Last edited:
Fixed (at least temporarily) my blocked heater core with a citric acid flush, hopefully that will keep it working over winter!

Fixed (at least temporarily) my blocked heater core with a citric acid flush, hopefully that will keep it working over winter!

How did that happen? Adding wafter into the system? Or just time for coolant change?

How did that happen? Adding wafter into the system? Or just time for coolant change?

I noticed that the heater was only working on one side and was gradually getting cooler as well - doing some Googling it appears that I'm not alone in having issues with my heater matrix/core and there may be a defect with them in 2013-2016 CX5s (Reddit thread)

Depends on the time of the year. Dry summer months ill run then down to 2/32's. In winter months I want a minimum of 4/32's

Picked up Signature CX-5 on Nov 30th and got clear guard/bra on it today. My area using cinders on the road in the winter/snow months and there's nothing better than clear guard t I protect it.

Here's where it was installed:
Full front bumper
Headlights
24" of the leading edge of the hood
"A" pillars
Leading edge of roof(sunroof forward)
Mirrors
Door handle cups
Door edges
Top of rear bumper

Back