GT-R oil overfilled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now THAT made me laugh out loud.

But really, you're right. I just don't see some guy in an assembly plant pouring oil into engines all day long for a living.

I didnt realise this thread was still going. No, it wouldnt be Akemi in the plant, that would be down to an exact measurement by some computerised dispenser. If my post had been read correctly, it refers to the person at the dealership doing the pre delivery inspection.

As long as the correct amount of oil is added, it is OK to be lower than the full mark. This is the risk of adding oil to the top mark......

Attachments

• Engine Skyactive G engine oil dilution.pdf
    482.4 KB · Views: 163
As long as the correct amount of oil is added, it is OK to be lower than the full mark. This is the risk of adding oil to the top mark......

"If a vehicle is driven lot of short trips". Not really the case for us fortunately.

Didnt realize this thread would annoy so many people. I was just interested in what other people were seeing and then figured Id share my update.

Which is what I thought was the purpose of a forum like this.

To be fair, I didnt expect it to be 5 pages.

I did the first oil & filter change on my 2019 GT-Reserve a couple of days ago at around the 1200 mile mark. I drained well over 5.25 quarts out as I refilled the 5 qt. jug of Castrol with the used oil almost to overflowing and then dumped at least another 1/4 quart into an empty laundry detergent jug that I use for oil to be recycled.
I used a Mazda factory filter, pre-filled it making sure that the oil soaked into the pleats pretty well and then added the reminder of the 5 qt. jug of Castrol Edge 5W-30 and another 1/4 quart of Redline 5W-30 that I wanted to use up. I checked for leaks, buttoned everything back up and went out to run some errands. I put about 25 miles on it and checked the dipstick. It was halfway between the dots.
The owners manual states the oil capacity, with filter change, is 5.1 quarts. It clearly is not. I added about another 1/4 quart to bring it up to the top dot on the dipstick. I have always kept my vehicles topped off, I don't like the idea of "anywhere between the min/max marks is OK".

Personally, this is what I go by.

attachment.php

Green is where I want to be. Yellow is ok. If it's close to the low oil indicator, I'll add a bit of oil to bring it in the green. If it's close to the max oil indicator I just leave it alone. If its in the red, I fill/drain as required.

My reasoning for this is because I treat it like a tolerance. I deal with tolerances a lot in my work, and being dead in the middle of the range is ideal, while being too close to either end can actually cause issues with operation. When dealing with oil, filling to the max line isn't going to be a problem in the overwhelming majority of cases. It just means that there's more to drain out and you're going to add a little more oil to get to the full mark.

Attachments

• dipstick.jpg
    dipstick.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
I did the first oil & filter change on my 2019 GT-Reserve a couple of days ago at around the 1200 mile mark. I drained well over 5.25 quarts out as I refilled the 5 qt. jug of Castrol with the used oil almost to overflowing and then dumped at least another 1/4 quart into an empty laundry detergent jug that I use for oil to be recycled.
I used a Mazda factory filter, pre-filled it making sure that the oil soaked into the pleats pretty well and then added the reminder of the 5 qt. jug of Castrol Edge 5W-30 and another 1/4 quart of Redline 5W-30 that I wanted to use up. I checked for leaks, buttoned everything back up and went out to run some errands. I put about 25 miles on it and checked the dipstick. It was halfway between the dots.
The owners manual states the oil capacity, with filter change, is 5.1 quarts. It clearly is not. I added about another 1/4 quart to bring it up to the top dot on the dipstick. I have always kept my vehicles topped off, I don't like the idea of "anywhere between the min/max marks is OK".

I'd much rather have mine "halfway between the dots" than the "top dot", but it's all good, I guess.

Personally, this is what I go by.

attachment.php

Green is where I want to be. Yellow is ok. If it's close to the low oil indicator, I'll add a bit of oil to bring it in the green. If it's close to the max oil indicator I just leave it alone. If its in the red, I fill/drain as required.

My reasoning for this is because I treat it like a tolerance. I deal with tolerances a lot in my work, and being dead in the middle of the range is ideal, while being too close to either end can actually cause issues with operation. When dealing with oil, filling to the max line isn't going to be a problem in the overwhelming majority of cases. It just means that there's more to drain out and you're going to add a little more oil to get to the full mark.

Agreed.

Plus it just costs more to buy a 6th quart. It's not necessary unless you find you are burning excessive oil.

With CD it's probably best to have the oil on the full mark. It probably doesn't matter but can't hurt. Mine takes exactly 5 quarts plus 425cc's, using a measuring pitcher.

With CD it's probably best to have the oil on the full mark. It probably doesn't matter but can't hurt. Mine takes exactly 5 quarts plus 425cc's, using a measuring pitcher.

The GT Reserve comes with the 2.5T engine, which doesn't have CD. Even if it did, I don't think it would make any difference.

Regarding oil changes, I don't bother measuring out how much oil to put back in. For one, I don't wait until the oil stops dripping from the drain. My oil changes would take forever if I did that. I give it a reasonable amount of time to drain, then I reinstall the drain plug with the new washer and move on. This means that there's always a very minimal amount of oil left in the pan, but the amount can vary. After one oil change I might need 5.25 quarts, after the next I might need only 5. I don't bother measuring it out because it can change - all that matters is that I get the oil level to where it needs to be, and that I remember that I'll need about 5 quarts for an oil change (plus one quart just in case I need more).

Taking the time to drain as much of the oil from the pan as possible, measuring out oil in a pitcher, filling oil so that it reaches the max mark.. all of these steps don't hurt, but they are wastes of time IMO.

The GT Reserve comes with the 2.5T engine, which doesn't have CD. Even if it did, I don't think it would make any difference.

Regarding oil changes, I don't bother measuring out how much oil to put back in. For one, I don't wait until the oil stops dripping from the drain. My oil changes would take forever if I did that. I give it a reasonable amount of time to drain, then I reinstall the drain plug with the new washer and move on. This means that there's always a very minimal amount of oil left in the pan, but the amount can vary. After one oil change I might need 5.25 quarts, after the next I might need only 5. I don't bother measuring it out because it can change - all that matters is that I get the oil level to where it needs to be, and that I remember that I'll need about 5 quarts for an oil change (plus one quart just in case I need more).

Taking the time to drain as much of the oil from the pan as possible, measuring out oil in a pitcher, filling oil so that it reaches the max mark.. all of these steps don't hurt, but they are wastes of time IMO.

I would not take the time to measure it out, but I've changed my own oil for years and can't imagine being dirty already, having all the supplies out there, pulling the dipstick, seeing that it's 1/2 quart low, then shutting the hood and walking away from it. Why not top it off? Isn't that one reason we do our own work rather than have some stranger do it?

Plus I gotta think there are incremental benefits to adding that extra 10% (1/2 quart).

edit to add: I would not dribble some in, wait for it to trickle down, check the level, and repeat until it was exact. But I'd estimate how under-filled it was and add that approximate amount.

Last edited:
I would not take the time to measure it out, but I've changed my own oil for years and can't imagine being dirty already, having all the supplies out there, pulling the dipstick, seeing that it's 1/2 quart low, then shutting the hood and walking away from it. Why not top it off? Isn't that one reason we do our own work rather than have some stranger do it?

Plus I gotta think there are incremental benefits to adding that extra 10% (1/2 quart).

edit to add: I would not dribble some in, wait for it to trickle down, check the level, and repeat until it was exact. But I'd estimate how under-filled it was and add that approximate amount.

Absolutely, you're totally right. In the end it's just preference. Nothing wrong with topping it off if you want to. But to me, "1/2 quart low" means 1/2 quart below the middle of the min max range. "1/2 quart below the max mark" is perfectly fine by me, I'll keep that 1/2 quart on the shelf for the next oil change, in case I need it for the next oil change.

Except that it requires buying a 6th quart of oil if like me you usually buy a 5 quart jug. That's added expense for perceivable no benefit. 5 quart jug has always gotten mine "close enough" to the full mark. Hell if you buy a Mazda Moly 0w20 oil change kit from Med Center Mazda, they send you....5 quarts.

Except that it requires buying a 6th quart of oil if like me you usually buy a 5 quart jug. That's added expense for perceivable no benefit. 5 quart jug has always gotten mine "close enough" to the full mark. Hell if you buy a Mazda Moly 0w20 oil change kit from Med Center Mazda, they send you....5 quarts.

Not to beat such a low-level issue to death (although that IS what the internet was invented for, and we're not allowed to discuss politics), but don't you think that extra 10% (1/2 qt on top of 5 qts) is buying you incremental lubrication/deferred degradation/cooling?

Not to beat such a low-level issue to death (although that IS what the internet was invented for, and we're not allowed to discuss politics), but don't you think that extra 10% (1/2 qt on top of 5 qts) is buying you incremental lubrication/deferred degradation/cooling?

You can't buy anything with that extra 10% you just spent for nothing.

It's not like transmission fluid where it has to be at an exact level. At the full mark, or anywhere within the range of the two dots on the dipstick, it should be performing all cooling and lubrication necessary, otherwise they should be marking oil levels more specifically on the dipstick as "it has to be here" like they do on the ATF.

At best, you're simply buying time before having to add oil....if your engine burns some by buying a 6th quart and topping all the way.

Last edited:
It's not like transmission fluid where it has to be at an exact level. At the full mark, or anywhere within the range of the two dots on the dipstick, it should be performing all cooling and lubrication necessary, otherwise they should be marking oil levels more specifically on the dipstick as "it has to be here" like they do on the ATF.

At best, you're simply buying time before having to add oil....if your engine burns some by buying a 6th quart and topping all the way.
Exactly. And agree. Zero benefit to max on oil.

Keeping your oil level at "Full" mark has many benefits sometimes more than you'd expected. Most importantly it provides greater safety margin to protect the engine. Here's a recent experience I personally encountered which proves keeping the oil level at "Full" mark is indeed very important.

My 2018 Toyota Yaris iA / Mazda2 has factory 2-year new car free maintenance and I brought it in for the first oil change at a Toyota dealer recently. They over-filled at least quarts of Toyota 0W-20 oil which I actually was not surprised. It's hard for me to check oil level as the street parking in SF Bay Area usually is not level. My son and I then drove the Yaris to LA in one weekend and I checked the oil level once I got there as the road the Yaris parked is level. Out of my total surprise the dipstick didn't show ANY oil! I purchased a quart of Castrol Edge 0W-20 and poured it in. It's still at least 1 quarts short to the "Full" mark! I added another quart and kept the third bottle as the spare because I thought the engine is burning a lot of oil. I took the Yaris to the same Toyota dealer once we got back and complained the engine is burning too much oil. They checked and found the crush washer on oil drain plug was cracked and the oil was leaking from there! I certainly didn't buy the story as I have never seen the drain plug washer got "cracked" all my life with countless oil changes. I complained to Service Manager, and she offered a full oil change immediately as I had added Castrol oil mixed with Toyota oil. She also offered an additional free oil change once Toyota's 2-year free maintenance is ended. And she agreed to check the engine compression when I bring the Yaris in 1,000 miles later checking the oil level again just to make sure the engine is not burning oil.

Although I really hate the over-fill, but IMO it did save the engine on the way to LA in this case. The over-fill INDEED provided greater safety margin!

BTW the low oil pressure warning light had never lit although the oil is 2 quarts short from the "Full" mark. And the total oil capacity is 4.4 quarts for this 1.5L.

Keeping your oil level at "Full" mark has many benefits sometimes more than you'd expected. Most importantly it provides greater safety margin to protect the engine. Here's a recent experience I personally encountered which proves keeping the oil level at "Full" mark is indeed very important.

My 2018 Toyota Yaris iA / Mazda2 has factory 2-year new car free maintenance and I brought it in for the first oil change at a Toyota dealer recently. They over-filled at least quarts of Toyota 0W-20 oil which I actually was not surprised. It's hard for me to check oil level as the street parking in SF Bay Area usually is not level. My son and I then drove the Yaris to LA in one weekend and I checked the oil level once I got there as the road the Yaris parked is level. Out of my total surprise the dipstick didn't show ANY oil! I purchased a quart of Castrol Edge 0W-20 and poured it in. It's still at least 1 quarts short to the "Full" mark! I added another quart and kept the third bottle as the spare because I thought the engine is burning a lot of oil. I took the Yaris to the same Toyota dealer once we got back and complained the engine is burning too much oil. They checked and found the crush washer on oil drain plug was cracked and the oil was leaking from there! I certainly didn't buy the story as I have never seen the drain plug washer got "cracked" all my life with countless oil changes. I complained to Service Manager, and she offered a full oil change immediately as I had added Castrol oil mixed with Toyota oil. She also offered an additional free oil change once Toyota's 2-year free maintenance is ended. And she agreed to check the engine compression when I bring the Yaris in 1,000 miles later checking the oil level again just to make sure the engine is not burning oil.

Although I really hate the over-fill, but IMO it did save the engine on the way to LA in this case. The over-fill INDEED provided greater safety margin!

BTW the low oil pressure warning light had never lit although the oil is 2 quarts short from the "Full" mark. And the total oil capacity is 4.4 quarts for this 1.5L.

I never heard of a soft aluminum crush washer cracking. My guess is that they had a rookie do it, he hand tightened it and forgot to put a wrench on it. It is terrible that we rarely believe what they tell us.
I would hate to do a new oil change and have it almost half a quart low and feel good. The extra quart is good for two oil changes, so an extra $4 or $5 bucks. It is the same amount for every oil change, no thinking necessary. I have a 2cycle measuring pitcher with clear CCs marked which makes it easy. Just have to make sure the funnel and pitcher are 100% clean.

This is why I advocate for not driving over 50 miles at a go. Safety margin!

I mean....we can justify all sorts of Mickey mousery...but honestly? Round to the nearest quart if it's a X.x, or guesstimate half a quart if its X.5 on the spec sheet, keep the rest for the next change, and motor on. It's not that big a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back