It amazes me that in 10 years....

:
2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal Metallic
I purchased my second Mazda6 in 2009.

It had auto-wipers on it, and they were insanely horrible. I'd describe them as erratic in nature.

Anyways, after upgrading from my 2009 Mazda6 to my 2019 Signature.. I've been completely blown away at all the advances in tech, comfort, etc.

However, I CANNOT believe that the wiper system hasn't been improved at all! LOL.

Driving in this morning in light (very very light) rain, my wipers are on FULL.. as if I'm driving through a torrential downpour.

lol.

LOVE everything else about the car though! Just an observation!

Did you adjust the sensitivity, or just leave it where it was? That makes a huge difference.

I purchased my second Mazda6 in 2009.

It had auto-wipers on it, and they were insanely horrible. I'd describe them as erratic in nature.

Anyways, after upgrading from my 2009 Mazda6 to my 2019 Signature.. I've been completely blown away at all the advances in tech, comfort, etc.

However, I CANNOT believe that the wiper system hasn't been improved at all! LOL.

Driving in this morning in light (very very light) rain, my wipers are on FULL.. as if I'm driving through a torrential downpour.

lol.

LOVE everything else about the car though! Just an observation!

Mine's the same. Adjustments are futile on mine. But the manual intermittent works great.

It happens when moisture builds up in the sensor.
What I do, turn it off. After a few minutes of driving, turn it back to auto.

Just the same on my 2019. They either go at full speed in drizzle or don*t go at all when there is too much rain on the glass to see out properly. The system is bought in (maybe Denso) as the sensor is identical to Toyota. It*s something they haven*t quite mastered.

Seems to work well here. I have the sensitivity set fairly low.

It doesn't matter what sensitivity I've got it set to. If I have it set low and its drizzling, the wipers are going at 100 miles a minute randomly.. and then suddenly they'll slow down, be at a good speed for a couple seconds then speed up. Even when parked in a parking lot.

My '09 Mazda 6 did exactly the same thing.

Almost every Mazda owner i've come across with auto-wipers says the same thing.

I envy you. lol

My experience: 2010 Mazda6 auto wipers worked perfectly until I had to replace the windshield due to a crack. Both my CX-5s worked/work well too, with the occasional weirdness or inconsistent behavior, but nothing I find completely annoying. Given the way these type of systems typically work (usually optical sensors for amount of perceived moisture on glass surface), I've had situations where physically larger rain drops, even if not a significantly heavy total rain, will cause the system to set the wipers at a higher speed. And of course those of us who keep the setting always on auto like I do have to rush to turn it off when, for example, when sand falling out of a dump truck in front of us hits our windshields.....adjusting the sensitivity definitely helped on my 2019, as when I originally got the car from the dealer whatever the setting was wasn't turning the wipers on soon enough for lighter rains (but still situations where I'd like the windshield cleared at some near future point).

Yup occasionally it will do something like that as it is really only looking at that small section of windshield.

But most of the time I think it works fine [emoji2371]. Maybe your bar for being annoyed is lower than mine.

Regarding windshield replacement I believe there is a treatment they need to do on the inside glass where the sensor goes. Im guessing its a defogger or descant of some kind.

Who says Mazda gave up their "Zoom zoom" campaign...

Mazda's 2018 financials talk about their new mantra: *Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030.*

So Zoom-Zoom is now "sustainable." And we got at least another 11 years of it.

Take it to the dealer and ask them to check the calibration of the auto wipers sensor. You should not be having this problem. Mine work fine........

It doesn't matter what sensitivity I've got it set to. If I have it set low and its drizzling, the wipers are going at 100 miles a minute randomly.. and then suddenly they'll slow down, be at a good speed for a couple seconds then speed up. Even when parked in a parking lot.

My '09 Mazda 6 did exactly the same thing.

Almost every Mazda owner i've come across with auto-wipers says the same thing.

I envy you. lol
Same here. And this rain-sensing wiper is having its own mind complaint has been there since gen-1 CX-5 came out 7 years ago.

To me thiss the cost issue. Apparently Mazda has been choosing cheap third-party (Denso?) rain-sensing wiper system which definitely is not comparable to many other excellent rain-sensing wiper system such as the very old one on my 2000 BMW 528i!

Interesting. I mean I do think the system in my VW works a little better. My guess is theyre using something from Bosch? I never really thought of Denso as a discount supplier though. Arent they a subsidiary of Toyota?

Interesting. I mean I do think the system in my VW works a little better. My guess is theyre using something from Bosch? I never really thought of Denso as a discount supplier though. Arent they a subsidiary of Toyota?
My 2001.5 VW Passat has mediocre rain-sending wipers (Bosch?) but my BMW has excellent system which could also from Bosch. Nippon Denso was independent from Toyota Motors many years ago and Toyota now still owns about 25% of Denso. Denso may offer different levels of rain-sensing wiper systems like Bosch, but Mazda uses cheaper system to save cost.

My 2001.5 VW Passat has mediocre rain-sending wipers (Bosch?) but my BMW has excellent system which could also from Bosch. Nippon Denso was independent from Toyota Motors many years ago and Toyota now still owns about 25% of Denso. Denso may offer different levels of rain-sensing wiper systems like Bosch, but Mazda uses cheaper system to save cost.

Fact or opinion?

Fact or opinion?
I dont work for Mazda or Denso, thiss definitely my opinion based on poor performance by our rain-sensing wipers. Usually cheap = poor performance or poor quality.

I dont work for Mazda or Denso, thiss definitely my opinion based on poor performance by our rain-sensing wipers. Usually cheap = poor performance or poor quality.

My rain-sensing wipers work perfectly fine, and I'm sure it's the same or similar system used on the 6, CX-5, and CX-3. Now, although mine work great, I'm not going to go so far as to say that there's no issue with the rain-sensing wipers, as my car is just one example of many many others out there. There is a flaw somewhere for sure, but I don't know if I would draw the conclusion that its a cheap system.

Same with the wiper system on your Passat and your 528i - it works/worked great for you, but I'm sure there are some examples out there of people who are experiencing the same thing a few CX-5 owners are experiencing. Maybe you just don't hear about it because VW and BMW have more serious electrical gremlins to worry about ;)

I think the CX-5 auto wiper works fine for the most part. Like I said I do think they work a little better in my 18 GTI but its not night and day or anything like with the infotainment system or backup camera.

Similarly the radar cruise also works better but in that case its also not a huge difference.

In all these cases I believe these are sourced systems and probably not speced as high is all.

Obviously, it works well for some people, poorly for others. End of story.

Back