What's my unicorn MSP worth?

What's my unicorn MSP worth? 4k and it's yours.

I'm thinking about finally letting go of my Mazdaspeed Protege. It's a 2003.5 MSP that I bought in 2005 with 11k on the clock. I work where I live and live where I want to be, so I really don't drive that much. After 14 years, the car now has about 75K on the odometer.
It runs and drives near-perfectly, has never been modded in any way (OK, two mods; brighter stock headlights and a clunk-fix bracket), never tracked, maintained regularly, always passed smog without a problem. One thing I CAN tell you is every time I get this wild hare up my ass to sell it, I test drive a few cars and realize how good the MSP really is. Then I keep it for another 5 years. lol.

It's a California car so rust isn't an issue. There is some minor bits, but nothing around the fenders or under the car.

I really don't know what to ask for it, but I'm definitely not letting some dealership give me 5k credit for it.

What do you guys think? Here's a pic or two of the car. All are pretty old pics, but the car hasn't changed.

spicy_market.JPG

msp4.JPG

msp1.JPG

Last edited:
I'll trade you my protege5 for it. Plus a but rub..
It's super clean id say at least 10k, but you have to find the right buyer. Everyone will try to talk you down. Happens to me, I'm asking $3000 for mine but I think I'm going to let it go for $2500.

Thanks for the response. I'm not crazy then, thinking it might be worth something? I'd hate to see it go to some idiot dealership, but life happens and I want a newer car.

Weird how the quickest FWD ever tested through the cones by Road & Track magazine isn't really desirable at all. A clean ITR is worth it's weight in gold, but here's the car that smoked it, and no one even knows what it is.

Also, hold out for the three. If it's not rusty, your P5 is worth it!

you should try posting it on bringatrailer.com and see if you can get a higher asking price. would be interesting to see. it's been a while but i believe you can specify a reserve price.

This whole post makes me sad :(

Why?

I've been in Proteges since '01 and loved em. Mazda abandoned me more than the other way around. If they made a 2020 speed3 or SOMEthing quick that I can fit a 6' surfboard in, it would be at the top of my list, but I'm not in the market for an SUV that can't go offroad and that's pretty much all Mazda offers these days. Damn, now I'm getting sad too. (uhm)
I'll keep my RX-7 until...forever, but it's about time to move on to a new daily.

I happened to come up on a couple bucks and have a 6-speed Golf R on my mind.

Last edited:
Put a set of good coilovers, or high quality struts and springs, on it and I promise you wont want to sell it for another 5 years. [emoji1]

I don't think he's saying this car sucks, it's more of having a different car makes you feel great. That feeling you get with a new or different car is amazing and we all love that feeling. I've had 7 cars and three bikes in 10 years. I just love the feeling of getting a different car, this is the only time I didn't want to get a different car. Protege it's a great car.

Man, I hate to be a downer, but if you can get $5000 from a dealer I would take it. You'll have a really hard time getting more than that out of it on the private market.

I sold my MP3 last year for $5300, and that car was a true unicorn. The rarest of the Proteges, MP3 Yellow, 1/500 made and most have since been smashed. I took exceptional care of it too, it was in damn near mint condition with a ton of extras on it.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123863170-2001-MP3-Turbo-Yellow-1071

With yours still being bone stock and even lower mileage than mine was (and newer) you may be able to squeeze somewhere in the $6-6500 range, but it would probably take you a while to sell. I'd hang on to it if you can, I fully regret selling mine but I needed a grown up car and didn't have the storage space to keep the Protege.

I hear ya, Krazie. I guess the MSP (just like the 323GTX) will always be one of those cars that if you know what it is you know, but no one recognizes it. A guy who works with my wife has been offering 6-7 for awhile now, I think I'll just take it. At least I know he'll love the thing like we loved ours.

lol I argued with the parts department guy at the Mazda dealership a couple months ago. He swore there was never a turbocharged Protege. I had to take him outside and show him. (screwy)
Protegefest pic for extra good memories of lightweight cars that didn't yell at you try to when change lanes and snitch to the insurance company on you when redlined em.
mocc%20051.JPG

Not my personal cup of tea, but congrats! I'll bet that thing will go 500k+ miles before it's finished. My friend's MDX has been bulletproof...I'll bet your RDX will be the same.

What kind of bike ya got hiding under that cover? (naughty)

Last edited:
Well, the new car will be at port tomorrow and the MSP will just be sitting from now on. Pretty sad really. It's treated me well but after 15 years it's time for a new car.

4000 takes it. (sad1)

I bought a new car and absolutely HATE to see the MSP sit. It's most likely BAT bound, but I've been so busy with work that...yeah.

Hopefully I can find someone who knows what it is.

If you weren*t so far away. I*d scarf if up. But I*m not going to Cali again for one. Already did that once. Lol

I'll get a few current pics up ASAP. Been busy with work and haven't had a chance to wash it. Once I get it prettied up I'll post some pics.

Back